Coach Wolfe Fired

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Coach Wolfe Fired

Postby hoopsforfunandcomp » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:29 pm

Coach Wolfe was let go today at BU after many successful seasons. He made it to the NIT or NCAA 5 times and was 50ish games over .500 as a coach at BU. I had the opportunity to work with him at camps and he is a class act that ran a class program. Surprised at the decision.
Last edited by hoopsforfunandcomp on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoopsforfunandcomp

Re: Coach Wolf Fired

Postby billzfan34 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:41 pm

15 years at one place is a long time nowadays and with BU not making the NCAA or NIT for a few years now,I can see where the higher ups may want a change of pace...Throw Woodward out of Maine and bring Wolff here....
Arrive...Raise Hell...Leave
billzfan34

Re: Coach Wolf Fired

Postby thecmsb » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:50 pm

billzfan34 wrote:15 years at one place is a long time nowadays and with BU not making the NCAA or NIT for a few years now,I can see where the higher ups may want a change of pace...Throw Woodward out of Maine and bring Wolff here....

The more I see from UMaine Men's B-Ball, the more I like that plan. I keep hearing what
a great recruiter the guy is, and he definitely brings in talent, but he doesn't get much done with it.
thecmsb

Re: Coach Wolfe Fired

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:58 pm

to quote cim, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. we all keep saying that woodward and staff do a good job recruiting, and although i would concede that holland/lowe/o'brien > socoby, mcnally, peay, etc. if wolffe is only a good recruiter than whats the difference between him and the current staff?
over under on justin edwards dunks this year: 1.5 per game
UMaineSuperfan

Postby thecmsb » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:01 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:to quote cim, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. we all keep saying that woodward and staff do a good job recruiting, and although i would concede that holland/lowe/o'brien > socoby, mcnally, peay, etc. if wolffe is only a good recruiter than whats the difference between him and the current staff?

He did get BU to the NIT. If he could get them into the above .500 realm that would be a start...

His career record was 247-197, not bad.
thecmsb

Postby SeaDogsFan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:09 pm

Only one person said he's "only" a good recruiter.

If I said Pat Summit couldn't coach worth a lick, would we start arguing Cindy is better than Summit, UMSuperfan?

Wolfe had a solid record at BU, one that would make a majority of America East and similar mediocre conferences full of jealousy amongst the mid-to-low level (and below) schools in those conferences.

He won't have any trouble finding a job.
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:02 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:to quote cim, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. we all keep saying that woodward and staff do a good job recruiting, and although i would concede that holland/lowe/o'brien > socoby, mcnally, peay, etc. if wolffe is only a good recruiter than whats the difference between him and the current staff?

UMaineSuperFAN: COULD IT BE coaching. Wolfe has Won. He has won the AmericA EAST TOURNEY 2 TIMES and been to the big dance twice. That is two times more than the current UMaine Head Coach and his staff have been.

He was 17-13 and finished 3rd in the regular season only to get knocked off in the quarter-finals, I would take Wolfe at UMaine in a Heartbeat. Just as I would Bill Herrian the UNH Coach, they both have proved that they can recruit and that they can win with what they have recruited something the Current Maine staff has never even got close to doing, WINNING BIG..with what vthey have recruited.
bcbc55

Postby bainsey » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:12 pm

No-one is saying how much Wolff and athletic director Lynch got along, but you better believe, considering Wolff's record, it wasn't very good. You don't let a guy go like that without some detesting going on. Remember Grady Little?
bainsey

Postby mainejeff » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:50 pm

bainsey wrote:No-one is saying how much Wolff and athletic director Lynch got along, but you better believe, considering Wolff's record, it wasn't very good. You don't let a guy go like that without some detesting going on. Remember Grady Little?

Aren't we lucky that Blake James gets along so well with all of the UMaine coaches....... :roll:
mainejeff

Postby mainebbfanjs » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:51 pm

mainejeff wrote:
bainsey wrote:No-one is saying how much Wolff and athletic director Lynch got along, but you better believe, considering Wolff's record, it wasn't very good. You don't let a guy go like that without some detesting going on. Remember Grady Little?

Aren't we lucky that Blake James gets along so well with all of the UMaine coaches....... :roll:

MaineJeff, you hit the nail on the head......Blake James and Woodward are close friends.......
mainebbfanjs

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics