Class A: State Tourney Thread

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Class A: State Tourney Thread

Postby hoopsisme » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks wings. So the Brunswick game was where the call occurred?
hoopsisme

Postby wings » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:52 pm

hoopsisme wrote:Thanks wings. So the Brunswick game was where the call occurred?
Yes, Brunswick-Cape...The story here, though, is the return of Cape's Finn Bowe.
wings

Postby kvachoopsfan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Class A Boys Tournament Highlights
http://www.wmtw.com/article/class-a-boy ... ts/8953082[/quote]

Highlights on ch 8
Cape win is legit Foul appears to happen before the buzzer. Refs got this one right.
kvachoopsfan

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:35 am

Falmouth gets defensive, beats Biddeford in step one of title defense

PORTLAND—Falmouth wasn’t its usual prolific scoring self Saturday evening, but fortunately for the Yachtsmen, their defense is still championship-caliber.

Falmouth, the defending Class A state champion, met Biddeford in a boys’ Class A South quarterfinal round contest at the Portland Exposition Building and for three quarters, the Yachtsmen absolutely smothered the Tigers’ attack.

Falmouth, the No. 2 seed, never trailed, and thanks to four points from junior Jack Bryant, held an 11-5 lead after one quarter.

http://www.theforecaster.net/falmouth-g ... e-defense/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:00 am

A NORTH: For Indians, upset was a matter of trust
Unshakable confidence spearheaded Skowhegan's toppling of undefeated Medomak Valley

... But stunned? Shocked? Surprised? Not quite. Long before they jolted the Maine basketball scene with the upset of the tournament, the Indians were convinced they could do it.

“Coming into the game, I had the mentality that we were going to win this game,” senior forward Garrett McSweeney said. “If I had the mentality that we weren’t going to win, then I really shouldn’t be here playing these guys right now.”

The boys and girls tournaments are still in their first days, but it’s difficult to imagine either having a more astonishing development than the one that transpired late into Saturday night. This was a Medomak Valley team that, at 18-0, deserved consideration for the distinction of being the best team in the state. This was a Skowhegan team that, at 10-9, had to survive two overtimes in a preliminary victory over Brewer just to make it to the Civic Center.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/02/19/ ... -of-trust/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:00 am

PREVIEW: Basketball fans, get ready for fun-filled Wednesday
Class A North semifinals are exactly what tournament play is all about, Bill Stewart writes.

... All four teams — No. 3 Oceanside, No. 4 Messalonskee, No. 7 Cony and No. 8 Skowhegan — have every reason to believe that … This. Could. Be. The. Year.

And why not?

With Medomak and Hampden, the top two seeds entering postseason play, now spectators — their championship aspirations eradicated with upset defeats in the quarterfinals — it truly is a wide open tournament now.

“Why not us?” asked Messalonskee coach Pete McLaughlin as he headed home from practice Monday. “I think that’s it. The parity in this league has been insane. It’s been out of control. This is my seventh year, and in the last six there has always been a heavy favorite that you knew just wasn’t going to lose. But not this year.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/02/20/ ... wednesday/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:26 am

Nothing small about McCormick’s impact on Cony boys basketball team
At just over five feet tall, freshman an up-and-comer with semifinal-bound Rams

... Still, he has found ways when he can to make stature not matter. He’s become dangerous when left open for a shot, and he’s developed a penchant for emerging from the thicket of taller bodies, poking his hand in front of a pass and taking it down the court for an uncontested layup.

“I don’t think he cares,” Maines said about the nightly height disparity. “Simon’s just like ‘Let’s go.’ He’s just ready to compete.”

While he waits for the growth spurt to kick in, McCormick knows he has an identity blooming.

“I’m the smallest guy on the court, and people remember me,” he said. “They see me on the streets and they ask me if I’m that small kid on Cony.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/02/21/ ... ball-team/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:41 am

Legend of Messalonskee’s James Kouletsis continues to grow
Senior forward brings grit, heady play to team bound for Class A North semifinals.

... “Again, that’s him. Heady player, with reckless abandon with his body. Most high school players wouldn’t have that mindset, to understand there was a Gardiner player behind him, to understand he has the ability to make that play,” McLaughlin said. “That’s what we love about him. That was a big play, because it gave us the energy to fuel that comeback.”

Kouletsis averages just under 12 points per game, with 4.5 assists and four steals per game. The eye-popping stat, however, is his rebounds. At just 5-foot-11 and 145-pounds after a big meal, Kouletsis averages just over nine rebounds per game, putting him among the Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference’s top big men and rebounding leaders.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/02/21/ ... -of-shrew/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:01 am

Wednesday, February 22

Video broadcast of semi-final and regional finals are free from to watch at

Portland
6:00pm A Boys #3-Cape Elizabeth 38 vs. #2-Falmouth 43
7:30pm A Boys #4-York 54 vs. #1-Greely 59

Augusta
7:00pm A Boys #7-Cony 61 vs. #3-Oceanside 67
8:30pm A Boys #8-Skowhegan 55 vs. #5-Messalonskee 64

Video:
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 am

GOOD EATS in Portland & now Falmouth owned by former Waterville and UMF basketball star Lance Meader. in Portland just behind the arena or on rte 1 in Falmouth...
See you there before, between or after games !
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur