Coaching Candidates - Winslow Black Raiders

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Coaching Candidates - Winslow Black Raiders

Postby Manny99 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:50 pm

Although Coach Jared Browne has resigned, he did not leave the cupboard bare. The pieces are in place for the Black Raiders to make some noise again in Class B North next season. There will be plenty of viable candidates available to take the reins and hopefully deliver the Winslow faithful a deep tournament run in 2018. Let’s take a look at potential candidates, and the likelihood that they will have the whistle around their neck on the first day of tryouts next November.
1. Nick Pelotte - current HC of Waterville HS; one of the most decorated schoolboy players in Maine history, winner of 4 consecutive Gold Balls. And let’s not forget that in his last collegiate game he dropped 63 points. He coaching style matches his playing style – smart, tough, passionate. He doesn’t teach, so could be an easy transition across the bridge. Because both schools are a part of AOS 92, perhaps he could simply ‘transfer’ schools? Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: POSSIBLE
2. Mike McGee – former HC at Lawrence HS, current member of the Maine Basketball Hall of Fame; with two Gold Balls and several regional titles, McGee would bring instant credibility to the Black Raider program. Could he get the boys to buy into his “defense” first mentality? He is retiring from his teaching position in June, so that will leave plenty of time to devote to the program. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: POSSIBLE
3. Todd MacArthur – current HC at Winthrop HS; the former Lawrence Bulldog would bring an approach much like his mentor listed above. Coming off a terrific season which ended just short of a title, and the loss of Mr. Basketball Finalist Jacob Hickey, it may be time for “T-Mac” to jump up a class from C to B. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: MAYBE
4. Ken Lindlof – former HC at Waterville HS, former asst coach at MCI Prep, current coach of the Waterville HS Unified Team; another coach with a Gold ball on the resume, Lindlof would be a natural fit. The word on the street is that he’s tired of beating up the poor overmatched chumps he faces on the Unified circuit. He teaches in the AOS, so may be familiar with the culture of the program. He would bring a decided schematic advantage on both sides of the ball, especially in KVAC Class B. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: VERY POSSIBLE
5. Chuck Underwood – former HC at Winslow HS, currently retired. A small faction of the town is longing for the glory days achieved under Underwood. Time away from the game, and his being part of the game day staff at Lawrence games have stoked up the fire inside him. Visions of Hapworth, Otis, Nivison are dancing on Danielson Street. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: UNLIKELY
6. Ted Rioux – former HC Waterville HS Girls; Rioux’s resume jumps off AD Bourgoin’s desk! 3 consecutive Gold Ball’s, 66 consecutive wins – Wow! Who cares what gender he has coached, this guy can flat out win games. He is the Geno Auriemma of Maine HS basketball. Give him a team of Martians and he’ll coach ‘em up. Currently a resident of Winslow, with a young son climbing the youth basketball ladder, Rioux could be the one. Will they take a shot on a girls coach? Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: LIKELY
7. Phil St. Onge – former HC at Winslow and Foxcroft, current Assistant Principal at Nokomis HS. Would Phil be able to balance the demands of being an administrator and Head Coach at different schools? No. Will he give up his admin role to take a job that pays $0.25/hr? No. Why is he a candidate? Well, like Rioux, he has an aspiring son climbing the AAU ladder of success, he seems to have his thumb on the pulse of his hometown. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: UNLIKELY
8. BCBC55 – former coach/teacher/athletic administrator/author/ from 1969-2000; coached at John Bapst Memorial High School in Bangor which produced an undefeated 22-0 season and a Class B State Championship. Also has taught life lessons that cannot be taught in an academic classroom; currently a world class blogger. BCBC55 enters his interview for the job, hoping to shut up all the naysayers on MBR. With his “Basketball Percentage Offense” book in hand, (which by the way, sold over 300,000 copies) he hunkers down for his last shot at coaching. He is quickly confused when touring the gymnasium, as he sees an ‘arc’ painted on both ends of the court. Furthermore, he is flummoxed by the rectangular shaped lane. When BCBC55 played at Husson, and was offered to ‘transfer’ to UM, the lane was much thinner. Alas, he storms out of the interview when he realizes that there are no “6’7 players with a 7’2 wingspan” or “6’11 Division 1 post players” to get touches and pound on poor KVAC foes. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: NO CHANCE
Manny99

Re: Coaching Candidates - Winslow Black Raiders

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Manny99 wrote:Although Coach Jared Browne has resigned, he did not leave the cupboard bare. The pieces are in place for the Black Raiders to make some noise again in Class B North next season. There will be plenty of viable candidates available to take the reins and hopefully deliver the Winslow faithful a deep tournament run in 2018. Let’s take a look at potential candidates, and the likelihood that they will have the whistle around their neck on the first day of tryouts next November.
1. Nick Pelotte - current HC of Waterville HS; one of the most decorated schoolboy players in Maine history, winner of 4 consecutive Gold Balls. And let’s not forget that in his last collegiate game he dropped 63 points. He coaching style matches his playing style – smart, tough, passionate. He doesn’t teach, so could be an easy transition across the bridge. Because both schools are a part of AOS 92, perhaps he could simply ‘transfer’ schools? Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: POSSIBLE
2. Mike McGee – former HC at Lawrence HS, current member of the Maine Basketball Hall of Fame; with two Gold Balls and several regional titles, McGee would bring instant credibility to the Black Raider program. Could he get the boys to buy into his “defense” first mentality? He is retiring from his teaching position in June, so that will leave plenty of time to devote to the program. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: POSSIBLE
3. Todd MacArthur – current HC at Winthrop HS; the former Lawrence Bulldog would bring an approach much like his mentor listed above. Coming off a terrific season which ended just short of a title, and the loss of Mr. Basketball Finalist Jacob Hickey, it may be time for “T-Mac” to jump up a class from C to B. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: MAYBE
4. Ken Lindlof – former HC at Waterville HS, former asst coach at MCI Prep, current coach of the Waterville HS Unified Team; another coach with a Gold ball on the resume, Lindlof would be a natural fit. The word on the street is that he’s tired of beating up the poor overmatched chumps he faces on the Unified circuit. He teaches in the AOS, so may be familiar with the culture of the program. He would bring a decided schematic advantage on both sides of the ball, especially in KVAC Class B. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: VERY POSSIBLE
5. Chuck Underwood – former HC at Winslow HS, currently retired. A small faction of the town is longing for the glory days achieved under Underwood. Time away from the game, and his being part of the game day staff at Lawrence games have stoked up the fire inside him. Visions of Hapworth, Otis, Nivison are dancing on Danielson Street. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: UNLIKELY
6. Ted Rioux – former HC Waterville HS Girls; Rioux’s resume jumps off AD Bourgoin’s desk! 3 consecutive Gold Ball’s, 66 consecutive wins – Wow! Who cares what gender he has coached, this guy can flat out win games. He is the Geno Auriemma of Maine HS basketball. Give him a team of Martians and he’ll coach ‘em up. Currently a resident of Winslow, with a young son climbing the youth basketball ladder, Rioux could be the one. Will they take a shot on a girls coach? Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: LIKELY
7. Phil St. Onge – former HC at Winslow and Foxcroft, current Assistant Principal at Nokomis HS. Would Phil be able to balance the demands of being an administrator and Head Coach at different schools? No. Will he give up his admin role to take a job that pays $0.25/hr? No. Why is he a candidate? Well, like Rioux, he has an aspiring son climbing the AAU ladder of success, he seems to have his thumb on the pulse of his hometown. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: UNLIKELY
8. BCBC55 – former coach/teacher/athletic administrator/author/ from 1969-2000; coached at John Bapst Memorial High School in Bangor which produced an undefeated 22-0 season and a Class B State Championship. Also has taught life lessons that cannot be taught in an academic classroom; currently a world class blogger. BCBC55 enters his interview for the job, hoping to shut up all the naysayers on MBR. With his “Basketball Percentage Offense” book in hand, (which by the way, sold over 300,000 copies) he hunkers down for his last shot at coaching. He is quickly confused when touring the gymnasium, as he sees an ‘arc’ painted on both ends of the court. Furthermore, he is flummoxed by the rectangular shaped lane. When BCBC55 played at Husson, and was offered to ‘transfer’ to UM, the lane was much thinner. Alas, he storms out of the interview when he realizes that there are no “6’7 players with a 7’2 wingspan” or “6’11 Division 1 post players” to get touches and pound on poor KVAC foes. Likelihood he is the next HC of the WBR: NO CHANCE

manny99: Thanks for the plug. Need to correct something and add something.

Correction: My freshmen year at Husson 1955-56 the lane was only 6 feet wide. Boy was it easy to post up, my sophomore year 1956-57 it went to 12 feet twice as big and that was a little more difficult to get used to.

Addition: Had 5 State championships 2 at Orono 1967 and 1969 undefeated 22-0, 3 at Bapst in 1989, 1990 and 1993. One state runnerup at Orono 1963 lost by 1 point to Gorham on a questionable call at the end of the game in the old Lewiston Armory.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT. NO CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bcbc55

Postby lovethegame » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:50 am

Manny99, I think your hopes are higher than reality will dictate. No reasonable coach who knows about the ongoings at Winslow will apply to that position. I think you'll find that most knowledgeable coaches will steer clear of Winslow.

1) Nick Pelotte is building a respectable program at Waterville and has some good talent starting to come into the high school, so I see him most likely staying there.

2) Don't think Mike McGee is looking to get back into coaching, especially Winslow. Too many issues in coaching now and the people at Winslow would expect too much from him with his pedigree and resume.

3) Todd MacArthur has a great program going at Winthrop and he'd be insane to leave seeing how they almost beat GSA in the Class C state game. I think he'll be at Winthrop for several more years. Plus, he teaches there.

4) Ken Lindlof makes the most sense on your list. But will he apply? If he does apply, would Winslow hire a parent and want to step into that hornet's nest?

5) How old is Chuck Underwood? I only ask because I truly don't know. As with McGee, I don't see an old school coach going back to coach at a school where they know the times have changed and so have the players. Some of the knowledgeable, older coaches like being able to stay in the game by being an assistant coach and not having to deal with the headaches and time consumption that the head coach has to deal with. I don't see him applying.

6) Ted Rioux. This one made me chuckle. However, I'll indulge. Wouldn't he be in the same boat as Lindlof with his son in the program? Sure, it might make sense, but come on. After the crap-fest he went through at Cony last year there's no way anyone considers him yet. Also, what has he done since Waterville? Nothing. I don't see Rioux as a viable option.

7) Phil St. Onge. Nope. Not enough time, and you don't mix business with pleasure. He will definitely have some pull with a son in the program and with his administration standings, but that will be as far as it goes.

8) Coach Cim. I'm not sure if he grasped that you were poking fun at him for his constant regurgitation of his same old sayings and stories of yester-year? Although it was funny and creative, he did bite, whether intentional or not. It was definitely good for some laughs.

Alright, now for some seriousness. Here's who's going to apply for this position; mainly parents of current players who think they know something about coaching in the high school ranks because they coached their kids AAU-10 team one summer; coaches who are looking to make their way up the coaching ladder and have been at the JV, freshmen, and middle school levels for at least a few years now; and other coaches with varsity experience who might have been out of the loop for a year or two since they left their last position or were told they weren't being renewed. Or coaches who have been at losing programs that are looking for something more. I could see coaches like Dave Simpson, Heath Cowen, etc, applying to this position. Those will be the kinds of coaches with prior varsity experience who will be applying, not well known coaches with multiple gold balls or great resumes.

What people don't take into consideration is that coaching at any level, but particularly the varsity level, takes a lot of time, takes away from family, and is a huge commitment. Not everyone wants the issues that come with coaching either. As coaches, we love teaching and working with kids, but the headaches of having to deal with unrealistic parents, unforgiving schedules, and some student-athletes who think they're entitled to everything now makes it hard to want to coach at times. I don't blame some of the better coaches for getting done and staying out of the fire. The pay isn't worth it and the enjoyment that we use to get as coaches just isn't there as much anymore. It takes the right setup, with the right administration, the right parents, and a group of student-athletes who are willing to buy in to your program and work hard all the time. Those positions are very, very rare now, and the coaches who are willing to build and develop them into something great are getting run out and done.

I wouldn't be surprised if Winslow ends up with someone they're not expecting.
lovethegame

Postby Speed » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:44 pm

....surprise candidate speed....with Siviski as a reference....He owes the town plenty....bringing it all back home.....
Speed

Postby bdogpride8 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Hey Lovethegame.......you're the same guy on here a few years ago spewing your Rioux venom. Still holding a grudge because he crushed you with his Waterville teams. Made you run all the way to another state even. Save your opinion. The guy can teach the game as well as anyone. He would be a top candidate for any job in this state. The Cony situation means nothing. Zero. Everyone knows the truth. A gutless, spineless athletic director and administration coupled with nut job parents does not define a coach. Keep chomping on those sour grapes. Isn't there a New Hampshire forum you could write on? Please find it.
bdogpride8

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:57 pm

lovethegame wrote:Manny99, I think your hopes are higher than reality will dictate. No reasonable coach who knows about the ongoings at Winslow will apply to that position. I think you'll find that most knowledgeable coaches will steer clear of Winslow.

1) Nick Pelotte is building a respectable program at Waterville and has some good talent starting to come into the high school, so I see him most likely staying there.

2) Don't think Mike McGee is looking to get back into coaching, especially Winslow. Too many issues in coaching now and the people at Winslow would expect too much from him with his pedigree and resume.

3) Todd MacArthur has a great program going at Winthrop and he'd be insane to leave seeing how they almost beat GSA in the Class C state game. I think he'll be at Winthrop for several more years. Plus, he teaches there.

4) Ken Lindlof makes the most sense on your list. But will he apply? If he does apply, would Winslow hire a parent and want to step into that hornet's nest?

5) How old is Chuck Underwood? I only ask because I truly don't know. As with McGee, I don't see an old school coach going back to coach at a school where they know the times have changed and so have the players. Some of the knowledgeable, older coaches like being able to stay in the game by being an assistant coach and not having to deal with the headaches and time consumption that the head coach has to deal with. I don't see him applying.

6) Ted Rioux. This one made me chuckle. However, I'll indulge. Wouldn't he be in the same boat as Lindlof with his son in the program? Sure, it might make sense, but come on. After the crap-fest he went through at Cony last year there's no way anyone considers him yet. Also, what has he done since Waterville? Nothing. I don't see Rioux as a viable option.

7) Phil St. Onge. Nope. Not enough time, and you don't mix business with pleasure. He will definitely have some pull with a son in the program and with his administration standings, but that will be as far as it goes.

8) Coach Cim. I'm not sure if he grasped that you were poking fun at him for his constant regurgitation of his same old sayings and stories of yester-year? Although it was funny and creative, he did bite, whether intentional or not. It was definitely good for some laughs.

Alright, now for some seriousness. Here's who's going to apply for this position; mainly parents of current players who think they know something about coaching in the high school ranks because they coached their kids AAU-10 team one summer; coaches who are looking to make their way up the coaching ladder and have been at the JV, freshmen, and middle school levels for at least a few years now; and other coaches with varsity experience who might have been out of the loop for a year or two since they left their last position or were told they weren't being renewed. Or coaches who have been at losing programs that are looking for something more. I could see coaches like Dave Simpson, Heath Cowen, etc, applying to this position. Those will be the kinds of coaches with prior varsity experience who will be applying, not well known coaches with multiple gold balls or great resumes.

What people don't take into consideration is that coaching at any level, but particularly the varsity level, takes a lot of time, takes away from family, and is a huge commitment. Not everyone wants the issues that come with coaching either. As coaches, we love teaching and working with kids, but the headaches of having to deal with unrealistic parents, unforgiving schedules, and some student-athletes who think they're entitled to everything now makes it hard to want to coach at times. I don't blame some of the better coaches for getting done and staying out of the fire. The pay isn't worth it and the enjoyment that we use to get as coaches just isn't there as much anymore. It takes the right setup, with the right administration, the right parents, and a group of student-athletes who are willing to buy in to your program and work hard all the time. Those positions are very, very rare now, and the coaches who are willing to build and develop them into something great are getting run out and done.

I wouldn't be surprised if Winslow ends up with someone they're not expecting.

lovethegame: You hit the nail on the proverbial head. I knew manny 99 was "funnin" just as I was just "funnin" in my post back to him especially about the width of the lane from 6 feet to 12 feet when playing in college.

Did want to update him on some facts though.

The only coaching I do now and will probably ever do is in front of TV for games, watching games streamed on line or when I attend games, do it from my seat in the bleachers., in my BDN Weekly basketball column streamed games on line and here on MBR.

However, did you.lovethegame notice in at least a half of dozen times of the men's march madness games that when teams had a 3 point lead an under 10 seconds to go and on defense that they never once fouled the opposition while they were dribbling the ball.

They let the play run out and each offensive team that was behind got off a three point attempt that could of tied the same and sent it to over time or even possibly win the game with a made 3 after making the first foul shot and missing the second foul, getting the offensive rebound and kick it out for a three.

I have never seen since the 3 point shot come in in College and high school in the 80's that when a team fouled with a 3 point lead and less then ten seconds to go in game ever have the game tied up or lost.

4 things have to happen to tie or win a game.

1. Player must make first foul shot

2. Player must miss 3nd foul shot intentionally

3. Team must get offensive rebound

4. Team must score a two pointer to tie and a 3 pointer to win

In all the 35 or so years the 3 pointer has been in I have NEVER seen a game tied up or lost by fouling the dribbler under 10 seconds to play.

But I have seen a lot of games tied up because teams did not foul!

Yes, I also do a lot of coaching here n MBR and in my Bangor Daily News "Off the Rim" basketball column that is published every Tuesday in the basketball season usually from mid November to mid April.

Never lost a game since coaching in front of the TV, sitting in the bleachers . in my Column or here on MBR..

Why would I want to risk my undefeated perfect coaching record Monday morning quarterbacking in front of the TV, online streamed games, in the bleachers, in my Column or here on MBR?
CIM
bcbc55

Postby wings » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:40 am

Ahhhh Manny, 'Manny' a thoughtless, ill-considered post/comment abound at times here. The "word on the street"....comment when discussing Ken Lindlof and his aprroach with the Waterville Unified basketball team is thoughtless and ill-informed. Knowing a coach, coaching alongside coach Lindlof, Ken's approach with the Unified bball kids is much different than you portray here...True, coach Lindlof has a gold ball on his resume...the '85 Waterville Purple Panthers led by Saft and Hanson were a very good team. True too, coach Lindlof may have won back-to-back gold balls if those Wunderdogs of Lawrence hadn't stunned The Whitmore's, Eric Browne, Joe Jabar, Tracy Halliday, Mike Smith and that crew in the '86 Eastern Maine final.

It's a plus when we post accurate, well-informed info on MBR.
wings

Postby Manny99 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:11 am

Dear Wings,

I'm not sure where the "a thoughtless, ill-considered post/comment abound" derives from. Perhaps you mistakenly thought that the sensitive police flagged the "overmatched chumps on the Unified Circuit"?

Let me restate in a more PC term - I'll bet that Coach Lindlof would like to again coach high school basketball at a more competitive level. Certainly the Unified season is a wonderful thing for all of those involved, bringing an opportunity not otherwise available to many kids. Due to the fact that a majority of the coaches are volunteers, many of them are not as experienced as the coaches that Ken has faced in the past 30 years of his coaching life. He would welcome the opportunity to coach on a bigger stage.

I hope that this fulfills the a more accurate well informed post criteria for all on MBR.

Manny99

Postby footballphan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:49 am

Manny99 wrote:Dear Wings,

I'm not sure where the "a thoughtless, ill-considered post/comment abound" derives from. Perhaps you mistakenly thought that the sensitive police flagged the "overmatched chumps on the Unified Circuit"?

Let me restate in a more PC term - I'll bet that Coach Lindlof would like to again coach high school basketball at a more competitive level. Certainly the Unified season is a wonderful thing for all of those involved, bringing an opportunity not otherwise available to many kids. Due to the fact that a majority of the coaches are volunteers, many of them are not as experienced as the coaches that Ken has faced in the past 30 years of his coaching life. He would welcome the opportunity to coach on a bigger stage.

I hope that this fulfills the a more accurate well informed post criteria for all on MBR.

I could be wrong, but I believe he's mentioned on this site before that he has a special needs child...maybe he took offense to the word chumps being used to describe anything related to the Unified basketball league. That would be my guess...
footballphan

Postby Manny99 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Perhaps FootballPhan, but being a new user on this board, I don't know much about other users (except bcbc55 who has beaten into my brain keyboard stroke by keyboard stroke his every single accomplishment since 1955). And when I said "overmatched chumps" I was referring to all of the Unified Coaches who have nowhere near the coaching credentials as KL. One exception would be Coach Vachon who coaches the Cony Unified team.

Moving along, LoveTheGame writes “I wouldn't be surprised if Winslow ends up with someone they're not expecting.”
Let’s delve into some secondary candidates for the job, not as well known statewide, but certainly capable of find their names attached to a coaching opening.
Here we go with the next level of names:
1. Troy “Goose” Scott – former HC at Skowhegan HS; currently refereeing at various levels. Scott has the experience box checked off on his application, but he has been away from the game for a while. Has he crossed over to the “Dark Side” as an official full time? Would he consider jumping back into a head coaching role? He was one heck of a player and coach. He could do it.
2. Dave Simpson – former HC at Mt. Blue, long time asst coach under the legendary Jimmy Bessey. The ‘Rev’ had a tough transition into the shoes of his mentor. Unrealistic expectations, along an irrational fan base made the job a nightmare. You know what they say about replacing a legend….
3. Ben Willoughby – former HC at Erskine Academy. Ben put a lot of time and effort into the Eagles prior to Coach Bonsant returning. Unfortunately he had no talent, and the team struggled in the W-L column. Like Goose, a good player and has experience as a coach. And I believe that he teaches relatively close to Winslow. Could be a good fit.
4. Zac Ray – let’s face it, it was difficult to watch Ray move away from the community to raised him, taking his talents to Bangor High School in the early 2000’s. He feels the guilt, and is called ‘home’ to lead the Black Raiders into the next decade.
5. Jay Dangler – current assistant coach at Messalonskee HS. Coming off a trip to the State Class A final, Coach McLaughlin’s staff is in high demand. Dangler has been Pete’s right hand man for a few seasons, and is longing to run his own program. His championship pedigree makes him an attractive candidate.
6. Kurtis Bixby – lead assistant coach at Thomas College. Kurt brings some collegiate coaching experience to the job search. A local kid made good, Kurt has coached at Lawrence, Messalonskee and Thomas. He has honed his reputation on post development, and is ready to become the head man. Could be the sleeper candidate that LoveTheGame is referring to.
7. Jason Briggs – former HC at Waterville HS, former AD at Winslow, current assistant principal in Winslow. Nah, see prior post on St. Onge – it won’t happen, although Jason would be a heck of a get for the Black Raiders.
Manny99

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur