HS Shot Clock - is it needed?

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

HS Shot Clock - is it needed?

Postby STATCREW » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:50 pm

After doing some serious research, I have some interesting statistics that was only taken place during the tournament. Now, these only come from Portland sites, 2 Bangor State games, and 4 Portland State Games. This was all done with the software that I use.

Average time of Possession

Boys: 15.5 Seconds
Girls: 19.3 Seconds

Now I know for a lot of people, this is not what you wanted to see. In order to get a shot clock you would want to see those numbers a lot closer to 30. Only in some games this year would I of wanted a shot clock in place. Greely Marshwood Girls for instance was the longest amount of time between possessions (25 seconds).

The numbers say that we don't need a shot clock. I think we really do so we don't get into situations like the Greely Marshwood girls stuff. Or holding the ball at the end of the game.
STATCREW

Re: HS Shot Clock - is it needed?

Postby Jay&SilentBob » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:16 pm

I would like to see a shot clock so teams can't run away and hide when they take a 10 point lead into the 4th quarter. I remember how frustrating it was as a player for teams to start playing stall ball with 5 minutes left. A shot clock forces teams to continue to execute towards the end of the game. I think a 30 or 35 second shot clock just makes for better basketball.
Jay&SilentBob

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Excellent research STATECREW. Even though most of the years I coached we were a slow tempo controlled team we still usually got the shots we wanted (high percentage shots) in 20 seconds against man to man defenses.

We still averaged 50 plus points a game and we wanted the ball 65% of the game.

I would favor a 35 second shot clock because that would encourage better man to man defense. But if a shot clock, outlaw all half zone defenses.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby up river » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Would love to see it. Canada ( or at least New Brunswick) has a shot clock. Believe its 30 seconds. The game flows better and prevents a team up by 10 or so settle into a zone, then run 1 minute or so off the clock to a presumably better team. From what ive witnessed its a more physical game as well with the constant man to man defense. Resembles a pre college environment i guess is the best way to describe it.
up river

Postby TheMike » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:13 am

Why are some people so willing to take away a portion of a team's strategy? If a team is ten points behind going into the 4th quarter they deserve to be in that position. Why should the team that's leading be required to do something that would hamper their chances of winning?

If a football team is leading by two TD's going into the 4th quarter should they be limited as to how many running plays they can use in an effort to run out the clock?

If a baseball team is leading by five runs after five innings should they not be allowed to hit any more home runs or steal any bases?

One of the objects of the game is to win, not to allow the other team back into the game to make it more exciting for the fans.

Sheesh.
TheMike

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:45 am

TheMike wrote:Why are some people so willing to take away a portion of a team's strategy? If a team is ten points behind going into the 4th quarter they deserve to be in that position. Why should the team that's leading be required to do something that would hamper their chances of winning?

If a football team is leading by two TD's going into the 4th quarter should they be limited as to how many running plays they can use in an effort to run out the clock?

If a baseball team is leading by five runs after five innings should they not be allowed to hit any more home runs or steal any bases?

One of the objects of the game is to win, not to allow the other team back into the game to make it more exciting for the fans.

Sheesh.

Mike: Although I could accept a 35 second shot clock if they outlawed the zone defenses, I have always felt that it "Takes to Tango". If one team does not want it to be a very low scoring game all they have to do is press and the game will be in the 30's.

The onis is always on the defense in ball holding situations. My rule always was when we were facing any type of zone and we got up 8 and with the ball anytime in the game we were going to hold the ball until that team comes man. We were not going to shoot them back into the game.

Also, sometimes if we got down 10 or 15 during the 3rd quarter we would go zone and see if the opponents would shoot us back into the game, this worked a lot of times to get us back into games.

When I had the more talented team and the other team tried to hold the ball on us, we immediately went after them with man to man full court pressure or run and jump to zone pressure at different spots on the court.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:46 am

TheMike wrote:Why are some people so willing to take away a portion of a team's strategy? If a team is ten points behind going into the 4th quarter they deserve to be in that position. Why should the team that's leading be required to do something that would hamper their chances of winning?

Sheesh.
bcbc55

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:14 am

This comes up from time to time....i guess biggest question is why?? Do the players or coaches want it....if they do i have never heard many be vocal about....Do certain groups of fans want it? Yes....why? So the game can be easier to watch in their eyes?? I think we all have to step back from time to time and realize it the game is not made for the fans.....its to give high school athletes a chance to compete....

Now some may argue that if there was a shot clock it would help players from Maine move on to the next level....I just dont think that is true...any player that can go compete in college....doesnt need a shot clock in high school to get ready for it...It just another thing they have to adapt to...like reffing not being so strict.....the 3 point line being further back....the halfs or quarters being longer....

Now listen is it sometimes tough to watch a team up 8 with 4 minutes left and they try to take the air out of the ball...sure...but its also just as frustrating if not more so to see the team on defense not go and pressure the ball and try to set up a trap or press....
wmtwsportsprod

Postby thebam » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:40 am

The football analogy is worthless. Football has a play clock (well kept secretly by the ref)..
what is the overall purpose of HS Basketball? Is it for fun? or is it to prepare kids to play at the next level? If the latter, then having a shot clock better prepares them for type of atmosphere.
thebam

Postby Sean Stackhouse » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:45 am

*shrug* for me the excitement of high school basketball is with the crowds and the tourney atmosphere. We'll never get shot clocks installed at all of the schools in Maine, so you'll just have to play pressure defense and count on a kid dribbling off his or her knee or traveling. Or, a bad shot or a foul. It usually only takes about 40 seconds anyways for one of these to happen so I'm sure we'll all be fine without the shot clock.
Sean Stackhouse

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur