Skowhegan A.D. Don Finley passing; Gym dedicated ...

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Skowhegan A.D. Don Finley passing; Gym dedicated ...

Postby 14espninsider » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:49 pm

It has come to my attention that early this morning Skowhegan A.D. Don Finley has passed away in the unfortunate result of cancer. I don't what to say about this man. He was an incredible person and great A.D. My condolences go out to the Skowhegan Community as well as the Finley family. It was pleasure to know him and he will be surely missed by many. RIP Mr. Don Finley.
14espninsider

Re: Skowhegan A.D. Don Finley passing

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:18 am

Sorry to hear about this. Condolences to Don's Family , friends and to the community of Skowhegan..

I met Don a few years back as we rolled in to do a football broadcast and later during basketball season .. He and the what they do at Skowhegan HS shined through from the minute we stepped onto the field .. Quality, competitive, caring , engaging .. !!
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:18 am

Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby MattyB » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:01 am

I remember that game. First game behind the mic covering Oxford Hills...and without a needed cable to get the game on. Don: "There's a Radio Shack right down the road". Sure enough game gets on.

Basketball season same year, there was a lack of cell signal except for the back corner of the gym. Don: "Let me get you a table". Sure enough, the game gets on with no blips.

Guy was fantastic and always helpful. Big loss not only for Skowhegan, but Maine high school sports as a whole.
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Skowhegan dedicates gymnasium to longtime teacher, coach

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:24 am

Skowhegan dedicates gymnasium to longtime teacher, coach

...Skowhegan Area High School dedicated its refurbished gymnasium to one of its most popular teacher-coaches during ceremonies between the Indians’ boys and girls home varsity basketball games against Lawrence of Fairfield last Friday evening.

A plaque to be mounted above the doors entering the gymnasium honors the late Donald D. “Fin” Finley, who served his alma mater from 1981 to 2015 as a teacher, coach and athletic administrator.

The plaque was a gift of the school’s Class of 2017, which was instrumental in the dedication effort, according to current SAHS athletic administrator Jon Christopher.

http://fastbreaks.bangordailynews.com/2 ... her-coach/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Skowhegan A.D. Don Finley passing; Gym dedicated ...

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:48 am

Skowhegan honors Don Finley
Indians dedicate school gym to former teacher.

For decades, Don Finley was an important person in and around Skowhegan Area High School. Now, visitors to the school’s refurbished gymnasium will see how much Finley meant to the Skowhegan community.

In between games of last Friday’s boys and girls basketball doubleheader against Lawrence, Skowhegan dedicated the gym in Finley’s memory. Finley worked at Skowhegan from 1981 until his death from cancer in 2015 as a teacher, coach and athletic director.

The Class of 2017 donated a plaque recognizing Finley and his contributions to the school, which will be placed at the gym entrance.

“Fin was important to so many people,” said Sam Boivin, President of Skowhegan’s Class of 2017.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2018/01/04/ ... on-finley/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur