ZEBRA OF THE YEAR???

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: ZEBRA OF THE YEAR???

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Patsfan07 wrote:Speaking of County officials, Mike Thurston of Caribou who hit the winning shot vs Westbrook in the 1969 state Championship game at the Mecca, turned out to be a great basketball official.....I believe he lived in the Bangor area during his reffing days. He would have been a legit Zebra of the Year winner back in the day.

Cim, you must have worked with him as a ref and I suspect he reffed some of your John Bapst games.

Paatsfan07: Never had the pleasure to ref with Mike. My loss.

Always glad to see him on the assignment list for all my home and away games at John Bapst and the tourney.

If Mike came back today he would be at the top of my list as one of the best today. He got done reffing way too early.

I think if I remember correctly he told me the travel got to him and he wanted to spend more time with his family.

Mike taught at the Old Town Elementary school(s) as a physical education teacher all his educational career.

As great an official that Mike was, he is an even better human being.

He would never win reffan's negative "Zebra of the year" because he was always in shape, didn't miss many if any calls and the only thing that was funny about Mike was his great sense of humor.

I don't remember of him ever screwing up in a game. As near the perfect ref that there could possibly be.

He always called tourney games just like he called the first game of the season as he did in December.

Mike was the most consistently consistent official that ever reffed my Bapst teams games.

Now of refan's award was entitled. "Most perfect ref ever" then Mike would win that the first time the award was given out.

Sorry he just would not qualify for Reffan's award.
bcbc55

Postby reffan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:45 am

lol....you kill me cimbo......

"height challenged" is the politically correct way of describing someone who is on the "short" side. reffan was trying to be nice.
And the votes are legit. reffan has them all and Kimball won by 1 vote over Johnson.

And of course this is not a Zebra of the Year where the best ref in the state gets it. That would be boring and redundant....Mertzell would win every year! Tom would fire the reffan cause no one (except for Jeff) would read the posts.

Kimball may be an excellent official...but cim...one call can make an official.......it is just the nature of the game....in all sports!

and reffan thinks its a good thing that a northern official won the award.....The three major boards now have a winner of this prestigious award!

oh and reffan knew Mr. Thurston....and you are right....a real good official and a good person! And you are right...he would never be up for this award!

*and reffan does not accept your resignation.......
reffan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:36 am

reffan wrote:lol....you kill me cimbo......

"height challenged" is the politically correct way of describing someone who is on the "short" side. reffan was trying to be nice.
And the votes are legit. reffan has them all and Kimball won by 1 vote over Johnson.

And of course this is not a Zebra of the Year where the best ref in the state gets it. That would be boring and redundant....Mertzell would win every year! Tom would fire the reffan cause no one (except for Jeff) would read the posts.

Kimball may be an excellent official...but cim...one call can make an official.......it is just the nature of the game....in all sports!

and reffan thinks its a good thing that a northern official won the award.....The three major boards now have a winner of this prestigious award!

oh and reffan knew Mr. Thurston....and you are right....a real good official and a good person! And you are right...he would never be up for this award!

*and reffan does not accept your resignation.......
r

reffan: OK good post, you are forgiven. I retract my resignation.

However, I want a recount on those votes for Shawn: Most must be going on refriders post. Coming from the county he might not know a good official when he saw one. If that call had gone the other way would he have been nominating Shawn?

Shawn is a personal friend and a very good official. Talking to people who saw the incident they said he was CORRECT ON HOW HE HANDLED IT.

How many of the voters that voted for Shawn saw the incident themselves? Or are they just going on refrider's SAY SO . If so, that is just HEARSAY.

I SAY give the award to the ref with the next highest votes, whoever that is. Voters must have wanted to get it out of the West this time.

Your reinstated assistant.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby reffan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:24 pm

sorry cim,

reffan talked to his board of directors.....votes are the votes......Kimball won fair and square.

Whether he was right or wrong.....Mr. Kimball is now a legend! He is now known all over the state!

reffan cant do anything about his height....maybe get some lifts???

you have to admit Cim......calling him out as a "gutl*** dwar* is the line of the year! and "counting by twos to five" is pretty good too!

he is with good company cim.....Richard Johnson, George Ayoob, and Jim Coffin were all past winners....pretty good officials and good guys! They all have little things that makes them stand out.....none of these three were named ZOY because they are bad officials......Ayoob got it because of he refs like he belongs in Germany in the 1930's......Johnson got it because he is the biggest suck up known to man.....and Coffin got it because he runs like the dog handlers at the Westminster Dog show......maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time....but that is sometimes how legends are born!
reffan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:25 pm

reffan wrote:sorry cim,

reffan talked to his board of directors.....votes are the votes......Kimball won fair and square.

Whether he was right or wrong.....Mr. Kimball is now a legend! He is now known all over the state!

reffan cant do anything about his height....maybe get some lifts???

you have to admit Cim......calling him out as a "gutl*** dwar* is the line of the year! and "counting by twos to five" is pretty good too!

he is with good company cim.....Richard Johnson, George Ayoob, and Jim Coffin were all past winners....pretty good officials and good guys! They all have little things that makes them stand out.....none of these three were named ZOY because they are bad officials......Ayoob got it because of he refs like he belongs in Germany in the 1930's......Johnson got it because he is the biggest suck up known to man.....and Coffin got it because he runs like the dog handlers at the Westminster Dog show......maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time....but that is sometimes how legends are born!

reffan: OK I accept it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. That's life and who ever said that "Life is Fair"?

Of the previous winners, Shawn is the best official in my humble opinion. But I am bias, of course and Shawn is from Eastern Maine.

I would agree with your last paragraph completely.

Timing is usually everything even in officiating.

Thanks,

Your assistant to be.
bcbc55

Postby jake » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Babc,
Great job of selling Mr. Kimball down the river.
jake

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:19 pm

[quote="jake"]Babc,
Great job of selling Mr. Kimball down the river.[/quote

JOke: First, Its bcbc not babc.

Second, I did not sell Shawn down the river, I was defending him as he wasn't really exactly pleased that he had been made fun of by someone he didn't even know from Western Maine.

Third he certainly is a better official then the previous Zebras of the Year and any official from Aroostook County who refrider who started all this with Shawn in the first place who thinks there are a lot of good officials in the "COUNTY".

It looks like you are just looking for things to jump on me.

Looks kinda personal to me, why is that? Because especially when you are hiding behind a user name.
bcbc55

Postby refrider » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:20 am

Cim, I think you misunderstood me. As I go around the state the only worse place then the county for officials is downeast. My point was that there are lots of officials in the county that if they were lucky enough to make the pool would be better candidates than Shawn. And to be honest, Pete Webb put Shawn in that predicament. Shawn read the pre game sheet that said put the ball down as soon as the second horn sounds. Which he did. But there was nothing on the sheet about giving out t"s for coaches running up the sideline to call time out. Which by the way is what should be done in the coaching box. So Shawn took it upon himself not to ruin the game any further and by doing so he ruined the game for one team twice and the other team not at all. So by being politically correct he got nominated for and won the award. Refrider is not the only one who noticed this agregious act either as other posts to this thread have mentioned how bad it was. I think this was just as bad as Jim Burr not going back to the floor in a one point game with 2 seconds left on the clock. That killed his storied career. Lets hope this doesn't kill Shawns.
refrider

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:25 pm

refrider wrote:Cim, I think you misunderstood me. As I go around the state the only worse place then the county for officials is downeast. My point was that there are lots of officials in the county that if they were lucky enough to make the pool would be better candidates than Shawn. And to be honest, Pete Webb put Shawn in that predicament. Shawn read the pre game sheet that said put the ball down as soon as the second horn sounds. Which he did. But there was nothing on the sheet about giving out t"s for coaches running up the sideline to call time out. Which by the way is what should be done in the coaching box. So Shawn took it upon himself not to ruin the game any further and by doing so he ruined the game for one team twice and the other team not at all. So by being politically correct he got nominated for and won the award. Refrider is not the only one who noticed this agregious act either as other posts to this thread have mentioned how bad it was. I think this was just as bad as Jim Burr not going back to the floor in a one point game with 2 seconds left on the clock. That killed his storied career. Lets hope this doesn't kill Shawns.

refrider. I like your user name. If I misunderstood your post then could you let me know exactly what happened as I did not see the game.

Did Shawn put the ball on the floor after the second horn sounded?

Did he or did he not call a T on either of the coaches?

Where I am confused is what did he do or not so to earn the Zebra of the year award?

I also disagree that there are unknown officials in Aroostook county or Downeast for that matter that are better officials then Shawn.

However, that is something we can just agree to disagree. I am more interested in what made you start this post that many jumped on the band wagon that Shawn should win this award.

Please explain again. Thank you.
bcbc55

Postby refrider » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:53 pm

! point game after 3 periods. Second horn sounds with both teams still in huddle. Horn sound ends, Shawn puts ball down. Check off Webb's box on that one. Girl runs to far side of court. Grabs ball and throws it into the air. After ball leaves girls hands and well before 5 seconds has elapsed, Shawn blows whistle and calls five seconds. OK Bad call move on, 13 seconds left in game still a 1 point game. ball is about to be awarded to same team that he already harmed. Opposing coach runs up past the half court line to call time out. Shawn turns around and calmly calls time out. This was a huge advantage to give that coach as it took him running 20 feet out of his coaching box to get the TO. It also allowed the team a chance to set up their defense. In my humble opinion as someone who has been involved on both sides of the coin, Officiating and coaching, the Shead coach should have, by the same rules as Shawn used to put the ball down, been assessed a technical foul for leaving the box. Why in the world would we say I don't want to ruin the game in that situation but have no problem ruining the game in the other situation? BTW You are still misinterpreting my comments on the county. Officiating sucks in the county but it is worse down east!
refrider

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur