[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - Over the years, your favorite player (s) to watch

Over the years, your favorite player (s) to watch

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Over the years, your favorite player (s) to watch

Postby ExpoEddie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:03 am

I was fortunate to have Jon Stovall on my Forest Gardens team in the old JC Best Summer league. One of the nicest guys one could meet. Missed the first two games because Mom wanted him to rest after winning like 4 events at State Track meet. Tall Paul was with me on the semi-pro Stetson Club. Another top flight guy. He was so smooth and as his hands got better, unstoppable around the rim. Underrated as a defensive player. Lynch and Jimmy Ray were the guards when I played with Shearson in the JC Best league. Lynch was a hawk on defense. Really funny guy. Ray all business, all the time. Personally, I thought McFarland was what put them at the next level. Strong as Gorham, but controlled the baseline and defense like a bouncer in China Town. He had no fear. Whole starting 5 played in college, but Gorham was in football.
ExpoEddie

Postby Speed » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:16 am

Seen all of these greats mentioned over the years ....saw that 93 Bapst vs Winthrop Exhibition at EMTC ....TJ Caouette was freshmen on that Winthrop team.......Rassi on Bapst......really fabulous game....

Geezil rivals or exceeds my mileage in terms of sheer number of greats seen .....we go back a long long time.....no one better to watch a game with ....we are polar opposites politically and fraternal twin brothers in basketball...
Speed

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Speed wrote:Seen all of these greats mentioned over the years ....saw that 93 Bapst vs Winthrop Exhibition at EMTC ....TJ Caouette was freshmen on that Winthrop team.......Rassi on Bapst......really fabulous game....

Geezil rivals or exceeds my mileage in terms of sheer number of greats seen .....we go back a long long time.....no one better to watch a game with ....we are polar opposites politically and fraternal twin brothers in basketball...

"Speed": Great to see you back here on MBR, I have missed your posts and responses to posts.

Little did we know back in 1993 when you were sitting in the bleachers and I was sitting on the bench for that great Wintrhop-JB exhibition game at EMTC that we would be fellow posters here on MBR some years later. Funny how things work out. We meet on MBR.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby Hendu » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 am

Unfortunately, after bringing up his name in my comments on June 7th and that great SP hoops team from 1979 - we have lost an SP legend - Paul Gorham.

An all-time great athlete and person from SP. RIP Paul.

(Note: having an older brother who was a classmate of Paul's, I was lucky enough to watch him as a very young boy and he was my first 'favorite' SP athlete.)

http://obituaries.pressherald.com/obitu ... =189278887
Hendu

Postby ExpoEddie » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 am

The donation request was a result of Paul's respiratory illness that resulted in both legs having been amputated and the fact that he lived thru it was directly related to Paul's fighting spirit. My friend and another teammate drove Paul to the specialty surgeon. Dropped everything and went and got him. I believe he was the head coach at a prep school in CT, and they did not replace Paul, and welcomed him back with open arms. This is tragic. Far too young for the "Cat" to have left his friends & family.
ExpoEddie

Previous

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur