Zebra of the Week Winner!

post info & talk all things boys basketball....

Re: Zebra of the Week Winner!

Postby reffan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:25 am

Reffan just watched some highlights....

looked like the Greely/Yarmouth game was one heck of a game!

game like that needs an All Star Crew.....and it got it!

Clemenza was on the game! Doesnt matter who the other two zebras were....when Clemenza is on the court...the game will be well officiated!

reffan noticed Reggie Grant on the Gorham/TA game......good to see Grant still working....heard he retired and moved to the Villages.....

Reffan saw Brad "Glen" Campbell on the McAuley game.....ouch.......the top zebra in southern maine being wasted on a girls game???
Reffan found out that Campbell was on the Greely game, but told the assignor he needed a girls game to try to clear his head......guess he is still in shock over his Friday night game with Finley the Packer Fan, and the East German zebra!

hang in there Glen.......the game really needs you out on the floor!!!

I am reffan
reffan

Postby O Head Man » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:23 am

Here's my retroactive nomination from this December 27th contest between Medomak and Brunswick. Check out the 13:30 mark of the video.

When you T a guy up for a Player Control Flop just 1 minute into the game, you're a guaranteed Zebra of the Week winner, are you not? I bet he left his house that afternoon with a plan to make that call. Hanson's reaction is priceless, and the announcers still haven't figured out the call!

http://www.mainecoast.tv/2016/12/29/med ... ck-122716/
O Head Man

Postby 71Comeback » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 am

O Head Man wrote:Here's my retroactive nomination from this December 27th contest between Medomak and Brunswick. Check out the 13:30 mark of the video.

When you T a guy up for a Player Control Flop just 1 minute into the game, you're a guaranteed Zebra of the Week winner, are you not? I bet he left his house that afternoon with a plan to make that call. Hanson's reaction is priceless, and the announcers still haven't figured out the call!

http://www.mainecoast.tv/2016/12/29/med ... ck-122716/

Has to be the worst T I've ever seen before. Right in the same category as Deschaises t'ing Bourassa in W Maine Finals a few years back.

What was this official thinking? He might have indeed drove to the gym wanting to call a T. Blowhard...
71Comeback

Postby reffan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:20 am

O head man,

This guy is def. a winner of the Zebra of the Week Award.....retro active of course...

Reffan has never seen this zebra before though.....so he is asking for help......someone post in on who this guy is? Reffan needs a name to send him the shirt!

This guy obviously is a "Webb-bot" He has robotic mechanics....remember one of Webb's commandments.....call is not important......mechanics are......you will be rated on how robotic your mechanics are...not on whether you got call right or wrong!

A "T" for flopping?? yes, that is in the rule book, but so is 3 seconds.......if anything just call a block on the guy...that will teach him!

But there was more to this and this has always angered the reffan.....guy calls a stupid T and then the coach berates him for 45 seconds....and the ref does NOTHING.......Hanson wanted a T......so by RULE it is a T for flopping....But in the rule book, a coach can not complain like that about a call....so why not a T??? actually he is also out of the box a tiny bit when he is berating the zebra......but no T.....makes no sense to the reffan

O Head Man....reffan will make a bet that you will see this guy in the tournament!!! He is everything Webb looks for in an official.....and the MPA gave this guy 3 more years.......cant make this up......wow!
reffan

Postby bdogpride8 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:05 pm

That would be none other than Joe West.
bdogpride8

Postby reffan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:34 pm

The umpire???
reffan

Postby TheOneArmMan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:09 pm

That is a crazy T. 1-minute into game (so I assume no building bad blood or any other reasons), on a play that happens 20 times a game (some level of flopping). This NEVER gets called, and I don't blame the coach for flipping out about it. Talk about setting a tone. A call like this can send high school kids reeling for an entire game.
TheOneArmMan

Postby clivebixby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Wild Wild West! That was as bad as this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8W9uvhdFZY
clivebixby

Postby longtimefan55 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:10 am

That would be none other than Joe West.

we see this ref and have seen him quiet a bit over the years. our nephew told us West is like a lot of refs in this area, has some good nights and many "rough nights and seems to be a ref that does good when working this areas best refs [Mertsell, Halladay, LeMar, Nadeu, Coffin, Clouteir, etc] and then like alot of refs he'll have a rough night when not with a top ref.
we have seen West in the tourny a few times over the years. we dont remember any really bad calls like that one [we also think not giving a T to the coach was worse than the original T] in his tourny games. remember, refs have good and bad nights to.
longtimefan55

Postby bballmom30 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 am

So if you had a run in with a Varsity Basketball Official in an "off-season" basketball event, and that Official then pointed out that parent's son or daughter to other Central Maine Varsity Officials at other "off-season" basketball events, & you have an Official tell you in confidence that your son or daughter is being targeted at "in-season" Basketball games, would you seek legal advice?
bballmom30

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur