Woodward Sees Brighter Days ahead

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Woodward Sees Brighter Days ahead

Postby The WIZ » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:20 pm

Ted Woodward's message to the basketball diehards: "We're very, very close."

The University of Maine men's basketball season ended Friday with a first-round loss to Hartford in the America East tournament.

Despite showing some signs of a team on the rise, Maine finished 9-21, losing 10 of its last 11 games.

Woodward vowed better days are ahead, citing the emergence of some young player.

Link to complete story:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=244081&ac=PHspt

The WIZ
The WIZ

Re: Woodward Sees Brighter Days ahead

Postby Archer Bunker » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:47 pm

Maybe he has some good out of state recruits lined up.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby BALLFAN2009 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:50 am

Very very close is the upper part of the league! Maine was (or tied) to be the worst team in America East. THAT'S NOT CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the time your young players develope you lose the veterans that would have made the team good if the young players were DivI ready. Maine is not a place to get young kids and hope for the best. You need Juco players and transfers to establish a few winning seasons then kids might want to come. Like the women did when Cindy was playing here. Once they started winning consistantly other kids didnt mind lookingat Maine as an option.
BALLFAN2009

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:35 am

BALLFAN2009 wrote:By the time your young players develope you lose the veterans that would have made the team good if the young players were DivI ready.

Boy, you sure hit that one on the head! You can't afford to wait 2 or 3 seasons for freshmen players to "develop".......it ends up being a vicious cycle of losing veterans and relying on new players that take another 2 or 3 years to develop. :roll:

Other teams in the league reload (BU, Vermont, Albany, Binghamton). There's no excuse for Maine finishing at the bottom of the league for 2....3.....4 years in a row!
mainejeff

Postby bainsey » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm struggling to recall any JUCOs that played with Cindy Blodgett.
bainsey

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:13 pm

bainsey wrote:I'm struggling to recall any JUCOs that played with Cindy Blodgett.

I believe that he was referring to the winning seasons that were established when Cindy was playing......winning made the program more attractive to better recruits.
mainejeff

Postby SeaDogsFan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Cindy Blodgett had a good coach and was the greatest player this state had ever produced, if I remember right.

I don't have the list or facts but I think it'd be fair none of the players on the UMaine roster are even top 10 in terms of best ever to play HS ball in this state.
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Postby mainebbfanjs » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:12 pm

mainejeff wrote:
BALLFAN2009 wrote:By the time your young players develope you lose the veterans that would have made the team good if the young players were DivI ready.

Boy, you sure hit that one on the head! You can't afford to wait 2 or 3 seasons for freshmen players to "develop".......it ends up being a vicious cycle of losing veterans and relying on new players that take another 2 or 3 years to develop. :roll:

It seems to me that the "young" players were the ones that stepped up this year......Rogers, McLemore, McNally, Peay......it was the veteran players, Socoby and Bernal that didn't develop.
mainebbfanjs

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:06 pm

SeaDogsFan wrote:Cindy Blodgett had a good coach and was the greatest player this state had ever produced, if I remember right.

I don't have the list or facts but I think it'd be fair none of the players on the UMaine roster are even top 10 in terms of best ever to play HS ball in this state.

Definitely not! But there are only 2 players from the state on the team.......1 is a walk-on from a Class D school and the other had a major injury in high school which has limited her effectiveness in college. I want to know where all the D-1 recruits are from the state's Class of 2008 and the Class of 2009???
mainejeff

Postby Patsfan07 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Just read where the BU coach, Dennis Wolff, was fired...after a 17 - 13 season and 247 - 197 career. I think it's safe to say Woodward wouldn't survive at BU !
Patsfan07

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics