CONSERVATION EFFORTS HAVE PRESERVED 100 MILES MAINE HEAVEN

Favorite hikes, best bikes, upcoming events and more..

CONSERVATION EFFORTS HAVE PRESERVED 100 MILES MAINE HEAVEN

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:54 am

CONSERVATION EFFORTS HAVE PRESERVED 100 MILES OF MAINE HEAVEN

..Every now and again, the snowfall abates for a brief moment and the scudding gray clouds part just enough to reveal the dark outlines of mountain peaks I have come to know so well over the years.

This is the 100-Mile Wilderness, perhaps Maine’s most enigmatic landscape, a vast 750,000-acre expanse bounded roughly by Greenville in the west, Brownville Junction to the east, the West Branch of the Penobscot River to the north and Sebec Lake on the south end.

The Appalachian Mountain Club became a landowner in the heart of the 100-Mile Wilderness region in 2003, a bold move that helped establish a continuous 65-mile corridor of conservation lands. To date, the club has assembled 70,000 acres, built many miles of hiking and skiing trails, and opened three backcountry lodges in the Maine sporting camp tradition.

After several weeks of bone-chilling cold, I’m taking advantage of the mid-January thaw to venture into AMC’s lands and stay for a couple nights at their beautiful off-the-grid facilities, a wonderful 21-mile circuit with comfy cozy respites in two historic log cabins. The trek is also a perfect opportunity to ponder how my beloved 100-Mile Wilderness has been transformed since I first explored here as a teenager.

http://mainetoday.com/maine-outdoors/co ... ne-heaven/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Hiking