Carpenter v. United States

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

Re: Carpenter v. United States

Postby Mike Tomlin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:40 pm

You're conflating two things Mikey....on net neutrality, the end result of the administration taking the correct, just & constitutional course of action is...."net neutrality" goes away & the roaring success of the internet continues on unimpeded by Uncle Stoopid....


So we're fixing something that isn't broken? Why would major corporate interests want that unless they could charge us more for what we're getting now and make it harder for competition to develop? This administration is led by a guy who has never read the Constitution, and never will... unless and until he puts his name in there.
Mike Tomlin
 
Posts: 2519
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: Carpenter v. United States

Postby hawksfan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Mike Tomlin wrote:
You're conflating two things Mikey....on net neutrality, the end result of the administration taking the correct, just & constitutional course of action is...."net neutrality" goes away & the roaring success of the internet continues on unimpeded by Uncle Stoopid....


So we're fixing something that isn't broken? Why would major corporate interests want that unless they could charge us more for what we're getting now and make it harder for competition to develop? This administration is led by a guy who has never read the Constitution, and never will... unless and until he puts his name in there.


Mikey...thats the point! The FCC power grab authorized by the previous administration is being reversed by the current administration....ergo, what the prior administration tried to "fix" even though absolutely nothing was broken has now been returned by the current administration to the status quo that existed prior to the pernicious regulatory flip from the '96 to the '34 Telecommunications Act...

In other words...back to what it was before...i.e., net result = no change...
hawksfan
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Carpenter v. United States

Postby Mike Tomlin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:54 pm

I am no expert in this. But when a company like Comcast supports a policy change I pay attention. In theory this would allow telecom giants to invest more in fiber optics. Yet look at cable. In return for their "investment" in the lines they got monopolies, and then the industry consolidated. The company that installed the lines in your town is probably long gone.

So today you have a couple of choices for cable, and you are stuck with their pricing and packages. The lack of competition has created horrible customer service and you're stuck with a bunch of channels you never watch. And when a broadcaster balks at the fees cable companies charge they get locked out, you lose that option.

How is this business model different?

On a side note throwing a cheap Pocahontas joke into a ceremony that was meant to honor Navajo code talkers was a new low for this moron. It doesn't matter what you think of Warren, I'm not a fan. But this was a time to honor veterans, not to engage in partisan politics. Although I can see how a draft dodger would have trouble understanding that.
Mike Tomlin
 
Posts: 2519
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: Carpenter v. United States

Postby midcoastman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:33 am

hawksfan wrote:Mikey...thats the point! The FCC power grab authorized by the previous administration is being reversed by the current administration....ergo, what the prior administration tried to "fix" even though absolutely nothing was broken has now been returned by the current administration to the status quo that existed prior to the pernicious regulatory flip from the '96 to the '34 Telecommunications Act...

In other words...back to what it was before...i.e., net result = no change...

Why do you keep insisting that the previous administration took action for no reason?
Image

Obviously a reddit post isn't the greatest source for information, but all of this checks out. The FCC took action for a reason.
User avatar
midcoastman
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:05 am
Location: Mid-Coast

Re: Carpenter v. United States

Postby hawksfan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:59 pm

midcoastman wrote:
hawksfan wrote:Mikey...thats the point! The FCC power grab authorized by the previous administration is being reversed by the current administration....ergo, what the prior administration tried to "fix" even though absolutely nothing was broken has now been returned by the current administration to the status quo that existed prior to the pernicious regulatory flip from the '96 to the '34 Telecommunications Act...

In other words...back to what it was before...i.e., net result = no change...

Why do you keep insisting that the previous administration took action for no reason?
Image

Obviously a reddit post isn't the greatest source for information, but all of this checks out. The FCC took action for a reason.


Considering that the breadth, the scope, of internet usage every minute of every day in America alone is practically unfathomable....in my view the list of grievances you provided is likely statistically unmeasurable & therefore proves my larger point...the government knocks on tne door, announces they're here to help & proposes that THEY institute massive regulation to "solve" a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm with Ronaldus Maximus...."The nine scariest words in the English language...'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'....."......or more simply...."Government isn't the solution to the problem, government IS the problem...."...

Later edit...

https://amgreatness.com/2017/11/27/agai ... eutrality/
hawksfan
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Carpenter v. United States

Postby geezil » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 pm

What we got is the opposite of its name [as usual]. PS Just like Spectrum it will cost (more) and you have little flexibility on your choice of service. I was paying 140/month and now (after the takeover) its 190 now (Advertising for 29-29-29 month for new fools) for the "controlled service". I am trapped (temporarily).
geezil
 
Posts: 2709
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 6:40 pm
Location: Joppa

Re: Carpenter v. United States

Postby Mike Tomlin » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:57 pm

The problem is no longer as simple as big government choking free enterprise, those days are long gone. Now it’s a matter of managing the intimacy that exists between government and the “free” market. That’s the swamp, and your boy Donnie is a water snake.
Mike Tomlin
 
Posts: 2519
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Re: Carpenter v. United States

Postby hawksfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:54 am

Mike Tomlin wrote:The problem is no longer as simple as big government choking free enterprise, those days are long gone. Now it’s a matter of managing the intimacy that exists between government and the “free” market. That’s the swamp, and your boy Donnie is a water snake.


Are the Steelers serious? Chirping a little, weeks in advance? By the coach? Did I read his thoughts correctly? He's named the Champs as his team's white whale, declared that they SHOULD win it all & proclaimed the week #15 showdown as the key must have toward that end?

Yeesh...if they're last ones standing he'll look like a genius, but if they go down, especially if it's in January to The Hoodie & Co. where does leave them then...?
hawksfan
 
Posts: 2316
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Re: Carpenter v. United States

Postby midcoastman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:27 am

hawksfan wrote:Considering that the breadth, the scope, of internet usage every minute of every day in America alone is practically unfathomable....in my view the list of grievances you provided is likely statistically unmeasurable & therefore proves my larger point...the government knocks on tne door, announces they're here to help & proposes that THEY institute massive regulation to "solve" a problem that doesn't exist.

I'm with Ronaldus Maximus...."The nine scariest words in the English language...'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'....."......or more simply...."Government isn't the solution to the problem, government IS the problem...."...

Later edit...

https://amgreatness.com/2017/11/27/agai ... eutrality/


Thanks for posting this article. It proves my point further. Here is a nice quote from the article that complains about exactly what I am trying to defend, so at least I know that you you Hawks are a kool-aid drinking, card-carrying, ultra-polarized follower of anything the Heritage Foundation or some other conservative group might throw at us:

Net neutrality is particularity aimed at preventing any kind of discrimination among content, including “throttling” or price discrimination against data-hogs like Netflix. It would not allow, for example, a higher price to be charged for streaming movies versus a more modest use of data to check an email account. More important, it would not allow an ISP to privilege its own data streams; for example, if Amazon teamed with an ISP, they would not be allowed to do so in a bundled way that charged less for access by preferring Amazon’s own streaming movie and TV services.


So yes, the end of Net Neutrality would allow the cable companies and other major ISP to f*** us up the a**. I'm glad you want the private sector to sort this out. If you hate American internet so much, maybe you should move to Portugal. You can get your swanky new internet bundle there. What a joke this is.
User avatar
midcoastman
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:05 am
Location: Mid-Coast

Re: Carpenter v. United States

Postby Mike Tomlin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:30 am

hawksfan wrote:
Mike Tomlin wrote:The problem is no longer as simple as big government choking free enterprise, those days are long gone. Now it’s a matter of managing the intimacy that exists between government and the “free” market. That’s the swamp, and your boy Donnie is a water snake.


Are the Steelers serious? Chirping a little, weeks in advance? By the coach? Did I read his thoughts correctly? He's named the Champs as his team's white whale, declared that they SHOULD win it all & proclaimed the week #15 showdown as the key must have toward that end?

Yeesh...if they're last ones standing he'll look like a genius, but if they go down, especially if it's in January to The Hoodie & Co. where does leave them then...?


It leaves them right where there are now. Tomlin was honest, it would be great to see more of that.
Mike Tomlin
 
Posts: 2519
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Politics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests