Native American mascots

Talk about your team and players..No bashing or general negativity will be allowed.

Re: Native American mascots

Postby Claude » Fri May 10, 2013 6:43 am

If Ed Rice gets these all changed, who does he target next?

The Witches?

The Vikings?

The Trojans and Minutemen? err, we won't go there...

:roll:
Claude

Postby Claude » Fri May 10, 2013 6:57 am

..and now Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2013-14 Skowhegan Neat Guys !!

Claude

Postby LI Vikings » Fri May 10, 2013 9:36 am

Claude wrote:..and now Ladies and Gentlemen, your 2013-14 Skowhegan Neat Guys !!

Sorry Claude but in this case the adjective "Neat" simply has to many conotations that could possibly offend oh and "Guys" believe it or not in this generation may be cause for some form of upheaval. Introducing your team from "Skowhegan" may be where we are going unless it's some object....Skowhegan Lakers, Harvesters, Boaters, Tractors, cars, vans trucks; can't use animal names as some protester will say that we are targeting a species that is extinct or targeting it for extinction, LOL.
LI Vikings

Postby LesMillsRockstar » Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 am

Claude wrote:If Ed Rice gets these all changed, who does he target next?

The Witches?

The Vikings?

The Trojans and Minutemen? err, we won't go there...

:roll:

He ought to leave the Witches out of this ;)
LesMillsRockstar

Postby Rob Kennedy » Fri May 10, 2013 1:42 pm

I'm not surprised someone is targeting Warriors for extinction. A school I used to teach at in Vermont (Champlain Valley Union, a few miles south of Burlington) ditched their similar name "Crusaders". Apparently, the nickname conjured images of Papal armies marauding across Asia Minor, a natural thought pattern given the large population of people from Byzantian descent living in Chittenden County (sarcasm). In the minds of the politically correct, CVU wasn't on a generic crusade at all--but a HOLY CRUSADE!! That just wouldn't do, so away it went.

Things have gone too far. I don't believe that all school names were/are OK (example: Pekin Illinois HS had the "Chinks" as their mascot until 1980; a school in Dallas went by the "Fightin' Coons" until a few years ago--they added R-A-C to the front of their mascot). But looking at words with a broad definition like Warriors and Crusaders to me go way past what's needed. Here in Maine, I'm wondering how long it'll be before someone takes aim at Bonny Eagle. In other states nicknames like the Celtics are gonna get the old heave-ho, too. Sad.
Rob Kennedy

Postby radar488 » Fri May 10, 2013 1:54 pm

Can't use Skowhegan either.
radar488

Postby Rob Kennedy » Fri May 10, 2013 2:06 pm

Some Names and Mascots that need to go (Augusta and South edition):

1) SP Red Riots: riots are dangerous and often deadly. Certainly not the image we want to conjure up for our impressionable youth. (Substitute: The SoPo Sit-In, which brings back the peaceful protesting of MLK. And as Stanford University first showed us, a plural nickname is not a requirement anymore.)

2) Winthrop Ramblers: Nothing wrong with the name, but their mascot is an old bus, which surely emits noxious fumes and contributes to Global Warming / Climate Change. (Substitute: Winthrop Priuses)

3) G-NG Patriots: Guys like Sam Adams used to tar and feather their opponents. Very violent imagery. (Substitute: The GNG Statesmen.)

4) Oxford Hills Vikings: The two words commonly associated with those terrible Vikings are "rape" and "pillage". Substitute: go with "Spammers" instead, and conjure up images of those baked-bean-eating Vikings in Monty Python.

5a) Lewiston Blue Devils: The Devil? A symbol of pure evil as a mascot for a high school? No way! Do a 180, Lewiston: become the Cherubs instead.

5b) Westbrook Blue Blazes will also have to get rid of their nickname, as "Blue Blazes" is a
synonym for "hell", as in "What in the blue blazes is that?" Maybe "Pearly Gatesmen" would be better--for the boys teams anyways--heaven is so much more pleasant than hell. And there's always Blue Halos if we need a unisex mascot.

6) Leavitt Hornets: Many people are allergic to hornets (not to mention yellowjackets, bees, and wasps) and everyone knows someone who would go into anaphylactic shock if they came into contact with a Hornet. Perhaps an insect that isn't potentially lethal (centipede? carpenter ant?) could be used.

I'm sure there are plenty more (like Winslow Black Raiders: I mean really, in 2013? Raiders are almost as bad as Vikings, and we're going to racially label them?) But those are all the ones I have time for now..... ;)
Rob Kennedy

Postby lovethegame » Fri May 10, 2013 2:11 pm

"That's funny right there! I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!"
lovethegame

Postby Peacone36 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Coons...........really? REALLY. :?

Im offended by people who are so easily offended.
Peacone36

Postby lovethegame » Fri May 10, 2013 3:15 pm

People are stupid!
lovethegame

PreviousNext

Return to Maine HS and Amateur Basketball (BOYS)