Over the years, your favorite player (s) to watch

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Over the years, your favorite player (s) to watch

Postby refrider » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:47 am

I will take the entire 1979 all state team and put them up against any team from the last ten years! NO CONTESY
refrider

Postby ExpoEddie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 pm

The 1979 team considered by many to be best State Champs ever. The 1999 from PHS would be a great game to watch versus SP of 79. That 79 team gets my vote as best of the very best.
ExpoEddie

Postby mario_spaghettio » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:45 pm

refrider wrote:I will take the entire 1979 all state team and put them up against any team from the last ten years! NO CONTESY
From the last 10 years maybe. a team of the best players post 1990, no way no how.
mario_spaghettio

Postby mario_spaghettio » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:52 pm

refrider wrote:I will take the entire 1979 all state team and put them up against any team from the last ten years! NO CONTESY
From the last 10 years maybe. A team of the best players post 1990, no way no how.

Team: Brett Brown, South Portland; Eric Wieder, Presque Isle; Ken Lynch, South Portland; Mike Bouchard, Katahdin; Chris Jerome, Cheverus

How many of these guys actually played division 1? How many were impact players at the D1 level?
mario_spaghettio

Postby ExpoEddie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:19 pm

I was responding to Championship teams of all eras, not versus an all star team.
ExpoEddie

Postby mario_spaghettio » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:03 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:I was responding to Championship teams of all eras, not versus an all star team.
would be interesting to see a numbers comparison of all championship teams. Not that numbers tell the whole story but it would be interesting to see which teams were most dominant over their oppostion. I wonder which undefeated championship teams had the highest average margin of victory throughout the season and playoffs? To see it broken down by class would be interesting as well to see who were the most dominant championship teams within their respective classification. I don't think any team in C came within 30 of 1993 Winthrop including the playoffs and state game. Possibly the best C team ever?

Quarterfinals

(3) Maranacook 59 (11) Wiscasset 43

(7) Old Orchard Beach 60 (2) Falmouth 53

(5) Jay 45 (4) Erskine Academy 44

(1) Winthrop 104 (8) Freeport 47

Semifinals

(7) Old Orchard Beach 76 (3) Maranacook 57

(1) Winthrop 82 (5) Jay 43

Western Maine Final

(1) Winthrop 91 (7) Old Orchard Beach 61

State Final

WEST-Winthrop 90 EAST-Limestone 57
mario_spaghettio

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:38 pm

"Mario":

In February of 1993 the Saturday before the tournament Class B John Bapst played Class C Winthrop played a tuneup tourney exhibition game. Both undefeated 18-0. Game played at Eastern Maine Community College in Bangor.

Winthrop lead by 17 early in the 4th quarter and Bapst after 6'11" Ken Rassi, Bapst's best player fouled out the Crusaders came back and edged the Ramblers at the end of the game.

Crusaders were the biggest team to ever play in the history of the state. 6'11" center, 2 6'8 forwards, 6'4" point guard, 6'2" off guard and 6'3" sub.

Great game.

Then in state game that year Bapst played York in the state B game at Augusta and Rassi had 20 points in the first 12 minutes of the game and Bapst lead big in the first quarter only to have Rassi get into foul trouble again in the first half and only played 12 minutes in the first half and only 3 minutes in the second half and Bapst still won the game just like in the game against Winthrop as at half-time Rassi reminded his teammates that they came back from 17 down against Winthrop in that exhibition game without him and they could hold onto the lead in this game as York had closed the gap to 2 at the half. Bapst did just that as the Crusaders went inside to the 2 6'8ers and Rassi played the last 3 minutes of the game sitting out last 4 minutes in the 2nd quarter, all 8 minutes of the 3rd quarter and the first 5 minutes of the 4th quarter with Bapst winning 54-49.
bcbc55

Postby mario_spaghettio » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:03 am

Coach Cim, didn't Bapst and Winthrop play an exhibition earlier the same year? 2 great teams for sure.
mario_spaghettio

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:04 am

mario_spaghettio wrote:Coach Cim, didn't Bapst and Winthrop play an exhibition earlier the same year? 2 great teams for sure.

"mario": You have a great basketball memory. I can't remember, but I know Bapst either played them in 1992 or 1993 in November in a pre-season exhibition game at Winthrop and they beat Bapst.

I think, if I can remember correctly it was in 1992 because I don't think that their great freshmen player played in the game at Winthrop, but I do remember him playing in 1993 as a freshmen.
bcbc55

Postby Hendu » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:15 pm

In regards to he 1979 SP team - they were unbelievable. Big (several plyers 6' 5" and up), strong (anyone stronger than Paul Gorham at that time?), quick (Brown/Lynch & more) and well coached as we know. They are only Class A team to score over 100 points in a State Final when they won 102 to 58 over Presque Isle and it wasn't even that close. 102 points - no 3-pt shot - incredible.

Now as far as players, obviously that SP team had great players but 3 of my favorites were not on SP - they played for Cheverus. Stanley Wright (his battles with Burnell and SP frontline are legendary), Dan Costigan (just an awesome athlete, imagine if he had played for his hometown Riots) and then a little later - John Stovall - just about unstoppable when he wanted to be.

Just tremendous rivalries and players for a youngster to see play in 'packed' gyms back then.

More recent players for me:
Keegan Hyland is right at the top of the list along with Dustin Cole.
Hendu

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur