June 6, 1944

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

June 6, 1944

Postby Mike Tomlin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:05 pm

This is a good day to remember what we've sacrificed. Here's my memory. On June 6, 1994 I was working my shift as a cook at the Cumberland Club in Portland- at that point an old school private Republican business club. The general manager of the club was a retired Army Major.

I'd been working there for a few years, i was also working on my Political Science degree at USM. In that time I never had a real conversation with the GM, he made it clear that line cooks were expected to be seen and not heard. Any message to him had to go through the chef. We all knew that he was a WWII and Korean War vet, he was a really intimidating old guy.

But 23 years ago today I was listening to a radio story about the 50th anniversary of D-Day when Mr. Harper walked through the kitchen and I asked him where he was on D-Day. He stopped and told me that he was in the Airborne Division, he described the tension the troops felt on the days prior to the invasion while they waited in England.

Mr. Harper described how inspired they were when General Eisenhower took the time to mingle and talk with them. He described how he felt on the plane ride across the Channel. And then how he was shot in the knee by The Germans as he was parachuting into France. Mr. Harper hadn't spent a minute in conversation with me until then, but he told me about D-Day for about half an hour. I'm grateful that I got to hear that from him.
Mike Tomlin

Re: June 6, 1944

Postby thedude » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:06 am

Awesome story. I'm now watching "Band of Brothers" with my Amazon Prime subscription. What a story. All about the 101st Airborne. You're very lucky to have heard that story first hand.

-the dude
thedude

Re: June 6, 1944

Postby Mike Tomlin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:41 am

thedude wrote:Awesome story. I'm now watching "Band of Brothers" with my Amazon Prime subscription. What a story. All about the 101st Airborne. You're very lucky to have heard that story first hand.

-the dude

About ten years later I was able to take a tour of the Normandy beaches. It was amazing to see what the allies had to overcome.
Mike Tomlin

Return to Politics