Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby Patsfan07 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:57 pm

I believe Bangor's Jon McAllian was redshirted, so he should be on the roster next season.
Patsfan07

Postby bainsey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:51 pm

mainejeff wrote: And if they don't.......will Woodward use the "young" and "inexperienced" EXCUSE AGAIN???

Wouldn't you agree bainsey that once a coach uses the "young" excuse for 4 years in a row........that it REALLY becomes an EXCUSE for other shortcomings???

The youth defense can only go so far, certainly. With one senior and two juniors, I still think it flies to a certain degree this year, but not next year.

aechamps wrote:Bainsey, who are are the two redshirt freshman?

Pats is right; McAllian is one, and he's actually the only one. I thought Mitchell was the other, thinking he didn't get into enough games, but I was surprised to see he played in 11 this year, one more game than Ryan Martin did.

So, we'll have two seniors, three juniors, five sophomores, one redshirt freshman, and the newcomers. That may weigh a bit young, but the five seniors and juniors carry enough experience to do damage in the conference.
bainsey

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:55 pm

Thing is......many other teams in the conference win with youth. Stony Brook is a good example of that this season. I think that coaching and talent level has a lot more to do with wins and losses than "youth" does.
mainejeff

Postby BALLFAN2009 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Bainsey wrote" I went to Albany for the tourney this past weekend, and I heard from more than one fan that Maine is just a few small items away from the top half of the conference. The general opinion is that if Maine could effectively get the ball inside more, watch out. "

They have to get to the middle of the pack before they can get to the top of the pack. While establishing an inside game is important the middle guys have to produce for that to become a formula for success. If they didnt get the ball inside this year and that was all they needed to do then i question the coaching. They need good Div 1 recruits to go with the few Div 1 players they got. They do got youth on their side but not Div 1 talent as a whole! Hit the JUCO path to blend in with the young talent but get DIV TALENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BALLFAN2009

Postby bainsey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:14 pm

JUCO talent is a double-edged sword. When UMaine went after JUCOs regularly, people complained there was no continuity with the team. Now that UM doesn't have JUCOs, we're complaining about not enough talent.

mainejeff wrote:I think that coaching and talent level has a lot more to do with wins and losses than "youth" does.
I agree, though I would put talent level ahead of coaching. I just don't think you can discount youth altogether. The question remains that if there's enough talent right now, combined with experience, to make for a serious conference contender.
bainsey

Postby idroptreys23 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:04 pm

bainsey wrote:The question remains that if there's enough talent right now, combined with experience, to make for a serious conference contender.

I think they're all talented and experienced enough to this point. Another key to the puzzle we have to mention is are they being utilized properly?
idroptreys23

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:53 pm

Maine Men's Basketball problems stems from the following:

1. Playing players out of position.
....A. McNally is not a post player he is too small, he is a face the basket player
....B. Socoby is not a shooting guard, however he did lead the team in scoring so he met that obligation even though he was playing out of position. He is and always has been a point guard. He is a creator and a passer. He is the type of player who at point makes his teammates better. It is not his fault he is beugin played out of position any more than it is McNally's
2. No inside game. Maine needs to recruit a decent D1 big man and USE HIM CORRECTLY
3. Too much relience on the 3 point game 33% of Maines field goal attempts came from beyond the arc and they only made 33% of the 3's they took
4. No experienced older assistant coaches, you cannot keep hiring young former UMaine players and expect to get anything from them other than what they got from the current head coach as players, no new ideas or philosopohies
5. Lack of individual and team disciplinee
6. Poor shot selection
7. Poor basketball decision making by players and coaching staff
8. Poor game preparation planning
9. Poor game management
10. Poor decision to rehire Woodward for another 4

Should have been a year to year or a two year contract at best . He really has had a decent shot at turning this progrm around, but it is the same old thing offensively live by the three and die by the three. over and over again,

One of Websters defintions of insanity should be doing the same thing over and over again that does not work and expect to get better results. that is the defintion of "Basketball Insanity".

The only real strength the current Coaching Staff has is that they can recruit, the problem is when they get the recuits here they do not improve as much as they should r they playbthem out of position. Maine had enough talent and experience this year to finish at least in the middle 4-5-6 spots and get at least to the semi-finals.

When Stonybrook, Albany and Binghamton who were D2 programs 7 years or so ago and they have all moved ahead of Maine during those/these yeaars there is something very wrong with he UMaine program.

Now that the head coach is locked into 3 more safe years he will have recruited, Socoby, Cook, McNally, Barnies, Bernal,Peay, Owes and others and he will have had them for 4 years when his contract is up and when you can only imriove from 7-23 to 9-21 with a number of starters coming back the problem is the offensive philosphy of relying on the 3 and no inside outside game whatsoever.

Nothing will change and we all will be driven to Basketball Insanity as the Maine Men's basketball Team who should finish in the middle next year 4-5-6 and at least get to the conference semi-finals, but with no major changes in getting players to the right positions, recruiting a big man, and using him correctly going inside, outside and still relying on the 3 for 33% of their offense Maine will oprobaly go 11-19 with another 2 win improvement and maybe they won't lose in the 8-9 playin game.
bcbc55

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:40 pm

bcbc, i've heard your argument about socoby and mcnally a bagillion times and i have finally decided that i disagree with you a bit. socoby isn't a shooting guard, he's a small forward (i guess) in maine's offense. he shouldn't be jump shooting like he is, he should be moving off the ball and creating with the ball, a "point forward" if you will. he is a good passer and i think he should use his pump fake more effectively and move with the ball.

i wholly disagree that mcnally isn't big enough to play inside. he is. he rebounds better than all but a handful of guys in the league, and his back to the basket game got a good shot almost every time he got the ball. what i think he would benefit from, and i think you've stated this, is being able to play four and get a mix of jumpers and back to the basket play.

so i guess what i'm saying is that you're right, but only partly right?
over under on justin edwards dunks this year: 1.5 per game
UMaineSuperfan

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:04 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:bcbc, i've heard your argument about socoby and mcnally a bagillion times and i have finally decided that i disagree with you a bit. socoby isn't a shooting guard, he's a small forward (i guess) in maine's offense. he shouldn't be jump shooting like he is, he should be moving off the ball and creating with the ball, a "point forward" if you will. he is a good passer and i think he should use his pump fake more effectively and move with the ball.

i wholly disagree that mcnally isn't big enough to play inside. he is. he rebounds better than all but a handful of guys in the league, and his back to the basket game got a good shot almost every time he got the ball. what i think he would benefit from, and i think you've stated this, is being able to play four and get a mix of jumpers and back to the basket play.

so i guess what i'm saying is that you're right, but only partly right?

UMaineSuperFan: McNally only averaged 7.8 field goal attempts this year and only 3.2 foul shiot attempts and problably not more that 3 a game in the paint and some of those may have been put backs on offensive boards.

Andre was a much bigger tagret in the low post last year and he averaged about 7 field goal attempts per game and if the perimeter people didn't see Andre at 6'9" 300 lbs how are they going to see a 6'7" 250 pounder. They certainly didn't this year.

McNally's problem also is he canot guard 6'10" post players he is just over matched size why and ill be constantly in foul trouble.

Last year when I had a poll on whether they shouild move Socoby to point it was overwhelming in favor of such a move. So it wasn't just me that felt that way.
bcbc55

Postby The Aztec Tomb » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Did Mark play a lot of point on AAU teams? If my memory serves me correctly, he never played point on his High School teams. I'm not saying that he shouldn't play the point or that he wouldn't succeed in that role, just not sure how much previous experience he has had.
The Aztec Tomb

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics