ZEBRA OF THE YEAR???

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: ZEBRA OF THE YEAR???

Postby Patsfan07 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:25 am

reffan, I don't think you saw my earlier post\vote:

My vote for Zebra of the Year is Al Haliday. He was a great ref in his day but well before the internet days, so this would be a great honor to go out on.
Patsfan07

Postby reffan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:42 pm

sorry patsfan, reffan did see your post but work has gotten real busy with the nice weather...forgot to post back to you.

It would be a great honor to Mr. Haliday. going to the games this year, reffan asked some of the older people, especially in Augusta, and everyone had something nice to say about him.

He was the face of Augusta for many years. He was missed this year. Reffan did hear that he is home and recovering well from his fall. Reffan wishes him all the best!

it does get the reffan mad that Webb and the MPA have not come clean and told us why he was fired from his job as the Supervisor of Officials. reffan is hopeful that Tom will get to the bottom of this.....but his hands could be tied.

thanks again patsfan!

Q
reffan

Postby reffan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 am

Oh Boy...this is the closest Zebra of the Year in the 5 years of its existence!!!

Foster is out.....only the Campbell's and Quinn voted for him
Except for a couple of Westbrook people....Ayoob aka the Ref Nazi, got very little support this year...although he was a winner of this award a couple of years ago.

Chris "Mr. Palm" Kelly started off hot......but cooled down the past two days.....so he is out...

there were a couple of votes for Al Haliday....and there was a late surge for Joe "Wild Wild" West....the guy who called a T on the flop early this year. Sadly, reffan heard West quit reffing when Webb did not select him for his tourney this year. Say it so Joe.....you made a fan of the reffan this year....please stay!

But we have a tie right now for the coveted Zebra of the Year award.....

Clemenza (Richard Johnson) and Craig "the gutl*** dwar*" Kimball......
*northern Maine people are pushing for him bad.....but reffan thinks the whole town of Brunswick has voted for Clemenza!

so reffan is going to keep the voting open until Noon today! reffan needs to get to Yarmouth for a 100 appointment....
reffan

Postby reffan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:48 am

Previous Zebra of the Year Winners:

2016 Richard "Clemenza" Johnson
2015 Jim "the dog handler" Coffin
2014 George "the Ref Nazi" Ayoob
2013 Barry "Fn" Fuller

2017........................can Clemenza go "BACK TO BACK"???? or does a Northern Maine Zebra (Kimball) become first one from the North to win????

Reffan will check his text messages and email after he has lunch......little Olive Garden for the reffan!
reffan

Postby reffan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:46 pm

drum roll.....................

Reffan just sitting at his table at the Olive Garden in SP........looking at his text messages and his emails.......there is a winner......

first off...thanks to the Brunswick basketball coach.....for his picking up of the reffan's lunch today....reffan was surprised when the manager came over and said your lunch is being taken care of. The manager said a man named Hanson called and took care of the lunch (drinks included!).....he just had one word for the reffan....Clemenza!

that was going to tip the scales for Clemenza...until reffan turned on his email....and in the inbox....an email from our Governor. He voted for KImball......the gutl*** dwar*.......wow......when the Governor emails you...that is BIG....so......

..............the 2017 Zebra of the Year is going to......Shawn Kimball!!!!! He is the first Northern Maine Zebra to win the award!

Congrats Shawn....reffan does not know you or have ever seen you work......but refrider's comment were freaken priceless! Reffan is assuming you are "height challenged"? (reffan is politically correct!) and then saying "counts by two for a five count" oh man...reffan hasn't laughed like that since Clemenza got on one knee years ago and kissed Webbs ring at a X mas tourney at the Expo.

To beat out Clemenza.....a past winner....who had a great season too.......tattoo of Webb on his back, driving 3 plus hours in a snow storm to shovel Webb's driveway, and sending Brunswick home in the tournament with a "long range" call with 0.00 left.......this means you Mr. Kimball are special!

Your T-shirt will be mailed out shortly!

You are in some good company now.....Fuller, Ayoob, Coffin, Johnson, and now Kimball

Congrats again!! and sorry Coach Hanson......no hard feelings.....and thanks for the lunch!

I am Reffan
reffan

Postby calculator » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Reffan can't be bought… He was raised properly!
calculator

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:21 pm

reffan: Not to shake your confidence, crediabilty, or your reliability but Shawn Kimball is a very good official and I was always glad to see him show up to work any of my games.

I did not see the game in which he is being criticized for by refrider.

The criticisim is coming from the county, thus with my experience with the officiating over the years when I took my Bangor teams to the county 33 times and having played there when at Bangor High School 8 times and at Husson college 6 times and having coached there a year at Fort Fairfield for 18 times, he who is without a bad call should not throw the first stone....and neither should anyone that has not officiated.

Height challenged???? Discrimination maybe?

Seeing you have never seen Shawn work it is not fair to put him in with the other 5 that are all from down your way or Central Maine south.

How many people that voted for Shawn actually saw him work??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

One game or call does not a poor official make.

You must be desperate to go north of Augusta for this years selection or are you to close to the scene there?

Therefore I am resigning my position as your assistant to be.
bcbc55

Postby refrider » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:30 pm

I think it is a great choice. This years winner did not work ANY games after his railing of a county team. Even Webb and Ames who were in attendance must have been shocked as well at his lack of stature lets say!!! Great pick Reffan. But like bcbc says, there are many more up here that don't work the tourney that wuld qualify if seen. Next year you will receive all my notes as I travel the north woods watching what is left of basketball!
refrider

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:30 pm

refrider wrote:I think it is a great choice. This years winner did not work ANY games after his railing of a county team. Even Webb and Ames who were in attendance must have been shocked as well at his lack of stature lets say!!! Great pick Reffan. But like bcbc says, there are many more up here that don't work the tourney that wuld qualify if seen. Next year you will receive all my notes as I travel the north woods watching what is left of basketball!

refrider: I don't think you got the real jest of my post I was not being positive about county officiating. In fact, the 33 games I coached up there when I was at Bangor 1969-77 we were 21-6.

The only reason we won so much up there was that we wanted the ball on offense 70 percent of the game which we did. That way we only took unmolested layups and foul shots. This way when they tried to call things on us it was a lot harder because it was so obvious even to the home fans.

Hard to call fouls on us because we played zone and were only on defense about 30% of the games. Sometimes we even went to the extreme if things were not being called at least somewhat fairly in our slow down games we would tell the players when you take that unmolested layup only you had better make it if you take if cause if you miss it just keep going right into the locker room.

How's this for my first game on the county in 1969 at PI when I was at Bangor. Referee gets ready to toss the ball up to start the game.

He says," Bangor captain 22 are you ready"? 'PI captain, Jim are you ready'? Quote from my captain number 22.

Where do you think the saying "Getting Countified originated from?
bcbc55

Postby Patsfan07 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:16 pm

Speaking of County officials, Mike Thurston of Caribou who hit the winning shot vs Westbrook in the 1969 state Championship game at the Mecca, turned out to be a great basketball official.....I believe he lived in the Bangor area during his reffing days. He would have been a legit Zebra of the Year winner back in the day.

Cim, you must have worked with him as a ref and I suspect he reffed some of your John Bapst games.
Patsfan07

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur