"Charmins Disease"

Talk about your team and players..No bashing or general negativity will be allowed.

"Charmins Disease"

Postby Archer Bunker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:16 am

I first introduced "Charmins Disease" (The softer generation) about 8-10 years ago it was somewhere around the time that Buddy Wood was forced out at Rockland high school. When I first mentioned "Charmins Disease" some people thought I was crazy and some people thought I was just trying to be funny when I said that "Charmins" was spreading faster than cancer. But I was being serious.
Basically "Charmins" means weaker, a person with no backbone, people that want something without working for it and people who just want things handed to them. I said back then that this was going to ruin high school basketball because of parents whining about playing time and complaining about coaches to administration and school boards with no backbone to have the coach ousted.

Well today I think "Charmins" has pretty much spread throughout the whole state.
I hate to just say I was right..... but I was right. I don't even go to as many games as I used to because I don't like how soft the game is getting. Fundamentals are becoming a thing of the past. There are a few good coaches still out there but there is not many left.

How does everyone else feel about the game today verses 10 years ago?

AB
Archer Bunker
 
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Augusta Area

Re: "Charmins Disease"

Postby LesMillsRockstar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Tough call, although personally I would rather have my kid play for a laid-back coach as opposed to the hard-ass type who dishes out suicides as punishment for missed layups. Just my opinion.
LesMillsRockstar
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:58 am

Re: "Charmins Disease"

Postby TheOneArmMan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:39 pm

LesMillsRockstar wrote:Tough call, although personally I would rather have my kid play for a laid-back coach as opposed to the hard-ass type who dishes out suicides as punishment for missed layups. Just my opinion.


Seriously? Running as a punishment for not executing drills correctly is seen as being a hard-ass?

Man, we really are soft.....
User avatar
TheOneArmMan
 
Posts: 2165
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 am
Location: Brunswick, ME

Re: "Charmins Disease"

Postby LesMillsRockstar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:52 pm

TheOneArmMan wrote:
LesMillsRockstar wrote:Tough call, although personally I would rather have my kid play for a laid-back coach as opposed to the hard-ass type who dishes out suicides as punishment for missed layups. Just my opinion.


Seriously? Running as a punishment for not executing drills correctly is seen as being a hard-ass?

Man, we really are soft.....




Two words: Herb Brooks. If he was coaching, flirting with girls in the stands equals punishment.
LesMillsRockstar
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:58 am

Re: "Charmins Disease"

Postby Peacone36 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 pm

LesMillsRockstar wrote:Tough call, although personally I would rather have my kid play for a laid-back coach as opposed to the hard-ass type who dishes out suicides as punishment for missed layups. Just my opinion.



Oh my............

1st-Missing layups, shouldnt be on the team

2nd-Run your @$$ off for each one missed, eventually, you will stop missing them

3rd-Pat on the rear and a "get the next one" is rarely adequate motivation to get better. That says its acceptable. Why would you ever not want someone to strive to be better?
User avatar
Peacone36
 
Posts: 1798
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Scarborough, ME

Re: "Charmins Disease"

Postby Peacone36 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Archer Bunker wrote:I first introduced "Charmins Disease" (The softer generation) about 8-10 years ago it was somewhere around the time that Buddy Wood was forced out at Rockland high school. When I first mentioned "Charmins Disease" some people thought I was crazy and some people thought I was just trying to be funny when I said that "Charmins" was spreading faster than cancer. But I was being serious.
Basically "Charmins" means weaker, a person with no backbone, people that want something without working for it and people who just want things handed to them. I said back then that this was going to ruin high school basketball because of parents whining about playing time and complaining about coaches to administration and school boards with no backbone to have the coach ousted.

Well today I think "Charmins" has pretty much spread throughout the whole state.
I hate to just say I was right..... but I was right. I don't even go to as many games as I used to because I don't like how soft the game is getting. Fundamentals are becoming a thing of the past. There are a few good coaches still out there but there is not many left.

How does everyone else feel about the game today verses 10 years ago?

AB



Todays children are beyond pathetic. Whole world owes them something, Equal rights somewhere became special rights, everyone gets a trophy, no scores are kept, noones feelings can be hurt, no discipline can be handed down, smack on the ass you're a pervert and going to jail, smack on the head and you're a violent personality.......and going to jail. Noone is responsible for their own actions and on top of that, the generation we thought knew better (this generations parents) defend them even when they are wrong.

If my grandfather were alive...........this nonsense would kill him.
User avatar
Peacone36
 
Posts: 1798
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Scarborough, ME

Re: "Charmins Disease"

Postby lovethegame » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:25 pm

In my practices I make my players run for missing layups. They're allowed so many misses and then for every miss after that they have to run a down-and-back. They also have to run for missing a certain number of free throws, or should I say for not making a certain percentage of free throws. Trust me, running for punishment is not a big deal LesMillsRockstar. It just might be that you are too soft. I've never had a problem in all the years that I've been coaching where running won't solve the problem on the court. Lets take missed layups in a certain drill for example. After a lot of running has been handed out and completed, the pace of the drill usually slows down a little due to fatigue, but you can bet your a$$ that the passes are cleaner and crisper, the drill is run better and more efficiently, and layups are made. You know why? Because players don't want to run. They're starting to think about what they're doing and they're trying to make improvements. Plain and simple. A good coach who knows what they're doing will mix in drills that incorporate running, i.e. "conditioning", so the players don't even realize they're doing as much running as they're doing. Then, to add a little more, you add in the stipulation that if your players don't reach a certain goal then the punishment will be some kind of running or strength enhancing drill. But certain parents and fans do see it that way. They see it as, "Oh my god! Coach So and so made everybody do 5 suicides in practice! He should be fired for making my little Johnny run!" Doesn't work like that.
Last edited by lovethegame on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lovethegame
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: "Charmins Disease"

Postby lovethegame » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 pm

AB, I remember when you first started talking about "Charmins." I thought you were so full of crap then. But slowly, it started to become more and more evident. As the younger generation grew up and had kids of their own and passed on their "soft tendencies" the overall picture became more clear, and now you can see it everywhere. I may not agree with everything you say AB, but this is one thing that you WERE right about all those years ago and we should have listened.
lovethegame
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: "Charmins Disease"

Postby LesMillsRockstar » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 pm

lovethegame wrote:AB, I remember when you first started talking about "Charmins." I thought you were so full of crap then. But slowly, it started to become more and more evident. As the younger generation grew up and had kids of their own and passed on their "soft tendencies" the overall picture became more clear, and now you can see it everywhere. I may not agree with everything you say AB, but this is one thing that you WERE right about all those years ago and we should have listened.





There's a difference, however, between tough and being a d-bag, and too many coaches cross that line. You can bet your a$$ if a coach was being a d-bag to my kid, I'd be going straight to the school board. I know, I ran for a d-bag coach back in the day. Yes, we were successful.
LesMillsRockstar
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:58 am

Re: "Charmins Disease"

Postby thebam » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:56 pm

LesMillsRockstar wrote:
lovethegame wrote:AB, I remember when you first started talking about "Charmins." I thought you were so full of crap then. But slowly, it started to become more and more evident. As the younger generation grew up and had kids of their own and passed on their "soft tendencies" the overall picture became more clear, and now you can see it everywhere. I may not agree with everything you say AB, but this is one thing that you WERE right about all those years ago and we should have listened.





There's a difference, however, between tough and being a d-bag, and too many coaches cross that line. You can bet your a$$ if a coach was being a d-bag to my kid, I'd be going straight to the school board. I know, I ran for a d-bag coach back in the day. Yes, we were successful.

being a d-bag is subjective. making kids run.. doesn't necessarily qualify. why not go to the coach first, then the AD? running strait to the school board because little johnny layup misser had to run a few sprints and got yelled at?
User avatar
thebam
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 10:42 pm
Location: Edmond, OK

Next

Return to Maine HS and Amateur Basketball (BOYS)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AMO12, CM32, Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher and 49 guests