[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 101: Illegal string offset 'Name'
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/mb4/public_html/Assets/Class/Content.class.php on line 102: Illegal string offset 'Text'
MBR.org Forum • View topic - No, your kid is not a superstar

No, your kid is not a superstar

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

No, your kid is not a superstar

Postby hoops88 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:16 am

Unfulfilled dreams that parents are trying to push onto their kids? Remember when sports was just fun?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unfiltered-y ... 57302.html
hoops88

Re: No, your kid is not a superstar

Postby ExpoEddie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:52 am

Nice read. Great insight.
ExpoEddie

Postby reffanfan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:09 pm

the followup story was "High School Coach: You are not Dean Smith"
reffanfan

Postby ball2112 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:46 am

Great watch. I have done some youth sports reffing and witnessed almost the same types of accounts as the man in this video. And he is right, it is a disease and an epidemic. Here is some insight for why I think some of these people think it is okay to behave in these manners.

First, hollywood movies and professional sports have influenced people to think this is what sports is about, "drama". The dramatic affect to sports should only be the great competition and a respectful win and loss. Instead our culture has this idea that competitive means to "win at all costs" which includes this kind of behavior. The only way to win is to be intense, or the only way to win is to have the refs on your side, whatever it may be. That being said, my issue regarding this is that people are allowed to act this way, yell at referees in disrespectful tones, treat other teams players and coaches with disrespectful words and tones, because they believe in "enemies". Some of the toughest, hardest fought competitions I have played in when I played sports were against guys that I now see and speak to and have even made friends with. They were never enemies. They were competition on the court, but human beings on and off the court. We forget that we are all humans every second of every day no matter what we are doing.

My last insight is this generation of parents and more to come are being faced with a different way of sports than it used to be. Back in the day, there was no travel ball, AAU ball, and teams to play on year round. Families enjoyed watching there sons and daughters play sports for their school, and that commitment was not a huge financial burden or commitment on the parents. Now, we are seeing travel ball, AAU, and other forms of teams that kids want to play on. Parents are spending thousands and thousands of dollars a year on expenses and travel for their kid to play, following them around and trucking them around all over their state, surrounding states, and even around the country. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, this is a great opportunity for kids and people that know how to handle it. That being said, this generation has a great deal of parents that cannot handle this. They are so financially and emotionally invested due to the high time and financial commitment that they feel it is just as much theirs as it is the kid. When in reality, you should be making the commitment for your kid to make the best of it. To be the best they can be, to learn work ethic, to learn the values and lessons the sport has to teach.

I am someone who has been fortunate enough to experience playing the sport I have loved all year round through middle school and high school, and my opportunities were great and I learned a great deal from it. But the epidemic is real that these parents are beginning to believe it is theirs just as much as it is their little Jonny and Susie.
ball2112

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur