Classification

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Classification

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:54 pm

jake wrote:Why wouldn't they divide the classes up as even as they possibly can using 2 models 5 class and 4 class. There are 140 plus teams so if it is 5 classes there would be roughly 14 teams in each class north and south or with 4 classes roughly 17 or 18 in each class north and south. This is much more consistent than anything they have proposed. Committee members need to worry less about their own interest but what is best for the sport and the kids that play. The MPA needs to step up and help these committees who have a tough task dealing with what is best for their school and what is best for all. Leadership has not done this and that is sad.

jake: I couldn't agree more with your entire post. Good post and it is a very fair proposal although favor going back to 4 classes with 142 teams with 3 classes of 18 and one of 17 teams per 8 .classes. 4 classes each for North and South.
bcbc55

Postby BrazilianShenanigan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:05 pm

This site has turned into a public place for the members to complain about any topic of choice; from classification, refereeing, coaching, and comparing generations.

If I wanted to see that, I'd just go to Facebook.
BrazilianShenanigan

Postby thebam » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:44 pm

BrazilianShenanigan wrote:This site has turned into a public place for the members to complain about any topic of choice; from classification, refereeing, coaching, and comparing generations.

what's stopping you?
thebam

Postby lovethegame » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:18 am

Has anybody else noticed that the proposed enrollment numbers for AA are almost the same numbers as what Class A was BEFORE the 5 class system?! How does this make any sense?! The new Class A numbers are only a little bit higher than what the old Class B numbers were before the 5 class system, etc...

You can't take what were once the Class A enrollment numbers and call them AA, take what were once the Class B numbers and call them Class A, and then split up the remaining enrollments among the last three classes and call it good. It doesn't work that way, especially when your drastically packing Class C with an unreasonable amount of teams.

Once again, I ask, how stupid can they be?
lovethegame

Postby jake » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:52 pm

Still trying to understand the comment 2 years ago that we had a problem in D so we created an extra class yet did nothing to balance those classes. We now of a playing field that is not close to being balanced and we have a new set of problems. Schedules are a mess, some teams in the same class and conference have a much harder schedule than other members of the same class and conference. Is that fair? Is playing opponents just once fair? If your an A school having to play AA schools when other A schools are playing B schools,is that fair? Not having the opportunity for your sub varsity teams play teams they will play when they become varsity players, because of travel,is that fair? This is just to name a few issues.
jake

Postby HoopHopeful » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Postby BrazilianShenanigan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:05 pm
This site has turned into a public place for the members to complain about any topic of choice; from classification, refereeing, coaching, and comparing generations.

And wouldn't this post be nothing more than a complaint?? And while we're at it, how dare you call me a member, I'm a user...... Go Back to facebook
HoopHopeful

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:20 pm

jake wrote:Still trying to understand the comment 2 years ago that we had a problem in D so we created an extra class yet did nothing to balance those classes. We now of a playing field that is not close to being balanced and we have a new set of problems. Schedules are a mess, some teams in the same class and conference have a much harder schedule than other members of the same class and conference. Is that fair? Is playing opponents just once fair? If your an A school having to play AA schools when other A schools are playing B schools,is that fair? Not having the opportunity for your sub varsity teams play teams they will play when they become varsity players, because of travel,is that fair? This is just to name a few issues.

jake: Excellent and informative post of which I agree with 100 percent. I will be writing about the classification situation in my Bangor Daily News "Off the Rim" Column
next Tuesday, March 14th issue. That is why I will not be commenting on classification until that article comes out.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:00 am

Potential Class AA changes could send Bangor teams to Portland for basketball tourney

Maine’s five-class format for high school basketball recently completed its second year, but momentum is building for changes to the large-school class. That means future Bangor High School teams may face longer postseason road trips in pursuit of state championships.

The future of Class AA basketball, both its North-South format and its tournament site, is expected to be discussed when the basketball committee of the Maine Principals’ Association meets March 31 in Augusta.

One possible change could replace the North and South divisions of Class AA and their separate regional tournaments with a single 16-team division and one championship tournament for the state’s largest basketball-playing schools.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/09/s ... l-tourney/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby dunbar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:44 am

I'm of the belief of balanced classes, with no class having the largest school no bigger than twice the size of the smallest school. The fact that Class C proposed has more schools than Class D had in the four class system, just shows the ineptitude and biases that exist within the MPA Classification Committee. Not to mention, you still have the largest school (Stevens at 320) approximately 240% of the size of the smallest school (Fort Fairfield at 132). This is just one issue.

AA is a lost cause. Either move some schools up (750+ seems reasonable, still higher than the 665+ with four classes and baseball and soccer), or put them in one region. Yes, Bangor has to travel. Bangor will always have to travel, unless you assign tournament sites by the school and higher seed, rather than by region.

Class D is fine. No school is bigger than 120, which theoretically means they can all use 8th graders, assuming there's an equal number of boys and girls in the school. This is the only class that should remained unchanged.

So, leave AA as one region and D the same as well. Now we have to fix A-B-C. As proposed, we have the following:

A 24
B 30
C 42

Let's not worry about North-South yet. Schools should be assigned by class first, then by region, and class cutoffs should have no geographic bias. Here we have 96 schools in these three classes. Ideally, you'd have 32 in each. However, there's a monkey wrench with some Class C schools in the southern part of the state only playing girls basketball. Let's go with this:

A 30
B 30
C 36 (32 boys)

This means we move six schools up from B to A and six from C to B. The biggest school proposed in B is (surprise) Presque Isle, followed by Yarmouth, Waterville, Cape Elizabeth, Gray-New Gloucester, and Mt. Desert Island. All placed in Class A. Oceanside still moves to B. The six biggest schools proposed for C are Houlton, Central, Mattanawcook, Stevens, Hall-Dale, and Dexter. All placed in Class B.

Now we have to balance the regions. If we don't move anybody, Class A is split 15/15, Class B is 18/12, and Class C 15/21. For Class B, the easy schools to move from North to South and Oceanside and Winslow. In Class C, move Searsport back to the North where they belong. This creates a 16/20 split, but 16/16 for boys.

Will schools have to open up their scheduling minds? Yes. Although, I believe the trend of scheduling more locally will continue. As long as we don't have a scenario similar to the MVC schools only playing four games within their class, it'll be fine.

Just some thoughts as I'm stuck on a bus traveling with the select tournament band to Albany for the AE WBB final.
dunbar

Postby Lwyrup » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Hey Dunbar should we go to SIX Classes to solve your problem?
Lwyrup

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur