Swim Team UMaine

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Swim Team UMaine

Postby Waterboy61 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:51 am

Is there anyone out there that cares to comment on the status of Maine swim? Looking at the results from the conference there wasn't one swimmer or diver that made it into the top part of the finals. Each team came in last in the conference. I know swim team was on the chopping block but it was saved by Stephen and Tabitha King along with other concerned parents at the time. Is this program so under funded they can't compete? Does it have anything to do with the new leadership since Jeff Wren has stepped down?
Waterboy61

Re: Swim Team UMaine

Postby mainejeff » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:11 pm

Waterboy61 wrote:Is there anyone out there that cares to comment on the status of Maine swim? Looking at the results from the conference there wasn't one swimmer or diver that made it into the top part of the finals. Each team came in last in the conference. I know swim team was on the chopping block but it was saved by Stephen and Tabitha King along with other concerned parents at the time. Is this program so under funded they can't compete? Does it have anything to do with the new leadership since Jeff Wren has stepped down?

Probably. Being competitive/winning is no longer a priority under the Blake James regime.
mainejeff

Re: Swim Team UMaine

Postby kgbasics » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:06 pm

Waterboy,

How much do you know about this year's roster? Was it a promising year? Isn't this just the second year of the current coach? Could he have inherited a situation where talent was low for this year? Were their any other circumstances that contributed to the results that were beyond a coach's control, particularly a coach that is new to the program? How many of these kids did he recruit?

I personally don't know these answers. But I'd ask those questions before I'd ask if the coach should be fired. You might hope your boss thinks the same way.

Blake James, Ted Woodward and Tim Whitehead have had enough time to recruit their players or personnel. The same should be true for anyone before they get the chopping block.
kgbasics

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics