Will we get 65 pages out of THIS...?

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

Re: Will we get 65 pages out of THIS...?

Postby Mike Tomlin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:08 pm

hawksfan wrote:
Mike Tomlin wrote:I think that race is valid because there is a clear pattern. Just like justifiably part of the discussion about the murder rate in Chicago.

Maybe we need to go deeper than just race; if our country is 70+/-% white, doesn't it naturally follow that 7+/- out of 10 of these incidents will be committed by a white person?

I just heard a report...updated info...on the Texas hell hound that within last 5 years was incarcerated in a mental hospital & also had violently threatened superior officers in the USAF. The list of the signs that this rabid dog was a violent psychopath unfit for community living is growing lengthy.

No answers due to the mind bending complexity of the issue....but mental health & the liklihood of violence is an avenue that should be explored.

Yet he beat the system and bought on AR-15 over the counter. He walked into a church wearing body armor with an assault weapon and many thirty round magazines. He was stopped by a civilian who lived near the church, was an NRA instructor, and who used his own AR-15 against the shooter. This is a complex postcard of guns in America today. A good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy, but only after he killed dozens of innocent people gathered for worship.

I don’t think I really care about the murder rate in Chicago more than you, or less. The bottom line is that it’s easy for me to avoid that violence. Hell, I know people who live there and don’t worry about it. It is neighborhood specific.

And I know guns, probably better than you do. I am as committed to my right own and carry concealed as anyone. But I know that a handgun won’t help much if I’m caught off guard with a nut carrying the civilian version of an M-16, and I am willing to accept new regulations on those weapons.
Mike Tomlin

Postby hawksfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:16 am

Mike Tomlin wrote:
hawksfan wrote:
Mike Tomlin wrote:I think that race is valid because there is a clear pattern. Just like justifiably part of the discussion about the murder rate in Chicago.

Maybe we need to go deeper than just race; if our country is 70+/-% white, doesn't it naturally follow that 7+/- out of 10 of these incidents will be committed by a white person?

I just heard a report...updated info...on the Texas hell hound that within last 5 years was incarcerated in a mental hospital & also had violently threatened superior officers in the USAF. The list of the signs that this rabid dog was a violent psychopath unfit for community living is growing lengthy.

No answers due to the mind bending complexity of the issue....but mental health & the liklihood of violence is an avenue that should be explored.

Yet he beat the system and bought on AR-15 over the counter. He walked into a church wearing body armor with an assault weapon and many thirty round magazines. He was stopped by a civilian who lived near the church, was an NRA instructor, and who used his own AR-15 against the shooter. This is a complex postcard of guns in America today. A good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy, but only after he killed dozens of innocent people gathered for worship.

I don’t think I really care about the murder rate in Chicago more than you, or less. The bottom line is that it’s easy for me to avoid that violence. Hell, I know people who live there and don’t worry about it. It is neighborhood specific.

And I know guns, probably better than you do. I am as committed to my right own and carry concealed as anyone. But I know that a handgun won’t help much if I’m caught off guard with a nut carrying the civilian version of an M-16, and I am willing to accept new regulations on those weapons.

He didn't "beat" the system...the system failed...AGAIN...I do have one answer...MORE government is NOT the answer.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... ts-prayers
hawksfan

Postby mainejeff » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 am

hawksfan wrote:I just heard a report...updated info...on the Texas hell hound that within last 5 years was incarcerated in a mental hospital & also had violently threatened superior officers in the USAF. The list of the signs that this rabid dog was a violent psychopath unfit for community living is growing lengthy.

If he was black, he would have been sitting in a Texas prison.
mainejeff

Postby hawksfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:47 pm

mainejeff wrote:
hawksfan wrote:I just heard a report...updated info...on the Texas hell hound that within last 5 years was incarcerated in a mental hospital & also had violently threatened superior officers in the USAF. The list of the signs that this rabid dog was a violent psychopath unfit for community living is growing lengthy.

If he was black, he would have been sitting in a Texas prison.

:roll: ...
hawksfan

Postby Mike Tomlin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:52 pm

He didn't "beat" the system...the system failed...AGAIN...I do have one answer...MORE government is NOT the answer.

That's not an answer. Do you have a problem with the current BATF regulations on fully automatic weapons? Collectors and serious shooters can still get them, but they are highly regulated. Is that a Constitutional violation?
Mike Tomlin

Postby hawksfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Nope, no problem with that all, makes perfect sense to me. That being said...the existence of, the correctness of, that regulation isn't an argument for even more regulation, even more government.

I'm not a zealot....but we have many laws on the books that aren't enforced or incompetently enforced + no new laws are being proposed that will stop an incident even remotely similar to whatever the latest outrage is. Case in point, ( sorry to beat the Chicago drum), the States attorney for that region REFUSES to prosecute straw buyers....wtf? Amirite?
hawksfan

Postby Mike Tomlin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:35 am

Let's focus on mass shootings. Why should rifles like the AR-15 that are designed for combat have the same level of regulation as shotguns or hunting rifles? The only thing that separates them from fully automatic weapons is the need to pull the trigger instead of holding it. Why should it be so easy to buy a weapon with a 30 round magazine that has no reasonable self-defense or sporting application?
Mike Tomlin

Postby hawksfan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:07 am

Mike Tomlin wrote:Let's focus on mass shootings. Why should rifles like the AR-15 that are designed for combat have the same level of regulation as shotguns or hunting rifles? The only thing that separates them from fully automatic weapons is the need to pull the trigger instead of holding it. Why should it be so easy to buy a weapon with a 30 round magazine that has no reasonable self-defense or sporting application?

The guy who put paid to the scumbag's rampage used...an AR-15...

Had the government behaved in a reasonably competent manner it wouldn't have been "easy" for the murderer to obtain his AR-15...

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't AR-15's and the like already banned for about 10+ years? 90's or '00's? And with no appreciable changes to gun incident statistics either way?
hawksfan

Postby mainejeff » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:54 am

Why do you rail against government but embrace an authoritarian regime?
mainejeff

Postby hawksfan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:13 am

mainejeff wrote:Why do you rail against government but embrace an authoritarian regime?

Oh come on MJ, I know you're better/smarter/more astute than this nonsense.

Name one single policy action that could be described as authoritarian, just one. And no an executive order that reverses a previous executive order is not "authoritarian".
hawksfan

PreviousNext

Return to Politics