Who do you think will win the presidential election?

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

Re: Who do you think will win the presidential election?

Postby mainejeff » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:29 am

So which promise to voters does he break first?

1. The Wall
2. Deporting 11 million illegals
3. Sending Hillary to prison
4. Repealing Obamacare

There are many others but based on past history.....the bigger the promises, the less chance that they come to fruition. ;)

A lot of promises end up costing a lot of money like infrastructure and military spending......you can't cut taxes AND spend.......unless you balloon the deficit.

My biggest fears are that the environment WILL take a big hit. I'm not talking about killing rare snails and filling in vernal pools......I'm talking about large scale pollution in our air and water......we are returning to the 1970s/80s in that regard. :| Pollution and resulting affects on humans like cancer, asthma, etc. doesn't discriminate between Republicans and Democrats....it affects all of us. Prevailing winds and Maine being on the end of America's tailpipe means a return to unhealthy air and acid rain once Trump fires up the coal plants and Midwestern plants again. Happy breathing! :)

The other is the Supreme Court. We all know that Trump will replace 3 or 4 justices and that means justices with religious based tendencies that want to control our bodies and who we have relationships with......and they will be there for decades. :roll:

The big thing to come out of all this is that the Democratic Party needs to awake from their Utopian Dream and realize that their envisioned fantasyland is driving them off a cliff....reality hit them in the face last night.. Republicans will become emboldened by this win and controlling all phases of government......we all know that means they will face backlash in 4 or 8 years......the story is as old as time. :roll:
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:44 am

One other thing that really bugs me is that we have Trump surrogates now telling us that he didn't mean what he said on certain topics.......so are we not supposed to take his words at face value??? And are we supposed to have 2 different litmus tests.....one for Trump and one for everyone else? :roll:
mainejeff

Postby Mike Tomlin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Here's what I think is the most disgusting thing about yesterday: http://bangordailynews.com/2016/11/08/n ... president/

Bush sent American men and women to fight for democracy, and thousands died as a result. Hundreds of thousands of Afghans and Iraqis died. The idea that we could export democracy to the Middle-East via invasion has now been completely exposed as a fraud. The region is in much worse shape, the refuge crisis is changing Europe.

But Bush couldn't even bring himself to do what millions of the rest of us did, hold our noses and vote for who we thought was the lesser of two evils. The Obama legacy is taking a huge (and well deserved) hit. But yesterday Bush was a coward.
Mike Tomlin

Postby Pirates79 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:30 pm

I feel sorry for my daughter. My wife and I adopted her from China 18 years ago, she was a year old. Now the American populace says it's alright to be racist, misogynistic and to fear immigrants. When she came to this country she was granted automatic citizenship under a bill signed by Clinton. The Patriot act signed by Bush II did away with that provision. So, I ask you all, dig deep and imagine her fears. She' a minority, a woman, an immigrant and her citizenship is in question and it's no fault of her own.
Pirates79

Postby thebam » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:44 pm

mainejeff wrote:So which promise to voters does he break first?

1. The Wall
2. Deporting 11 million illegals
3. Sending Hillary to prison
4. Repealing Obamacare

There are many others but based on past history.....the bigger the promises, the less chance that they come to fruition. ;)

A lot of promises end up costing a lot of money like infrastructure and military spending......you can't cut taxes AND spend.......unless you balloon the deficit.

My biggest fears are that the environment WILL take a big hit. I'm not talking about killing rare snails and filling in vernal pools......I'm talking about large scale pollution in our air and water......we are returning to the 1970s/80s in that regard. :| Pollution and resulting affects on humans like cancer, asthma, etc. doesn't discriminate between Republicans and Democrats....it affects all of us. Prevailing winds and Maine being on the end of America's tailpipe means a return to unhealthy air and acid rain once Trump fires up the coal plants and Midwestern plants again. Happy breathing! :)

The other is the Supreme Court. We all know that Trump will replace 3 or 4 justices and that means justices with religious based tendencies that want to control our bodies and who we have relationships with......and they will be there for decades. :roll:

The big thing to come out of all this is that the Democratic Party needs to awake from their Utopian Dream and realize that their envisioned fantasyland is driving them off a cliff....reality hit them in the face last night.. Republicans will become emboldened by this win and controlling all phases of government......we all know that means they will face backlash in 4 or 8 years......the story is as old as time. :roll:

My feeling is that the " wall" will end up being more symbolic. Border security is paramount . Not sure building an actual wall is feasible, although I support the concept.
thebam

Postby Mike Tomlin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Pirates79 wrote:I feel sorry for my daughter. My wife and I adopted her from China 18 years ago, she was a year old. Now the American populace says it's alright to be racist, misogynistic and to fear immigrants. When she came to this country she was granted automatic citizenship under a bill signed by Clinton. The Patriot act signed by Bush II did away with that provision. So, I ask you all, dig deep and imagine her fears. She' a minority, a woman, an immigrant and her citizenship is in question and it's no fault of her own.

That sucks. Try to keep in mind that the alternative could have been a slim Clinton victory (that could have included an electoral hacking scandal). That would have infuriated Trump's supporters. And at best we would have had a Clinton Presidency that began with impeachment hearings.

Trump can't complain about a rigged system anymore, his victim card got yanked. The GOP and his supporters own this now, they're responsible for what happens next. I'd love it if they could produce a better economy, and improve our national security in ways that don't lead to more war.

But given Trump's track record, and the fact that he spent most of his adult life living and speaking as a political moderate I'm guessing his supporters might be in for a surprise. My prediction is that they will have labeled him as a RHINO by the end of next summer.
Mike Tomlin

Postby mainejeff » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:28 pm

If Trump can keep religious conservatives at bay and off the backs of law abiding Americans like myself.....he will have achieved something. If he can at least recognize the damage that certain completely unregulated industries do to the environment (and human health)....I'd give him a bit more credit as well.
mainejeff

Postby driveandive » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:10 pm

You mean harmful industries like offshore wind farms?
driveandive

Postby hawksfan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:49 pm

mainejeff wrote:If Trump can keep religious conservatives at bay and off the backs of law abiding Americans like myself.....he will have achieved something. If he can at least recognize the damage that certain completely unregulated industries do to the environment (and human health)....I'd give him a bit more credit as well.

In what alternative universe exists an America where there is any industry whatsoever that is "completely unregulated"....?
hawksfan

Postby mainejeff » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:04 pm

driveandive wrote:You mean harmful industries like offshore wind farms?

If they cause air or water pollution that endangers human health....sure.
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to Politics