DNC Vote

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

DNC Vote

Postby billzfan34 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:26 pm

The DNC voted to allocate all Michigan and Florida delegates with a half vote each.The total now needed to win is 2118,with both Clinton and Obama making small,seemingly insignificant jumps.Guess I'm wondering why bother with the whole deal to end up status quo.No one was happy before and no one is happy after.
Arrive...Raise Hell...Leave
billzfan34

Re: DNC Vote

Postby bainsey » Sat May 31, 2008 11:17 pm

There's a lot of talk about this campaign going on "too long." Do these people have short memories?

Remember when the candidates were decided at the conventions? Only in the last 20 years or so have the primaries/caucuses played a bigger role. If this one goes to the convention, would that be such a bad thing? There would still be enough time for the Dems to run a campaign against McCain, and it might make the convention interesting again.

"ROLL CALL!....(name of state)....Mr. Chairman, the great state of (wherever)....home of (three or four big names from the past), and the home of (five or six great Americans that invented something in his/her basement in that state)...a state of great tradition and way of life... and (five or six more unique things)... cast its 456 votes for (frontrunner), and one vote for (also-ran)!!!!" The crowd then boos that it wasn't unanimous.
bainsey

Postby CFJunior » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:21 am

I watched some of the DNC meeting yesterday and couldn't believe what I was watching. How many times is Hillary Clinton going to try and change the rules of the DNC? Her advisor Harold "I'll do and say anything to win!" Ickes had the balls to sit their and lecture other committee members about what is fair and that what they did in Michigan was "hyjacking" the elected results of that state. Mr. Ickes suffers from sort term memory loss. Just a year ago he voted to NOT give Florida or Michigan any delegates at the convention if they violated DNC rules and move up their primaries or caucuses. That was when his candidate was clearly the front runner for the Democratic nomination. Now that it appears she has lost the nomination Mr. Ickes and the Clinton's wants to change the rules of the game.

What should have happened yesterday was this. Michigan should have not been allowed to have any delegates for the DNC convention. Neither Clinton nor Obama should have gained any delegate count from that state. Now once the convention started then Michigan could have lobbeyed to have their full delegation seated. Florida is a different issue. Yes they violated the rules but not because they wanted too. The Florida GOP forced the Democrats to have the primaries when they did. As an Obama supporter I think he should have allowed for the full seating of delegates for Florida. I think that was a tactical mistake on his part but we'll soon see if I'm right. As it stands Clinton gained 19 delegates from Florida which is more then she would have gotten if none of the delegates were seated in Denver. Giving Clinton an extra 19 delegates wouldn't change Obama's path to the nomination and it would have made the Clinton voters happy. Nothing other then Clinton getting all the delegates from Michigan would have made her and her supporters happy. This is what HRC said in New Hampshire when asked about Michigan and Obama not being on the ballot, "WE all know that Michigan is not going to count so Obama not being the ballot won't matter." When asked why she kept her name on the ballott this was Clinton's response, "I kept my name on the ballot because I didn't want to offend the voters of Michigan!"

So let's see now. HRC's top advisor Mr. Ickes voted to not seat either Michigan or Florida if they moved up their primaries. So either Mr. Ickes is a hypocrit or a political opportunists? I'd say he and his candidate are both.
CFJunior

Postby gmmesftbl » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:45 am

If I remember right Al Gore tried to change the election rules mid-stream and it didn't work for him either , when will they learn ?
gmmesftbl

Postby CFJunior » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:37 am

gmmesftbl wrote:If I remember right Al Gore tried to change the election rules mid-stream and it didn't work for him either , when will they learn ?

Actually you are incorrect. Al Gore challenged the results from Florida in 2000 which is something he should have done. Remember all the major networks called the 2000 Florida election for Al Gore based on exit polls. That was the only time since the media starting using exit polls to call political races that exit polls failed. So forgive Al Gore for if he didn't trust GW Bush, and the Republican Secretary of State for Florida in 2000, Katherine Harris.

Since 2000 exit polls used by ALL of the media outlets have been correct when calling a political race. Florida in 2000 has been the only example of where an exit poll was wrong. So why was it wrong? :? Maybe more Florida voters actually supported Al Gore then GW Bush? We certainly have paid the price for that election ever since.
CFJunior

Postby spudneck111 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:25 pm

CFJunior wrote:Remember all the major networks called the 2000 Florida election for Al Gore based on exit polls.
Actually they called it for Gore before they didn't. And both times were before the totals were in.

They actually tried to influence an election by getting voters in the panhandle, a more conservative part of the state, to think they were wasting their time by voting. Remember that much of the panhandle is in a different time zone and the polls are open an hour later than in eastern Florida.

Another fine job by our liberal media............
spudneck111

Postby CFJunior » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:46 pm

spudneck111 wrote:
Actually they called it for Gore before they didn't. And both times were before the totals were in.

They actually tried to influence an election by getting voters in the panhandle, a more conservative part of the state, to think they were wasting their time by voting. Remember that much of the panhandle is in a different time zone and the polls are open an hour later than in eastern Florida.

Another fine job by our liberal media............[/quote]

Actually Spud if memory serves me correctly they called Florida shortly after 9pm EST. They pulled Florida back just before 10pm and around 11pm they called Florida for Bush, and then pulled that call back shortly after that. I can still remember all the networks getting very red faced on both occasions. It wasn't just the so-called liberal media who called the race for Gore shortly after the 9pm hour but far right wing Faux Noise did as well. Why? Because the exit polls in all 50 states in 2000 and 2004 were controlled by the AP polling service. CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox don't do their own exit polling when calling an election result. That is done by someone else. So now do you see why Al Gore pulled back his concession in the early morning hours and why we had such a big political fight. We still haven't recovered in my opinion from that political fight.
CFJunior

Postby coachhawk » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:06 pm

Here is a CNN timeline of the 2000 Florida debacle:

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITIC ... index.html
coachhawk

Postby spudneck111 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:18 pm

In fact, the networks which called Florida for Gore did so early in the evening—before polls had even closed in the Florida panhandle, which is part of the Central Time Zone. NBC called Florida for Gore at 7:49:40 p.m., Eastern Time. This was 10 minutes before polls closed in the Florida panhandle. Thirty seconds later, CBS called Florida for Gore. And at 7:52 p.m., Fox called Florida for Gore. Then at 8:02 p.m., ABC called Florida for Gore. Only ABC had waited until the Florida polls were closed.
I think there should be a law and it should be enforced nation wide. Stuff like this can affect turnout in other states also. Once again CF is wrong. He does stumble on to a fact every now and then, kinda like Obama. But most of what he says is nothing but liberal talking points that are about 80% BS. Make that 90%.

Fact... Bush won, Gore lost.
So why was it wrong? Maybe more Florida voters actually supported Al Gore then GW Bush?
These are CF"s words, no matter all the recounts, even by liberals, CF is content to promote the lie that Gore possibly got more votes in Florida. Folks, that is part of being a liberal.
spudneck111

Postby X31 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:23 pm

Spud you're just not being open minded. They didn't let them do enough recounts to find the right combination. For example, what if they recounted all ballots that contained pregnant but not hanging chads, and assumed that 75% of all Buchananan votes were actually "intended" for Gore (due to the confusing ballot). "Voter intent" is everything you know, even more important than the actual vote on the ballot.

X31

Next

Return to Politics