2017 KVAC A North Awards

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

2017 KVAC A North Awards

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:32 am

2017 KVAC A North Awards

Coach of the Year: Russ Bartlett, Hampden Academy (14th Year)
Player of the Year: Mason Cooper, Lawrence (Sr.)

1st Team All-KVAC North A
Cameron Allaire, Medomak (Sr.)
Mason Cooper, Lawrence (Sr.)
Zach Hartsgrove, Nokomis (Jr.)
Ian McIntyre, Hampden (Jr.)
Mike Norton, Oceanside (Jr.)
Jordan Roddy, Cony (Jr.)
Nate Violette, Messalonskee (Sr.)

2nd Team All-KVAC North A
Noah Bonsant, Erskine (Jr.)
Kyle Donlin, Medomak (Sr.)
Noah Heidron, Camden (Jr.)
James Kouletsis, Messalonskee (Sr.)
Connor McGuire, Gardiner (Jr.)
Nate Raye, Oceanside (Sr.)
Josh Smestad, Nokomis (Jr.)

Honorable Mention
Brad Allen, Nokomis (Sr.)
Cooper Hollingsworth, Mt. Blue (Sr.)
Sam Atwood, Oceanside (Sr.)
Jack Jowett, Erskine (So.)
Cam Barnes, Skowhegan (Jr.)
Garett McSweeney, Skowhegan (Sr.)
Hunter Chasse, Gardiner (Sr.)
Griffin Tuttle, Messalonskee (Sr.)
Marcus Christopher, Skowhegan (So.)
Cooper Wirkala, Oceanside (So.)
Brendan Curran, Skowhegan (Sr.)
Cam Wood, Brewer (Sr.)
Cole Heaberlin, Gardiner (Jr.)

All Defensive Team
Mike Bailey, Brewer (Sr.)
Noah Bonsant, Erskine (Jr.)
Marcus Christopher, Skowhegan (So.)
James Kouletsis, Messalonskee (Sr.)
Mike Norton, Oceanside (Jr.)
Chase Warren, Messalonskee (Jr.)
Ross Webb, Hampden (So.)

All-Rookie Team
Tucker Charles, Messalonskee (Fr.)
Jack Jowett, Erskine (So.)
Bryce Lausier, Hampden (Fr.)
Simon McCormick, Cony (Fr.)
Kory Winch, Hampden (So.)
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: 2017 KVAC A North Awards

Postby wings » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:17 am

Glad to see the Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference honoring an All-Defensive Team, defensive prowess. Defense, an important and sometimes overlooked facet of the game.

Erskine's Noah Bonsant had an exceptional season protecting the rim, blocking shots.

Congrats to all honored in KVAC
wings

Postby jake » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:59 am

Nice list, great to see players get recognition. However, could someone explain why their are 2 extra players on the 1st and 2nd team? Does this water down the honor? wouldn't picking 3 teams of 5 be more logical?
jake

Postby Carl Parker » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Jake,
I agree with your post. We argued to no avail, when I coached at Nokomis that 5 play the game and that is what we should pick. AD's who try to be politically correct decided a percentage was the fairest way and the percentage said 7 on each team. Coaches said if percentages and being politically correct were important than add one more and have 3 teams like you suggested. My vote, to me, which would make striving to make the team more important was to pick 5. Do that for a defensive team and a rookie team. I believe that would raise the bar in each league and help to improve the game.
Carl Parker

Postby tjm502 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:45 pm

The only question I really have is with the Coach of the Year. I know Bartlett is a hell of a coach and this is in no way against him, but I can think of 2 coaches that should have won it ahead of him.. One is Coach Depatsy as he went undefeated in the regular season (18-0) and 2 is Coach Breen who went 15-3 and takes his team to the Regional Final for the 2nd year in a row after no one predicted they would go very far this year and doesn't win the award?

I know I am biased toward Oceanside and have coached with Breen before, but come on... What does the guy need to do to get some recognition for the work he has put in? I know he has rubbed people the wrong way at times and this is probably why he has never won the award even though he has done some very good things with his teams over the last 12+ years.

Either way, congratulations to all award winners.
tjm502

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:47 pm

i believe the awards are voted on before the postseason....so going to two straight regional finals would not have been taken into account
wmtwsportsprod

Postby tjm502 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:10 pm

wmtwsportsprod wrote:i believe the awards are voted on before the postseason....so going to two straight regional finals would not have been taken into account

Ok, so the 3 coaches are 18-0, 15-3, and 14-4 in the regular season. All 3 lost significant players from last year. Who wins the award?
tjm502

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:26 pm

i am not you had the best record you should coach of the year guy...sometimes with returning talent you should have best record (not saying that is necessarily the case in this example)
wmtwsportsprod

Postby tjm502 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:54 pm

wmtwsportsprod wrote:i am not you had the best record you should coach of the year guy...sometimes with returning talent you should have best record (not saying that is necessarily the case in this example)

Oh I get it, but now that I am thinking of it. The best coaching job may have actually gone to Coach Bonsant at Erskine. Took that team from 0 or 1 win last year to a .500 record and a spot in the playoffs!

Again, I am not trying to take anything away from Coach Bartlett. He did an excellent job, but just think there were better options this year.
tjm502

Postby tjm502 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:37 pm

wmtwsportsprod wrote:i believe the awards are voted on before the postseason....so going to two straight regional finals would not have been taken into account

Actually, just found out that all awards were voted on in a meeting the Monday before the State Championship game. So it was after the regional finals.

And really, the only other award that I would change is I would have made Allaire the POY and Cooper would have been 1st Team, but that is really it. And this is probably because I have seen a lot more of Allaire and I believe that Medomak would not have been undefeated without him on the floor for them. He was the absolute difference maker as he was double and tripled team most of the year and still averaged well over a double/double.

Either way, congrats to all award winners!
tjm502

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur