TOP SHELF GRIPE: Perspective from a conservative millennial

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

Re: TOP SHELF GRIPE: Perspective from a conservative millenn

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:23 am

Liberal media downplays support at tip credit hearing

I was in awe Wednesday morning.

Just after 8 a.m., the halls of the Burton M. Cross Building began filling up with hundreds of Maine restaurant workers preparing for public hearings on a flurry of bills that would roll back provisions in Question 4 and reinstate the tip credit. They all wanted a chance to tell their story and push back against the out of touch Maine People’s Alliance and the union interests that threaten their livelihoods.

I’m no regular in Augusta, but I’ve never seen anything like it. The place was packed, and the grassroots organized Restaurant Workers of Maine easily outnumbered the MPA slacktivists 10 to 1. Bangor Daily News reporter Chris Cousins remarked on Twitter “I have never, ever seen the parking lots around the State House as packed as they are today.”

http://topshelfgripe.bangordailynews.co ... t-hearing/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:32 am

LePage offers real solution to combat rising school costs

While liberals ridicule Gov. Paul LePage’s stance on school regionalization, the real issues plaguing Maine’s public school system get lost in the fray. They are the troubles seemingly too tough to tackle, but real discourse is only being offered from one side of the aisle, and it all starts by asking the right questions:

Why are public school costs rising when enrollment is down? What causes costs to increase? What percent of public funds actually make it into the classroom? What percent of public funds go to direct instruction and resources for students? Is the current system working for Maine students? Why does Maine have so many school administrators for such few students?

http://topshelfgripe.bangordailynews.co ... ool-costs/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

You know, LePage has a real gripe here. There is probably a common sense solution that would benefit many (except the Supers, Asst. Supers, Curriculum Coordinators, etc), including teachers and students. Unfortunately, LePage has spent going on seven years of spouting bombastic nonsense, only occasionally offering sensible solutions to real problems. It's a shame, because we could have moved together as a state in a wonderful direction over the past years, and with a softer tone, common sense solutions like the one proposed here could be easily accomplished. Instead he has spent too much time pissing off the entire left, much of the middle, and even some on the right. A shame for sure.

-the dude
thedude

Postby Mike Tomlin » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:25 pm

thedude wrote:You know, LePage has a real gripe here. There is probably a common sense solution that would benefit many (except the Supers, Asst. Supers, Curriculum Coordinators, etc), including teachers and students. Unfortunately, LePage has spent going on seven years of spouting bombastic nonsense, only occasionally offering sensible solutions to real problems. It's a shame, because we could have moved together as a state in a wonderful direction over the past years, and with a softer tone, common sense solutions like the one proposed here could be easily accomplished. Instead he has spent too much time pissing off the entire left, much of the middle, and even some on the right. A shame for sure.

-the dude

LePage has plenty of valid gripes. He emphasized his business background in both of his campaigns. He may know the management side of business but he can't sell. I've worked with plenty of people with that deficiency. And it is a deficiency.

He's trying to redefine how a governor communicates via his town hall meetings and his dismissal of the MSM. If that was effective we wouldn't have a new minimum wage law and a new tax via referendum. LePage plays to his base, that's it. It doesn't work, I hope Trump doesn't do the same.
Mike Tomlin

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 am

Empty analysis and flawed statistics: MPA struggling to grasp impact of Question 2

...Question 2 imposes a 3-percent surtax on incomes earned over $200,000 to fund k-12 public education in Maine, effectively making Maine’s top income tax rate the second highest in the country and the highest in New England. Additionally, the surtax ensures owners of mom and pop shops pay a higher tax rate than corporations in Maine.

Tipping and the MPA do not want Mainers to know how devastating this is to our economy. They hide behind the “will” of voters who are already experiencing buyer’s remorse on a number of ballot questions passed last cycle.

The Maine Office of Policy and Management (OPM) released a pair of reports in 2016 that perfectly exemplify the many challenges Question 2 poses for Maine’s economy. One report outlines how high earners respond to income tax hikes and includes an economic forecasting model that shows trends of out-migration by Maine’s top earners as a result of Question 2.

http://topshelfgripe.bangordailynews.co ... uestion-2/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat May 13, 2017 4:38 am

Maine is one step closer to restoring the tip credit

My faith in government was restored Wednesday when the Labor, Commerce, Research and Economic Development Committee (LCRED) voted 11-2 in favor of LD 673, a bill that would reinstate the tip credit in Maine.

After a marathon public hearing dominated by restaurant workers and a month of deliberation, the LCRED committee came to a bipartisan agreement to overturn the provision in Question 4 that abolished the tip credit in Maine last November. The agreement includes requiring restaurant owners implement a number protections for their tipped workers, however many of the supplemental conditions already exist under state and federal laws.

Additionally, Rep. Stacy Guerin, R-Glenburn, was able to attach an emergency preamble to the bill, meaning if LD 673 passes in both the House and the Senate, it would become law in time for the summer service boom.

http://topshelfgripe.bangordailynews.co ... ip-credit/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Mike Tomlin » Sat May 13, 2017 6:32 am

Tom Nolette wrote:Maine is one step closer to restoring the tip credit

My faith in government was restored Wednesday when the Labor, Commerce, Research and Economic Development Committee (LCRED) voted 11-2 in favor of LD 673, a bill that would reinstate the tip credit in Maine.

After a marathon public hearing dominated by restaurant workers and a month of deliberation, the LCRED committee came to a bipartisan agreement to overturn the provision in Question 4 that abolished the tip credit in Maine last November. The agreement includes requiring restaurant owners implement a number protections for their tipped workers, however many of the supplemental conditions already exist under state and federal laws.

Additionally, Rep. Stacy Guerin, R-Glenburn, was able to attach an emergency preamble to the bill, meaning if LD 673 passes in both the House and the Senate, it would become law in time for the summer service boom.

http://topshelfgripe.bangordailynews.co ... ip-credit/

I don't know about my faith in government as a whole, but I have more in the legislature today.

Here's what scares me about Maine now. Restaurant owners up and down the coast are complaining that the new immigration rules are preventing them from importing summer workers from other countries. But here in Southern Maine there's a bum with a cardboard sign on every traffic island.
Mike Tomlin

Previous

Return to Politics