Mayo

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Mayo

Postby hoops88 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:36 am

I missed this story when it came out, but it seems like he developed nicely just going straight to a smaller D1 school:

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/11/09/ ... next-step/

Increasing his vertical 4 inches? At 6'9", that makes him a Dennis Rodman with a shooting touch.

Still 3rd youngest kid on the team, and captain. Not bad.

They play Louisville on the 17th.
hoops88

Postby Miren » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:57 am

Ohio Valley Conference isn't that much higher in the rankings then America East Conferene and Vermont, Albany and UNH are all ranked higher then EK....REALLY?
American East NBA...http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/confe ... ba-players
OVC NBA.....http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/confe ... ba-players

OVC is a much more competitive league.
Miren

Postby Miren » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:46 am

Increasing his vertical 4 inches? At 6'9", that makes him a Dennis Rodman with a shooting touch...mentioning him as Rodman with a shooting touch is way over the top, Rodman was a freak...Mayo more like the Hick from French Lick with ups and less court vision to me...
Miren

Postby fromthebench » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:50 am

The NBA is looking for players with NBA size and athletic ability (which he has) upside (he's young, plenty of that) and the ability to stuff the stat sheet (which he is doing) If he had gone the prep route he'd be platooning at Big U somewhere, scoring 6-8 points a game as a role player. Instead, he's developing an offensive arsenal of shots that will translate to the pro game somewhere. If you want to play pro ball you need to be at a school where you get lots of playing time and get to take plenty of shots to develop pro offensive skills.

John Wassenburgh St. Joe's Maine 10 year pro
Derek Vogel Westbrook College Maine 10 year pro
Keegan Hyland D2 Bentley current pro

None of them went prep, they all played at a school where they got tons of playing time and plenty of shots to develop their offensive skills and that is how it is done. Go Nick!

Shall we contrast that with the pro careers of those who went to Big U?
Caouette, Mims, Knight, Bedard (BC first, a mistake in my opinion)
fromthebench

Postby hoops88 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:26 am

I always refer to the example of Taylor Coppenrath. I followed his story when he was at UVM. This guy was a scoring machine. I was really sure he would find a place in the NBA. I was surprised when he didn't. He still had a great basketball career in Europe, but the NBA must be looking for specific types of players with specific set of skills to fill their rosters.

Even if Mayo ends up in Europe, I would consider it a successful outcome as the product over there is really very good.
hoops88

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:11 pm

Miren wrote:Prep school for Mayo? LOL ...He is playing and doing quite well with out prep school..Mayo will be leaving for the NBA early if he keeps on getting better...Mayo has limitless potential...Mayo is performing well at D1 Basketball, in freaking KENTUCKY!

Mayo is playing well in college...but thoughts of him leaving to go play in the NBA?? lets calm down a little bit

bcbc55 wrote:
wmtwsportsprod wrote:coach...any kid that gets offered a free education...needs to take it when he gets it...Somebody (actually more then one) wanted to give Mayo a chance to go to college on a scholarship....what is playing an extra year in prep school have to offer.....if he is good enough to continue to play as a career, and i am not saying he is...prep school isnt going to matter.

All i know is he had a very good freshman season, and still is very good this year, and few Mainers get to do that on a national stage

Wt: If a player cannot get a prep school scholarship then they are not D-1 material.

Prep school tells you exactly what level of D-1 you belong by the level of colleges that recruits a player has the most teams recruiting them. Major top 100 teams, mid major 101-200 or low major 201-351.

Another year to mature physically, mentally and emotionally and to get used to all the travel, longer and tougher practices, being away from home, it just prepares a Mainer, especially the level of competition in practice and in games.

I stand by what i say...you get a scholarship you take it....get your education and get out in the workforce...why waste another year....if you are good enough to play pro which will most likely be overseas....the extra year "to get ready" will not and doesnt matter...
wmtwsportsprod

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Responders to my post(s).

"Different strokes for different folks",or "What floats your boat doesn't necessarily float my boat".

Opinions are like noses, everyone has one!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion(s), it is great to agree to disagree so long as it is done graciously and does not get personal.

Everyone has been gracious and did not get personal on their responses to my post(s).

Must not be any politicians in this group of responders.

Thanks for that. Very professional and interesting responses.
bcbc55

Postby fromthebench » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:23 pm

A good lively topic and we all wish Nick the best!
fromthebench

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:24 pm

fromthebench wrote:A good lively topic and we all wish Nick the best!

FTB: Absolutely, agree with you 110%. Good luck all the way to the Big Dance!
bcbc55

Postby Archer Bunker » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:31 pm

And if he had just transferred to an SMAA school for his senior year he would be that much better prepared for D1 hoops and he probably would of caught the eye of Coach K.

AB
Archer Bunker

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur