Why are oil prices still high?

Please keep it clean with no profanity or personal attacks

Re: Why are oil prices still high?

Postby stonemitt » Fri May 30, 2008 3:39 pm

mainejeff wrote:
stonemitt wrote:They're here everyday(M-F) jeffy, as a matter of fact and the gods honest truth I was coloring a picture of Dora in an inflatable raft while posting to DAC. Thinking all the while the 2 yr old I was coloring with had more personality than you. Isn't it about time for you to give your famous "I'm outta here" quote

Quite frankly, I'd rather spend a week with spud or mainerman than you. At least they don't have multiple personalities.

Gee Jeffie, I don't have a UMO degree like you so I'll defer the question to you-wouldn't the tell all be if mainer and spud would rather spend the week with you? P.S. Dora is with backpack
stonemitt

Postby spudneck111 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:08 pm

coachhawk wrote:
DAC18 wrote:I blame television networks, film companies, fast food, nintendo, rap music, sue happy people, liberals and the lack of ethics morals and values.

Can we really blame it ALL on the above when it is we the individuals who make poor decisions to indulge in those things that may affect the quality of our lives and that of our children/families.

I think DAC is right, indirectly. I think the repeated exposure to all of those things have affected the "we the individuals" that you speak of Coachhawk. Also, I would not consider that an all inclusive list.
spudneck111

Postby stonemitt » Fri May 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Spud, as a kid I'm guessing you watched the 3 stooges. Did you ever take a saw to anyone's head?
stonemitt

Postby spudneck111 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:07 pm

stonemitt wrote:Spud, as a kid I'm guessing you watched the 3 stooges. Did you ever take a saw to anyone's head?

No.

I am assuming that you are refering to the part about blaming TV. I am refering to what influences the values and morals of people in general. Look at the language on TV today as compared to when we were children. Look at the shows that normalize things like infidelity, homosexuality, pre-marital sex, etc..... You don't think that all that has had some affect on how our youth look at certain acts as being acceptable today that were taboo when we were kids? Hollywood has had a great effect on our culture. I don't think it is all good.

Movies..... Just look at the difference between the original Rambo and the latest one. I think they do steralize our youth as to the sight of blood and guts. I still turn my head or close my eyes at some of the gory scenes. It would be kind of like being a liberal seeing Obama coming to the potium to speak, yikes, what's he going to say next???? :mrgreen:
spudneck111

Postby stonemitt » Sat May 31, 2008 3:24 pm

I agree right up to two special points and then you lose me. Decisions and the blame game. Which takes me right back to the 3 stooges question.
stonemitt

Postby stonemitt » Sat May 31, 2008 3:32 pm

Meant to add, those things you listed may not have been going on in Houlton when we were kids but they sure were here. I didn't even have to see them on TV. Has the exposure of let's say homosexual activity on TV changed your view? Mine either-LOL
stonemitt

Postby spudneck111 » Sat May 31, 2008 4:24 pm

Are you saying that exposure to all those things have had no effect on our culture?

I would say that your and my values and morals were probably set before the constant exposure to this crap on TV. I don't think TV is going to chang the values of people that already have those values in place. I would however say that it could have an effect on younger folks who are just forming a value system. And that effect could be even greater if no parental guidance is offered or that guidance has also been affected. I think you underestimate the influence of this type of media on our youth.

Actually I never saw the 3 Stooges as a child because we only got two Canadian channels when I was a kid and neither one showed the three stooges as I recall. I probably never watched more than two hours of TV in a week when I was growing up. Bonanza and Ed Sullivan sometimes on Sunday evening after Church.
stonemitt wrote:I agree right up to two special points and then you lose me.
And you lost me, so I guess we're even.
those things you listed may not have been going on in Houlton when we were kids but they sure were here.
There was widespread promotion of infidelity, homosexuality, pre-marital sex, etc..... as being normal everyday life practices in Rockland back in the 60's? Maybe I have led a sheltered life.
spudneck111

Postby stonemitt » Sat May 31, 2008 5:59 pm

I don't know how widespread but those issues were all in existence while growing up for sure. I'm pretty sure cowboys and indians used to kill each other on tv all the time too, I can't remember wanting to kill anyone. Decisions= one can watch all the violence or sex on TV one wants to but the decision to do right or wrong lies with me. Hopefully I won't now have to explain the blame game-LOL
stonemitt

Postby spudneck111 » Sat May 31, 2008 8:09 pm

So, are you saying exposure to all those things has had no effect on our culture and how many people view certain behavior? And in turn how they view certain behavior could possibly affect decisions and whether or not they view certain behavior as acceptable or not. Remember, when I agreed with DAC, I stated these things have an indirect effect on the decisions that we as individuals make. Unless you think that we are born with a set of values that are unaffected by anything we see or hear, I don't see how you could disagree with that.

I really don't remember any TV shows that promoted the idea that killing was okay. I don't even remember advancing the idea that they did.

Is it just possible that sometime in your life that someone told you that murder is wrong? I mean reality is that everything-- Mom and Dad tell us murder is wrong, laws tell us murder is wrong, the Bible tells us murder is wrong, and even TV shows tell us that murder is wrong.... So maybe it did sway your and my decision.. not to murder anyone. So, should we play the blame game for that decision?

Now if we had no guidance in our life and everything that we saw and heard told us that we were in a "survival of the fittest" world and if we want to survive, we must kill... Would we make the same decision. And would we be the only ones to blame... afterall, it is our decision.
spudneck111

Postby stonemitt » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:38 am

Not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is EXPOSURE was there in the 60's-70's. How many people do you know who don't realize murder(for an example) is wrong no matter how they glorify it on TV. People make decisions, live with the decisions without blaming someone/something else
stonemitt

PreviousNext

Return to Politics