Why are oil prices still high?

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

Re: Why are oil prices still high?

Postby coachhawk » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:35 am

TV and movie violence was there in the 60s and 70s...granted there may be more of it today...however...I think the difference may be the context in which the youth are watching it.

Generally...my generation was not placed in front of the tv to be babysat for hours by it. In our house that 1 tv was in the family room where I could watch it with my parents and extended family. Watching tv was something we did as a family...no matter what the program. There was interaction and discussion.

I don't believe this type of family interaction is as common in this generation. it's not uncommon for youngsters to have their own tv in their room and often time parents are too busy or unwilling to watch the same programs their children are watching. The tv has become a babysitter for the child at a very young age. It's very easy for the child to isolate his/herself from the world as that is all he/she has known.
coachhawk

Postby spudneck111 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:56 am

stonemitt wrote:What I'm saying is EXPOSURE was there in the 60's-70's.
I guess my exposure was limited since we did not watch much TV. I just don't remember shows that glorified things like foul language, infidelity, pre-marital sex, homosexuality, single parent house holds, etc... like they do today. I also don't recall those things being glorified in our local community. Did they happen.... sure, but it was frowned upon.

Coach, I believe you are right about the TV becomming a babysitter. You could probably throw in the computer also. In either case, children should be monitored and interacted with by the parents.
spudneck111

Postby stonemitt » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:36 am

Which, I believe, all takes us back to what archer bunker said and since I dislike the lenght of posts which the reply to a quote button gives your on your own-LOL
stonemitt

Postby stonemitt » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:44 am

Spud, I can remember people who had extra marital affairs, premarital sex (not me), were gay, had sex with teachers, over indulged in alcohol, drugs, tobacco, murders, rape, B & E's, and probably most anything else going on today. I don't think any of it had anything to do with what was on TV. I will grant with the computers, cable etc it is more publicized (more quickly too) but if those things weren't going on in Houlton back in the 60's-70's it was probably closeted or maybe you misremember-LOL
stonemitt

Postby spudneck111 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:16 pm

There is a huge difference between those things going on in Houlton and having huge media outlets normalizing or glorifying those activities and putting it in the face of Houlton's youth on a daily basis.. I think.
spudneck111

Postby stonemitt » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:53 pm

which has what to do with oil prices???? LMAO
stonemitt

Postby spudneck111 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:50 pm

I don't mind sticking to the topic, but I don't think I was the first poster on this thread to veer off topic. (not sure, but I'm not going back and check either).
spudneck111

Previous

Return to Politics