Some Names and Mascots that need to go (Augusta and South edition):
1) SP Red Riots: riots are dangerous and often deadly. Certainly not the image we want to conjure up for our impressionable youth. (Substitute: The SoPo Sit-In, which brings back the peaceful protesting of MLK. And as Stanford University first showed us, a plural nickname is not a requirement anymore.)
2) Winthrop Ramblers: Nothing wrong with the name, but their mascot is an old bus, which surely emits noxious fumes and contributes to Global Warming / Climate Change. (Substitute: Winthrop Priuses)
3) G-NG Patriots: Guys like Sam Adams used to tar and feather their opponents. Very violent imagery. (Substitute: The GNG Statesmen.)
4) Oxford Hills Vikings: The two words commonly associated with those terrible Vikings are "rape" and "pillage". Substitute: go with "Spammers" instead, and conjure up images of those baked-bean-eating Vikings in Monty Python.
5a) Lewiston Blue Devils: The Devil? A symbol of pure evil as a mascot for a high school? No way! Do a 180, Lewiston: become the Cherubs instead.
5b) Westbrook Blue Blazes will also have to get rid of their nickname, as "Blue Blazes" is a
synonym for "hell", as in "What in the blue blazes is that?" Maybe "Pearly Gatesmen" would be better--for the boys teams anyways--heaven is so much more pleasant than hell. And there's always Blue Halos if we need a unisex mascot.
6) Leavitt Hornets: Many people are allergic to hornets (not to mention yellowjackets, bees, and wasps) and everyone knows someone who would go into anaphylactic shock if they came into contact with a Hornet. Perhaps an insect that isn't potentially lethal (centipede? carpenter ant?) could be used.
I'm sure there are plenty more (like Winslow Black Raiders: I mean really, in 2013? Raiders are almost as bad as Vikings, and we're going to racially label them?) But those are all the ones I have time for now.....