Reffan's thoughts on Webb's 2018 tourney

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Reffan's thoughts on Webb's 2018 tourney

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:46 pm

geezil wrote:.
............Watching the pros and March Madness will not help in understanding high school rules.

geezil: You are so right, my friend. That's why except for UMaine men's and women's games I do not watch and NBA (Not Basketball Anymore or Nothing But Athleticism) or college basketball until the high schoolers are over.

Now I will start to watch D-1 college.

Like your ways to determine block or charge.
bcbc55

Postby augie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:20 pm

bcbc55 wrote:
............Watching the pros and March Madness will not help in understanding high school rules.

geezil: You are so right, my friend. That's why except for UMaine men's and women's games I do not watch and NBA (Not Basketball Anymore or Nothing But Athleticism) or college basketball until the high schoolers are over.

“Nothing But Athleticism”. Wow!!
augie

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:01 pm

augie wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:

“Nothing But Athleticism”. Wow!!

augie: In the NBA (No Brains Anymore) will be rooting for the only two teams that play from the shoulders up the Spurs and Celtics and in the Big Dance the teams that have 4 year players and play the game more from the shoulders up then the shoulders down like the Butlers, Mercers, Marists, Vermont, etc.
bcbc55

Postby shirefire2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:36 pm

reffan wrote:Now that Webb's invitational tournament is over...here are Reffan's thoughts on it:
REFFAN

WELL SAID
1. reffan depressed on Queen Mertzel's performance...
2. McInniss is now the best ref in Maine
3. Nick Baigle is now the biggest ref in Maine....
4. Morang needs to start wearing a "bro"
5. Reffan did not like the call with .3 seconds in the Gorham chicks game....Reggie "Ned Flanders" Grant has to hold the whistle...let them go to OT. There was a little contact but do you think Coyne, Boomer, McInniss, or Agger make that call? no way.....Coyne would get the crew together during the last dead ball and say...in a tie game...if you call a foul there better be blood coming out of the shooters body!!!
6. T's on Dunks were a joke.....
7. Webb rewarding refs who call it his way was obvious again!!! *Beal had the dunk in the Scarb game...worst call ever....does a state game! Clemenza had two dunk T's....got a state game as well!
8. All contact to the hoop was a called a charge....this needs to stop!
9. 3 seconds not called all year....reffan saw it called 3 times in one quarter!...by the center official!!! wtf?
10. Zebras, understand the game....when a coach is down with under 5 seconds.....good chance he will try to call a TO as ball gets into front court! Know the game!
11. worst called game...easy.....Hall Dale/Richmond game
12. Congrats to the newspapers in the state finally writing about the state of officiating.....

***Reffan now hopes the people in charge will finally make a change.....Everyone retires...even Cim finally did.....Webb needs to go south for the winter.....please please please....get it done!

Reffan, refrider, and mr.beaux are ready to take over!!!

Webby's will be out soon!!!! there are some good ones too!
shirefire2

Postby frankj » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:51 pm

Agree with CIM; the block/player control foul was a very easy call for the impartial official(I did not ref long enough to do many varsity games; however, the middle school, freshmen, and JV games I did were at times much more difficult to call) It is much more difficult for a partial fan or coach as they are bias towards one of the players involved in the block/PCF calls. The defender has a right to his established space(LGP); the offensive player can not charge through that space that the defender is within. If offensive players stay under control, there would be many less player out-of-control fouls. If defenders play good fundamental defense they will generally be in good guarding positions and therefore draw more offensive fouls from their opponents. Any statements about most contacts are PCF's should not be part of the officials' decision making...I did hear this statement in meetings - I ignored it as I am sure most experienced officials like CIM also did. In making these call blow whistle immediately and make the call...if you wait, it appears you are guessing( coaches & players then complain more...fans always complain anyway.
frankj

Previous

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur