China

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

China

Postby mainejeff » Thu May 15, 2008 11:07 pm

I'm not a big fan of Commies, but I must say that I've been pretty impressed by how the Chinese government is handling the earthquake disaster. In comparing this to our government's response to Hurricane Katrina here in the U.S. looks like the disaster scorecard reads........Communism 1 Capitalism 0.
mainejeff

Re: China

Postby spudneck111 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:48 am

I think if you want to look at how the US handles all situations vs. China the score would be more like China-1, US 10,000+++.
Another point to remember, China controls their press far more than the US. Are we really getting the whole story? While free press conditions may be improving over there, they do like to hide their negatives. Meanwhile our press loves to publisize our down falls, especially if they think it would make a conservative leader(Bush) look bad.
On the off chance they are telling it like it is, good for them. It's about time.

On the Katrina front, do you have any idea how much has been done for them? It is unbelievable. There have been abuses, but if we would get the federal government out of the insurance business, we would all be better off.
A hotel owner in Sugar Land, Tex., has been charged with submitting $232,000 in bills for phantom victims. And roughly 1,100 prison inmates across the Gulf Coast apparently collected more than $10 million in rental and disaster-relief assistance.

There are the bureaucrats who ordered nearly half a billion dollars worth of mobile homes that are still empty, and renovations for a shelter at a former Alabama Army base that cost about $416,000 per evacuee.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/27/washington/27katrina.html?ex=1309060800&en=1683e5fa71ecfb90&ei=5090&partner=rss&emc=rss
This is a drop in the bucket. We threw more than enough money at Katrina, it was totally mismanaged at all levels.
spudneck111

Postby mainejeff » Tue May 20, 2008 10:45 am

Sorry spud.....when comparing apples with apples (recent natural disasters)......China won this round. Not only was Katrina predicted days ahead of landfall, but the disaster area was much more concentrated and accessible than the earthquake area in China. Goes to show that you can't depend on Corporate America for some things...........
mainejeff

Postby stonemitt » Tue May 20, 2008 11:52 am

It's really impressive how China demands one child per family to control their population. Now those parents who had kids in those thousands of poorly constructed schools have zero kids. If this happened in the USA those on the left would blame it on Bush and also say he set off a bomb to start the earthquake which really was an effort to control the population
stonemitt

Postby mainejeff » Tue May 20, 2008 12:14 pm

Is this about disaster response or population control?

Start your own thread stoner.
mainejeff

Postby stonemitt » Tue May 20, 2008 6:11 pm

was that meant to hurt me? YAWN. It was in response to your first sentence, you know the one where you said you were a fan of the commies-LOL
stonemitt

Postby mainejeff » Tue May 20, 2008 7:17 pm

mainejeff wrote:I'm not a big fan of Commies......

stonemitt wrote:It was in response to your first sentence, you know the one where you said you were a fan of the commies-LOL

Do you know how to read?
mainejeff

Postby spudneck111 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:43 pm

mainejeff wrote:Sorry spud.....when comparing apples with apples (recent natural disasters)......China won this round. Not only was Katrina predicted days ahead of landfall, but the disaster area was much more concentrated and accessible than the earthquake area in China. Goes to show that you can't depend on Corporate America for some things...........
I think you may just be jumping the gun just a tad. It is way to early to say how their rebuilding will go. The response has just begun. We threw lots of money at Katrina right off the bat. Further, why would you blame corporate America for the poor performance of that lame mayor down there. I personally think we have done more than enough. Problem is you can't help people that won't help themselves.
spudneck111

Postby mainejeff » Tue May 20, 2008 9:58 pm

spudneck111 wrote: Problem is you can't help people that won't help themselves.

How Republican of you. Yes, your Republican Administration spent tens of millions on trailers that sit rotting in swamps. The Katrina relief effort was a total failure of epic proportions.....and EVERY public official involved shares the blame.
mainejeff

Katrina

Postby spudneck111 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:28 am

Should the feds have to go down there and micro-manage these people to use the millions of dollars that have been thrown at them? What exactly do you think my Republican Administration should have done? They give them trailers and as you say, they let them set and rot. I know, we should go down there, take them by the hand, load up their belongings, load up their kids, move them into their new trailer, turn their lights and cable tv on, buy them some groceries, and cook them supper.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.......
spudneck111

Next

Return to Politics