Another technical & player is taken out & put back in game

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Another technical & player is taken out & put back in game

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 pm

Again, this basketball season I have seen another or been made aware of a situation where a player gets a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct on the court and the coach immediately takes the player out and then later puts him back into the game.

I have only seen one coach in this situation take the player out and not put him back into the game and it without a doubt cost his team the game as the player was the team's best player.

This game was on the road and this coach showed everyone in the gym and watching the game online that to him, his team, his players, his school and his community that teaching an important "life lessons that cannot be taught or learned in his high schools academic classrooms" was more important then winning a game.

This coach did the thing, at the right time, for the right reason.

He had the same rule for a technical foul that I did in my 40 years in high school and middle school athletics as a coach and as an AD, The only difference was in my rule I added that the player had to run 100 laps around the basketball court before he could practice or play in a game, depending on whether the next day was either a practice or a game.

Usually it was before a practice and while he was running his laps the other players were practicing but they were well aware why he was running. The only time this ever happened when it was the first year I was coaching at a school.

I coached or AD'd in 5th different schools and this only happened at 2 of the schools during the first year. Players and parents knew the rule and when it happened those two times during the first year it never happened again at those schools. It didn't happen at the other 3 schools at all.

I went into coaching for one reason and one reason only '"TO TEACH THE LIFE LESSONS THAT CANNOT BE TAUGHT OR LEARNED IN THE SCHOOLS ACADEMIC CLASSROOMS".

It did my heart good to see at least one coach to teach an important "Life Lesson" by doing the right, thing at the right time, for the right reason, even if it could have cost him the game and in his situation it cost him the game.

Disappointing to see the coaches that took them out and then put them back in the game.

Guess which coach I would hire if I was an AD again.

Yes, you are right. The coach that did the right thing, at the right time, for the right reason. It would have been a done deal and I would not have even interviewed those coaches that didn't do what I thought should have been done if they applied for the position I advertised for. I would want a coach that "Teaches "Life Lessons" and showing how much he believed in teaching those "Life Lessons" even if it cost his team a win.

I didn't allow my own children to play for a coach that didn't teach these important "Life Lessons that cannot be taught or learned in their academic classrooms".
bcbc55

Re: Another technical & player is taken out & put back in ga

Postby frankj » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:28 am

Cim,
Agree with your thoughts on this issue 100%; as your method will strongly impress this lesson so that the likelyhood of ANY of team members will ever commit the same mistake. I always felt that unsportsmanlike technicals were not helpful and a poor example to young players. I did get a few as a coach; I do not think that I ever got one as a player. My high school coach, Richard Gardner, at WA never received even one technical as a coach, therefore, we as players were instructed not to get them( it worked).
I always took players out of the game that received unsportsmanlike "T's"; however, as to not putting them back in, I handle it on a case by case basis; however, I like your method better.
We just had a case here in Chattanooga where two players got into a fight after a loose ball which turned into numerous fights all over the court which included parent and fans also coming down out of the stands causing basically a brawl. This was 2:20 before halftime; game was ended by officials and became a "no contest". The state association suspend both teams from their next game(s) until each school presented an action plan to address this from ever happening again; the association has now suspended the two schools from post season play for two years with fines to both schools.
frankj

Postby county hoopster » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:14 am

Interesting topic. I know after catching Caribou’s game against Houlton the other night, a player was given a T in 3rd, taken out of game for a couple of minutes and put back in. I’m aware that one young fellow on that team has received a few T this winter and from the first one he sat out the remainder of game and the next game. Hmmm. What’s good for one isn’t good for the other? Or could it be the parents of the one who gets to stay in is also the parents who are involved with the s+-t storm surrounding the coach right now? Concessions being made!
county hoopster

Postby dukefan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:23 pm

I think it depends on exactly what happened. Some of these refs are too quick to call a T on these kids. People can disagree, but I watch a lot of games every year, and I see refs favor certain players and teams. Not all the time but it does happen.
dukefan

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 pm

dukefan wrote:I think it depends on exactly what happened. Some of these refs are too quick to call a T on these kids. People can disagree, but I watch a lot of games every year, and I see refs favor certain players and teams. Not all the time but it does happen.

dukefan: I agree. but usually refs may favor players that are nice to them and don't complain about calls. But, it has always been that way.

I always expected my players body language to be regardless of the situation that nobody would know if we were 20 up, 20down or it was a one point game.

If we saw negative body language from an opponent we took him took him to the basket and 9 times out often he would commit a foul.

That is also how I learned to play the game when I was in college. That is where I learned how effective it was along with saying thank you to the ref whenever they gave me the ball for a throw in or a foul shot. Also, always got a loose ball and picked it up and walked it over and handed it to the ref. My players were also expected to do that also.

Great "Life Lesson", you get more with sugar then you do with vinegar".
bcbc55

Postby Patsfan07 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:38 pm

Good topic...my coach many moons ago was very clear that any unsportsmanlike T meant you sat for the rest of the game...and if it happened in the 4th qtr, you sat the 1st half of the next game too.

I’m wondering if today’s coaches are gun shy on being this strict. Remember Coach Conley benched a Senior while at South Portland in the Western Maine finals and he got fired soon thereafter. I remember the SP fans who defended the player over the coach on Mbr.org.....it was hard to understand as the player had a history of similar conduct throughout his career at SP. I think other coaches took notice and are not as harsh....need an AD with a backbone these days ! :(
Patsfan07

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:31 pm

Patsfan07 wrote:Good topic...my coach many moons ago was very clear that any unsportsmanlike T meant you sat for the rest of the game...and if it happened in the 4th qtr, you sat the 1st half of the next game too.

I’m wondering if today’s coaches are gun shy on being this strict. Remember Coach Conley benched a Senior while at South Portland in the Western Maine finals and he got fired soon thereafter. I remember the SP fans who defended the player over the coach on Mbr.org.....it was hard to understand as the player had a history of similar conduct throughout his career at SP. I think other coaches took notice and are not as harsh....need an AD with a backbone these days ! :(

PF07: Great post. Like the T rule for a technical in the 4th quarter not playing in the first half of the next game.

Many times it is not the AD without a backbone, it is the principal, superintendent and school boards or committees.

Seen situations where coaches were backed by the AD. principal, superintendent and still was not rehired by the school board or committee.

But who would want to coach any where they are not backed for doing the right things at the right time for the right reasons....To "Teach the life lessons that cannot be taught or learned in the high school's academic classes".
bcbc55

Postby Fan34 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Withdrawn
Last edited by Fan34 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan34

Postby tjm502 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Fan34 wrote:Player for Oceanside received a technical in Fourth quarter in caribou last night and the coach did not even remove her from the game. I guess different schools have different policies pertaining to unsportsmanlike conduct.

The player in question (for Oceanside) was immediately removed from game and was not put back in even though she was one of their top 3 point shooters and they needed her scoring down the stretch.
tjm502

Postby Manny99 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:15 pm

Here's the problem - the state of officiating has declined in such a way that getting a Technical Foul today is too subjective.

Example 1- Coach Cim institutes a no tolerance Tech Foul Rule. You've read his post, life long lessons outside the classroom, principal with no backbone, etc. Player A sprints back on defense to defend a fast break. He elevates in attempt to block the shot. Unfortunately he misses the ball and his hand hits the backboard making a loud SLAP. Tweet - TECH FOUL on Player A for slapping the backboard. Yup, a T is a T. Coach Cim benches his guy for the remainder of the game, penalizing not only Player A, but the entire team.

Example 2 - Player B dribbling down the court, defender plays aggressive defense, rides Player B out of bounds. Official calls a violation on offense. Player B asks official a question, and BOOM! TECH FOUL 'for questioning my call'. Yup, a T's a T.... done for the game....

I've seen too many situations where officials who have no feel for the game, and have no common sense, needlessly T up kids. I am in full agreement that if a kid demonstrates unsportsmanlike behavior, then he's done for the game and then some. If a kid slaps a backboard or get rung up for asking a legit question, then I don't have any problem with putting him back in after a cool down period.

The Art of Discipline for a Player getting a Technical Foul has to be left to "Coaches Discretion"
Manny99

Next

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur