HS Shot Clock - is it needed?

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: HS Shot Clock - is it needed?

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:06 pm

Red Green wrote:Want a Maine HS shot clock $1000.00 - $2000.00 . You get what the boosters can afford , not what the Celtics can afford!

RG: Put the shot clocks on top of the backboards and get volunteers to run the clock for Frosh, JV, Varsity and middle school games. Only cost the clock themselves and installation.

As you said boosters would probably pay for the costs and get volunteers to run the clock.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:52 pm

bainsey wrote:
Archer Bunker wrote:We've been talking about this for over 10 years now........Maine is always way behind the times. Maybe someday we will catch up with the rest of the country...But i wouldn't count on it.

This is a fallacy. As of now, 42 states DO NOT have a shot clock, and two have it for girls only.

Costs are not the only factor. The reality is, the NFHS doesn't allow states to use a shot clock. If they do (as Massachuetts, Rhode Island, and New York do), the state commission loses their vote at NFHS basketball rules meetings. Most states, including Maine, don't want to lose that vote.

If you want Maine to get a shot clock, two things have to happen:
*The NFHS would have to approve it, and
*The state commission would have to approve it.

The NFHS has discussed it before, but reject it every time. I'm certain costs play a role in this position, but it doesn't matter. Until the NFHS says yea, there will be no shot clock in Maine high school basketball.

Bainsey: Did you know that all High School Coaches that states are members of the NFHS get to vote on any suggested rule change suggestions and to make recommendationsfor changes or new rules?
bcbc55

Postby RE24Drive » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:26 pm

1000-2000 for a shot clock? Just talked to a highschool who has the interface to handle it and they said 40k. There's a difference between having something that's thrown together and being legit. And no that's not even close to a Celtics style board.
RE24Drive

Postby mespectator » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:01 am

Jay&SilentBob wrote: A shot clock forces teams to continue to execute towards the end of the game.

So spreading the floor (a nice spacious floor during tourney time), moving the ball without turning it over, drawing a foul or making a layup off a back door cut - isn't execution?

If you want the ball, force a turn over.
mespectator

Postby mespectator » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:08 am

pryor15 wrote:Shot Clock = More Possessions = More Basketball

I always vote for more basketball.

Change the game to "first team to 100 wins" if you want more basketball.
mespectator

Postby Sean Stackhouse » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:18 am

Am I the only one who actually watched the tourney games? Or the regular season? Did I miss something? I didn't see many teams that could handle a 40-second possession against pressure defense. You guys are seriously overestimating how difficult it is to force a turnover or bad shot within 30 seconds just by playing man-to-man with just a little pressure.

Hell I even saw a team turn the ball over while the other team wasn't even playing defense. They sat in a zone and decided to let the other team hold the ball. And the turned it over.

I wouldn't mind seeing a shot clock, obviously. I do think it just makes the game better and guarantees you don't have a boring stretch of over a minute like you occasionally do 2 or 3 times during the entire tournament. But I also don't think it's a necessity and I don't think the isolated incidents of stallball are hurting attendance.
Sean Stackhouse

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:32 am

mespectator wrote:
pryor15 wrote:Shot Clock = More Possessions = More Basketball

I always vote for more basketball.

Change the game to "first team to 100 wins" if you want more basketball.

Mespectator. The way the game is played today at the high school level in most games it would take at least 2 plus regular timed 32 minute games to get to a 100. It would be a 4 plus hour game. But that's OK more players would get a chance to play.
bcbc55

Postby Jay&SilentBob » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:41 am

I just think that stalling without trying to score should not be considered a valid strategy. As someone who has played both in high school and college, my experience is that the shot clock makes for better basketball. I will say that I don't expect to see them implemented in Maine in the foreseeable future because of the cost.
Jay&SilentBob

Postby Miren » Wed May 10, 2017 7:12 am

Maryland Public School Athletics to implement 35-second shot clock for boys basketball. :)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high ... story.html
Miren

Postby LennyH » Wed May 10, 2017 8:33 am

Just a quick comment on the "average time of possession" as we all know the numbers sometimes don't tell the whole story. If you are simply taking the number of FG Attempts and dividing it by the game length that is not the reality of a game. First you have to take into account offensive rebounds that are turned into FG Attempts. One offensive possession of 30 seconds becomes 15 seconds per shot with just one offensive rebound, let alone if there were two in the possession. Next take away a turnover that leads to a fast break attempt, as those don't really measure "true possession" time and will lead to lower averages.

This really comes down to how long are teams taking when their have a true possessions (missed shot or scored FG) - this is when a "purposed" shot clock would come into play. I am supporter as I believe it would lead to better basketball, as players would be less apprehensive knowing if a good shot is there, they need to "take the shot." Having done color on about 20 tournament games this year, I can tell you I saw a ton of scared coaches and players in tight situations. I just believe a shot clock would make for a better game. (I also agree, I didn't see many teams capable of holding the ball more then 30-40 seconds without turning it over)
LennyH

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur