HS Shot Clock - is it needed?

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: HS Shot Clock - is it needed?

Postby Miren » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:49 am

Same talk regarding the 3point line back in the 80's on how it will never be used in High School. A shot clock is part of today's basketball for many reasons same as the 3 point line. In my eyes it only makes the most exciting game on earth even more exciting, more fun for players, fans and coach's.
Miren

Postby Archer Bunker » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:32 am

We've been talking about this for over 10 years now........Maine is always way behind the times. Maybe someday we will catch up with the rest of the country...But i wouldn't count on it.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby pryor15 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:35 am

Shot Clock = More Possessions = More Basketball

I always vote for more basketball.
pryor15

Postby Sean Stackhouse » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:38 am

The three point line is not a valid comparison at all. It costs almost nothing to, one time, put down another line on the court. You'll sooner see a four-point line added than a shot clock in Maine just due to the costs involved alone.

You don't need to have a new system installed in a time where school budgets are tight as it is (...maybe try paying fewer administrators by consolidating. Shocking concept), and you don't need to pay another person per game to operate anything.

I absolutely believe you'll eventually see it used at tourney sites, as Bangor is already equipped for it. I assume Portland is, and Augusta... Probably can be. But that's a long, long, long, long, long way off.

And I really don't have a preference either way. There are plenty of college teams in the area and, as I've said numerous times, as bad as the NCAA is about governing things off the playing surfaces, the NCAA governs the games themselves far better than the NFHS could ever hope to. For one, following NCAA rules is a requirement. The NFHS allows rogue administrators to just make things up as they go, even if they blatantly contradict what the national office says. NF can say something like "players may not wear goggles" and Wisconsin can be like "Yeah stuff you, we're going to allow them to wear whatever they want see you next year at the meeting losers neener neener neener" and nothing happens.

...Anyways. Some day you'll see it at the tourney. Maybe not in all classes. Maybe just AA and/or A. But whatever. Progress is progress. We'll get there eventually.
Sean Stackhouse

Postby STATCREW » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:57 am

pryor15 wrote:Shot Clock = More Possessions = More Basketball

I always vote for more basketball.

Well SAID!!!!!
STATCREW

Postby Steaglesfan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Your logic doesn't work. If the average boys time of possession was just more than 15 seconds, than how would a shot clock increase that. Does the presence of a shot clock at 30 or 35 seconds make teams shoot at 12?

It certainly would increase possible possessions by each team in closer games mid to late 4th quarter. However, I believe coaches would coach more to the shot clock if it existed, thus having lengthier possessions on average. Many would use it as a time and score situation or ways to teach offensive execution.

NCAA basketball has a shot clock and the biggest complaint the last few years has been the low scores. I am not suggesting that is solely because of the clock, but adding one to high school will not result, IMO, to higher scores or necessarily better basketball. I would be in favor of adding one because most states now do and thus Maine should follow suit. Plus, I do like it in the 4th quarter so you wouldn't necessarily have to start fouling if a team is beginning to hold the ball. Especially because, in Maine, the likelihood of an intentional foul being called is much greater than anywhere else.
Steaglesfan

Postby RE24Drive » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:28 pm

Want a shot clock....?

Need actual display clock on each rim.

Need a new Daktronics (5000) sport controller.

Need scoreboard to actually interface with new controller.

We are talking possibly on the cheap and I really mean cheap, 20k..? Upwards to 50 is more likely.

That right there tells me the shot clock will not becoming to Maine anytime soon.
RE24Drive

Postby bainsey » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Archer Bunker wrote:We've been talking about this for over 10 years now........Maine is always way behind the times. Maybe someday we will catch up with the rest of the country...But i wouldn't count on it.

This is a fallacy. As of now, 42 states DO NOT have a shot clock, and two have it for girls only.

Costs are not the only factor. The reality is, the NFHS doesn't allow states to use a shot clock. If they do (as Massachuetts, Rhode Island, and New York do), the state commission loses their vote at NFHS basketball rules meetings. Most states, including Maine, don't want to lose that vote.

If you want Maine to get a shot clock, two things have to happen:
*The NFHS would have to approve it, and
*The state commission would have to approve it.

The NFHS has discussed it before, but reject it every time. I'm certain costs play a role in this position, but it doesn't matter. Until the NFHS says yea, there will be no shot clock in Maine high school basketball.
bainsey

Postby Red Green » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:56 pm

Want a Maine HS shot clock $1000.00 - $2000.00 . You get what the boosters can afford , not what the Celtics can afford!
Red Green

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:06 pm

Red Green wrote:Want a Maine HS shot clock $1000.00 - $2000.00 . You get what the boosters can afford , not what the Celtics can afford!

RG: Put the shot clocks on top of the backboards and get volunteers to run the clock for Frosh, JV, Varsity and middle school games. Only cost the clock themselves and installation.

As you said boosters would probably pay for the costs and get volunteers to run the clock.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur