Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby idroptreys23 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:23 pm

The Aztec Tomb wrote:Did Mark play a lot of point on AAU teams? If my memory serves me correctly, he never played point on his High School teams.


He played point for Houlton when they won a title when he was a sophomore, but he basically played all five positions on that team.
idroptreys23
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 pm

idroptreys23 wrote:
The Aztec Tomb wrote:Did Mark play a lot of point on AAU teams? If my memory serves me correctly, he never played point on his High School teams.


He played point for Houlton when they won a title when he was a sophomore, but he basically played all five positions on that team.



idroptreys23: And that was the last year that he played point guard.

His junior year at Bangor he played forward, did not play as a senior at Bangor because of his knee injury and then has not played point guard in his three seasons at UMaine.

I saw and officiated games when he played point guard for mbr2's MBR 16 and 17 teams and that was the position that he looked the most comfortable playing and was the most effective..

He should have gone to prep school, to get his point guard skills back or at least redshirted to make sure his knee had healed properly and he could have got his point guard skills back red shirting.

In my opinion having him play shooting guard the past three seasons at UMaine has not had him in the position he was the most effective at. In fairness to Mark he has lead the team in scoring as a shooting guard, but that is not his position as he is not a pure shooter he is a scorer.

Too me he has never looked comfortable at shooting guard. He is the type of player that if at point guard he will make his teammates better as he is an excellent skilled player at getting the ball to the open man off dribble penetration.

He is a passer first and a shooter second, but he has done what was asked for him and that is all you can ask from a player.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby The Aztec Tomb » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:10 am

I am 100% certain that Mark did not play the point for Houlton. Brett Miles was the point guard for Houlton both years Mark was there. Now he helped bring the ball up against the press and may have filled in for Brett a couple of times during the season, but that was it. He did so much for that team they didn't need him to bring the ball up as well, and Brett was more than capable and effective at the point.

I got to get back the sixth overtime.
User avatar
The Aztec Tomb
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:09 am
Location: Winthrop, ME

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:21 am

The Aztec Tomb wrote:I am 100% certain that Mark did not play the point for Houlton. Brett Miles was the point guard for Houlton both years Mark was there. Now he helped bring the ball up against the press and may have filled in for Brett a couple of times during the season, but that was it. He did so much for that team they didn't need him to bring the ball up as well, and Brett was more than capable and effective at the point.

I got to get back the sixth overtime.


THE AZTEC TOMB: THEN IF THAT IS TRUE IT IS EVEN MORE IMPRESSIVE THAT HE SHOUILD HAVE BEEN A POINT GUARD. He sure looked like he had point guard skills the year he played at Bangor and in AAU Ball for MBR2's 16's and 17's.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby The Aztec Tomb » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:20 am

Bcbc, he definitely had the skills to play point and I agree that at the D1 level the point is the right role for Mark. He is a true floor general with superior passing skills and court vision.

Had he stayed at Houlton, the plan was for him to move to the point his junior year. Partially becaucse it was understood back then that at the next level this would be the most obvious roll for him. Saddly he moved to Bangor instead.
User avatar
The Aztec Tomb
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:09 am
Location: Winthrop, ME

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:16 am

The Aztec Tomb wrote:Bcbc, he definitely had the skills to play point and I agree that at the D1 level the point is the right role for Mark. He is a true floor general with superior passing skills and court vision.

Had he stayed at Houlton, the plan was for him to move to the point his junior year. Partially becaucse it was understood back then that at the next level this would be the most obvious roll for him. Saddly he moved to Bangor instead.


The Aztec Tomb: "Saddly he moved to Bangor instead".

Yes that was a tough move for everyone involved as Mark never got to play point at Bangor his Junior year and they got uset by Hamoden in the quarter-finals and if he had played point that yeat I think bangir woulkd have won it all again.

His senior year I was officiatng that game when he tore his ACL and it was af luke injury as there was no contact he just happened to turn and pivot the wrong way.

I think he wold have been mch better to go to prep school to regainhis point guard skills instead of going directly to Maine and not redshirting and never getting to play point guard at UMaine.

All I kow if he played for me at Bangor and at UMaine he would have been my point guard as he had the ability to make his tmmates better, great passer with the abilty to get the balloto the open man at the right time, saw th court ver well, a leadr and great floor genral who made good basketball decision, plus he was 6'6"point guard who could look over presser defenses.

Bangor and UMaine both missed the boat on Mark by not playing him at point gurard.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby mainebbfanjs » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:34 pm

UMaineSuperfan wrote:i wholly disagree that mcnally isn't big enough to play inside. he is. he rebounds better than all but a handful of guys in the league, and his back to the basket game got a good shot almost every time he got the ball. what i think he would benefit from, and i think you've stated this, is being able to play four and get a mix of jumpers and back to the basket play.

so i guess what i'm saying is that you're right, but only partly right?


McNally can play with this back to the basket and does so effectively.....WHEN HE GETS THE BALL. He has a nice drop step and baby hook. HOWEVER HE DOES NOT GET THE BALL ENOUGH......

Reading the Bangor Daily after each game, what do the opposing coaches say, McNally worries them inside.........

One thing that Woodward needs to work on with his guards is getting the ball inside. If they don't get it inside, then sit them down.

No big man will EVER want to come there again with the game plan they have today. We lost one, hope we don't lose another one.
mainebbfanjs
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:52 pm

mainebbfanjs wrote:
UMaineSuperfan wrote:i wholly disagree that mcnally isn't big enough to play inside. he is. he rebounds better than all but a handful of guys in the league, and his back to the basket game got a good shot almost every time he got the ball. what i think he would benefit from, and i think you've stated this, is being able to play four and get a mix of jumpers and back to the basket play.

so i guess what i'm saying is that you're right, but only partly right?


McNally can play with this back to the basket and does so effectively.....WHEN HE GETS THE BALL. He has a nice drop step and baby hook. HOWEVER HE DOES NOT GET THE BALL ENOUGH......

Reading the Bangor Daily after each game, what do the opposing coaches say, McNally worries them inside.........

One thing that Woodward needs to work on with his guards is getting the ball inside. If they don't get it inside, then sit them down.

No big man will EVER want to come there again with the game plan they have today. We lost one, hope we don't lose another one.


mainebbfan:

You have got to realize that Maine played there last 17 games against conference opponents and there was noit a real great post man McNally had to go against, how well did he do against the non conference games that they went 5-16 against. There is a big difference, Besides they didn't get him the ball even in the cnmference games as he only averaged 7.8 field goal attempts perr game for 30 games.
fROM BANOR DAILY NEWS:
1. No need for them to worry if they scouted Maine regularly it is an accident if the post man ever gets the ball down on the block.

2. HAVE A RULE IF THE POST DOESN''T TOUCH THE BALL BEFORE THEY SHOOT IT IN THE HALF VOURT UNLESS IT IS A POWER LAYUP. THEN SIT THE SHOOTER DOWN ONM THE NEXT DEAD BALL SUBSTITUTION.

3. yOU ARE CORRECT AND THAT IS WHY POROBABLY THE MAINE cOACHING sTAFF CAN'T GET A GOOD MAN TO COME TO UMaine.

Maine took 36.7 % of their field goal attempts from 3 point land and shot just 33.3% of there threes.

Let's take alook at all the other America East Teams and the percentages of 3's they took from 3 point land in their total field goal attempts.

Team Pct. Of 3's......Final AE 3 pt Sht
.......... FGA ........... Position....%....
UMBC......19.6%............7........31.9%
Albany.....25.6%............6........32.6%
Vt..........28.7%............2........36.9%
BU.........28.8%............3.........33.3%
Stnybrk...30.2%............4.........35.0%
Bingham..32.6%............1.........33.3%
UNH.......32.8%............5.........32.4%
UMaine....35.9%...........8.........33.3%
Hartford...47.0%...........9.........31.0%

Look who finished 8th and 9th the two teams that shot the highest percentage of their field goal attempts wherer 3 point shot attempts.


The four teams that made the finals were:
(1) Binghamton 32.6%
(5) UNH..........32.8%
(7) Albany........25.6%
(6) UMBC.........19.6%

Finals:
(1) Binghamton 32.6%
(6) UMBC.........19.6%
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby idroptreys23 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:16 pm

bcbc55 wrote:

The four teams that made the finals were:
(1) Binghamton 32.6%
(5) UNH..........32.8%
(7) Albany........25.6%
(6) UMBC.........19.6%

Finals:
(1) Binghamton 32.6%
(6) UMBC.........19.6%


Coach, aren't these statistics simply showing that you can have 30% or more of your offense be 3-Point field goal attempts and still be successful? Seems completely contradictory of what you're trying to prove, the conference champion had very similar numbers to what Maine shot...

Bingham..32.6%............1.........33.3%
UMaine....35.9%...........8.........33.3%
idroptreys23
 
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Maine Mens Basketball Teams Final Team Stats

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:22 pm

idroptreys23 wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:

The four teams that made the finals were:
(1) Binghamton 32.6%
(5) UNH..........32.8%
(7) Albany........25.6%
(6) UMBC.........19.6%

Finals:
(1) Binghamton 32.6%
(6) UMBC.........19.6%


Coach, aren't these statistics simply showing that you can have 30% or more of your offense be 3-Point field goal attempts and still be successful? Seems completely contradictory of what you're trying to prove, the conference champion had very similar numbers to what Maine shot...

Bingham..32.6%............1.........33.3%
UMaine....35.9%...........8.........33.3%


Idroptreya: It is the quality of those threes that make a difference and Bnghamton went inside/outside more than Maine did. If you think I am contracdicting myself that is fine with me all I am saying is that the more you live by the three, the more chances are you will die by the threes.

Maine also shot 44 more three attempts then Binghamton did and you have to take into consideration those stats are based on all games not just conference games, so to get the real idea of the theory you would have to have just the conference stats on 3's to compare all the teams in America East
bcbc55
 
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 5:44 am

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcbc55, Google Adsense [Bot] and 87 guests