HS Shot Clock - is it needed?

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: HS Shot Clock - is it needed?

Postby hibbert » Wed May 10, 2017 9:15 am

Why do you guys all want to see more bad shots? I'd rather see fewer good shots.
hibbert

Postby geezil » Wed May 10, 2017 10:09 am

.............The horn should sound after 20 sec of team control as anything longer would probably be a turnover anyway, thus we could cut down on those awful turnover stats that make us look bad. Any team that consistently gets under 10 turnovers a game should get a free shot clock from the MPA and a banner to hang in the gym that proclaims such. Teams that utilize a transition offense will not get a free shot clock.
geezil

Postby lovethegame » Wed May 10, 2017 11:25 am

People are so ridiculous with their assumptions and misguided thoughts of shot clocks. What is needed everywhere is better coaches. More knowledgeable coaches who know how to teach the game, develop players' skills and knowledge of the game, and are able to stick around longer than 1-3 years and you would see there is no need for a shot clock.

As a coach I want all of my players to be able to shoot. Not only be able to shoot but be willing to shoot. This past season I had two players that I wanted each to take several shots a game because they were good shooters and I knew if they would each put up 6-10 shots then they would both most likely score 6-8 points or more. However, they wouldn't shoot during games. Why you might ask? They were afraid to miss. They didn't want to miss and have their teammates be mad at them for taking shots and continuously missing. But here's the kicker. Their teammates WANTED them to shoot more. Sometimes they were shouting at them from the bench to shoot as they knew I was trying to get them to take more shots.

We did a lot of shooting drills in my practices. Worked on form, the right shots to take at the proper times, shots that will help you get to the foul line, good threes and bad threes to take, etc. It didn't matter what we worked on or how many times I spoke to these players, they just weren't going to shoot a lot. As a coach that has to be something you have to accept and deal with. So I found a few other players that were willing to shoot more and told them to take more shots. We also intensified our defensive pressure and scored a large chunk of our points each game from turnovers and uptempo opportunities. As far as a shot clock is concerned, we were lucky if we had the ball in our possession more than 15-20 seconds on most possessions, even when we had to slow it down.

Here's what the majority of people don't understand. Most coaches don't want to take the air out of the ball. What most coaches do want is for their team to take high percentage shots and know what those shots are. Of course they want the players who are better shooters or better scores to take the majority of the shots, but usually we'll take what we can get as long as it's not a horrible shot that the player forces up.

Here's what people should be wondering about. What are they working on in practice that causes them to play like this? Does the coach go over shot selection with their players? Do they explain that you can't be afraid to shoot and that they don't have to try to find the "perfect" shot? Some offenses work better when you slow them down and let the options work for themselves, eventually showing an available shot. Other offenses are more of a basic blueprint that says here's what we're starting out in, take what the defense gives you. But once again, not all players will shoot when open. There is a whole other mental side of the game that people don't think about, and with high school aged players those issues tend to be the root of a lot of the problems for players. So many players think that their coaches don't want them to shoot, or told them not to shoot, or only shoot when you have a wide open layup, etc. Players hear their coaches say something during a timeout or practice that pertains to a specific situation or a particular play and they'll carry that comment with them thinking that's all that they want from them, not understanding that it was just a one time thing.

There's a lot of miscommunication and misunderstanding with sports. However, if you have a good coach that knows what they're doing and is allowed to teach their players and given the proper time then usually some progress can be made. Shot clocks aren't always the answer. The only teams that will benefit from a shot clock are experienced teams with knowledgeable coaches who won't let the constant reminder of the clock bother them. And to prove my point think of all the times in all of the games you've ever watched at the high school level in Maine and think about how successful teams have been when executing a play in the last 30 seconds of a quarter and how often they got nothing out of it because no one wanted to take that last shot or they turned the ball over trying to get it to the player that the coach wants to take the right shot at the right spot. Now, think about that fiasco happening 40-60 times a game. That's what it'll be like as the less skilled teams will be such a mess since they're worried more about the shot clock than they are about just playing basketball. They don't realize that on most regular possessions they don't have the ball for more 20 seconds but since no one ever discussed that with them they don't have that knowledge. Most teams would implode and you would see even worse play than you do now. And we can all agree that the level of play in high school basketball has dropped drastically. Good, knowledgeable coaches are the answer to everyone's problems, not a shot clock. A shot clock will just make things worse.
lovethegame

Postby phoenix » Fri May 12, 2017 8:18 am

No longer having a dog in the MPA fight -- (It's been a while, but I used to be a semi-regular here!) -- I have no vested interest in this discussion. But given that my favorite team has moved from the MPA to the NEPSAC prep league where there is indeed a 30-second shot clock, I've seen a lot of both ways of doing it. From a fan's perspective, I'll take the shot clock any day. As far as the players and coaches are concerned, I would wager that there isn't a single one who would want to go back to a game with no clock.
phoenix

Postby Archer Bunker » Fri May 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Miss your postings phoenix and definitely miss seeing your teams in the tournament.
Any coach that really knows the game knows we need a shot clock. It would force players to become better players. The game is not meant to be played in slow motion. If any high school team or high school player can't get a decent shot off in 30 seconds then they shouldn't be playing at the varsity level. That's also why many 1st year college players from Maine struggle their first year at the college level because they are not use to a shot clock.

AB
Archer Bunker

Previous

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur