Mayo

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Mayo

Postby Narrfan19 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:27 am

mario_spaghettio wrote:Mayo would be a huge fish in a small pond if he chose to transfer to Maine.

Yeah that's what I would do. NOT LOL.
Narrfan19

Postby wings » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:28 pm

Narrfan19 wrote:
mario_spaghettio wrote:Mayo would be a huge fish in a small pond if he chose to transfer to Maine.

Yeah that's what I would do. NOT LOL.

Like most of us, I'd guess he likes his music too much...On a brighter note, Quite a Matinee today at the Augusta Civic Center for his former school...Messalonskee boys and girls vying for the A North regional crown.

Go Messo!
wings

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:51 am

EKUHoops‏@EKUHoops
Congrats @1nmay0 on becoming the 35th Colonel to join the 1,000-point club!

He is the first EKU player EVER to reach 1,000 as a sophomore.

PIC: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5iJj7oXMAA3ae-.jpg
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby hoops88 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:29 pm

I'm late to this thread with this, but what a way to finish the season:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mayo-score ... ncaab.html

EKU seems to have the ability to score. It would be great to see them in the tournament to see Mayo get a chance to play on that stage. How do they get there?
hoops88

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:04 am

Nick Mayo finishes up another successful year for Eastern Kentucky
Former Messalonskee star reach 1,000 career points as a sophomore this season.

...For the second season in a row, Mayo, a Messalonskee High School graduate, started every game for the Colonels. Mayo averaged 18.5 points and 6.5 rebounds per game, and was selected to the all-Ohio Valley Conference first team for the second consecutive season. The individual accolades are piling up for Mayo, who was the OVC Newcomer of the Year after a strong freshman season. While appreciative of the honors that come his way, Mayo is eager for the team achievments to start rolling in.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/03/10/ ... -kentucky/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:30 pm

hoops88 wrote:I'm late to this thread with this, but what a way to finish the season:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mayo-score ... ncaab.html

EKU seems to have the ability to score. It would be great to see them in the tournament to see Mayo get a chance to play on that stage. How do they get there?

hoops88: Eastern Kentucky is in the Eastern Division of the Ohio Valley Conference. The Ohio Valley Conference is divided into 2 - 6 team divisions. EK has to finish in the top 4 of their teams conference 6 teams Eastern Division.. Top 4 teams make Ohio Valley Conference Tournament in each of the 2 - 6 team Eastern and Western divisions.

Conference tournament has 8 teams in their single elimination tournament for the right to go to the "Big Dance".

5th and 6th place teams in each division do not make conference tournament. Then each division has 1st round in each division 3 vs. 4 then 2nd place team plays winner of 3-4, then 1 seed plays winner of that game. Then the winners from each division meet for the tourney championship and winner goes to the "Big Dance".

EK finished 6th at 5-11 in conference play in the tougher of the two 6 team divisions. They finished 10-19 over all and was 5-8 in non-conference play.

Mayo would have a better chance of making the "Big Dance" being at Maine because all of the 8 teams each year and 9 teams next year (when UMass-Lowell becomes eligible for post season play) automatically make the post season conference tournament.

Actually America East Conference is ranked 21st in the realtimerpi.com's RPI ranking for D-1 conferences to Ohio Valley's 25th out of the 32 D-1 conferences.

Eastern Kentucky was 248 ranked in the official NCAA.com RPI rankings, Maine was 323.

Hope this helps you out.
bcbc55

Postby TAallday » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:13 am

Actually, EKU has made the tournament recently and Maine has not. Mayo is way better off down South, getting exposure, and playing in a great conference. Maine has NOTHING to offer him.
TAallday

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:40 pm

TAallday wrote:Actually, EKU has made the tournament recently and Maine has not. Mayo is way better off down South, getting exposure, and playing in a great conference. Maine has NOTHING to offer him.

TAaliday:

Has EK been to the "Big Dance" the two years Mayo has been there?

The Ohio Valley Conference is in the south and Mayo maybe getting more exposure (to the sun?).

BUT, the Ohio Valley Conference is not a great conference when it is ranked 25th and UMaine in the America East Conference which is ranked 21st in the realtimerpi.com RPI conference rankings of the 32 D-1 conferences.

I do agree that UMaine has nothing to offer Mayo, but he sure has plenty to offer them.
bcbc55

Postby driveandive » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Not a lot of defense being played in the OVC compared to AE. Also a lot less double teaming it seems. There are some talented scorers though. There's a kid on EKU playing a lot of minutes that transferred from Louisville or Kentucky (can't remember) that can't play a stitch of defense. Not his fault though, he must weigh about 140 soaking wet.
driveandive

Postby TAallday » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:24 am

Well, all I have to say is that I think Mayo is getting more exposure. I heard his name mentioned twice on ESPN live shows this year and I never heard anyone from Maine mentioned. This kid is playing at a high level in a quality program who has been to the big dance more recently than UMO.

UMO's program is bad, like really bad, and they cannot seem to retain good players. Maybe he would change that if he chose Maine, but I doubt it.
TAallday

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur