UMaine Winter Sports Records in 2009

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

UMaine Winter Sports Records in 2009

Postby mainejeff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:42 pm

With their pitiful seasons winding down......here are the records of the 4 winter sports teams since January 1st:

Men's Basketball: 4-12 (25%)
Women's Basketball: 2-14 (12.5%)
Men's Ice Hockey: 2-12-2 (12.5%)
Women's Ice Hockey: 1-10-3 (7.1%)

Combined Records: 9-48-5 (15.8%)

I know that Blake James and even some of you may find this acceptable.......but I do not. This is a complete embarrassment and a complete waste of taxpayer and donor money. WHY DOESN'T THE UNIVERSITY OF MAINE ADMINISTRATION, ITS STUDENTS, ITS FACULTY OR ITS FANS DEMAND EXCELLENCE OR AT LEAST AN ATTEMPT TO RUN PROGRAMS THAT AT THE VERY LEAST....... COMPETE WITH PEER INSTITUTIONS IN THEIR OWN LEAGUES!
mainejeff

Re: UMaine Winter Sports Records in 2009

Postby aechamps » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:33 pm

I want to hear from all the posters that said they liked how the men's basketball team was playing. I also want to hear how Ted needs a few more years to prove himself. Do you call this improvement over last year? It's been five years, how many more years are we going to do the same old thing over and over again. Consectitive play in games. Look at improvement, look at Stony Brook and Unh for example. The sad thing is Blake James thinks thier improving. What's sadder is Ted's coming back for more.
aechamps

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:37 pm

i have stated many times that i liked the way the basketball team WAS playing and CAN play in spurts. i have also stated that they are a better team than last year despite the record, which anyone who has stepped into the gym can see (i've missed ONE home game). i am also willing to bite the bullet and recognize that they played five good games in a row and have fallen off precipitously since the Albany/UNH/BU/Vermont stretch earlier in the year.

never said ted needs more time however (probably an indictment of another poster but i'll address it anyway). i think that he's gotten the team about as far as he can get them, which sadly isn't very far. i was optimistic earlier in the year by the way we played at the start of conference play (3-3), but since have realized that t-woods perhaps isn't cut out for the job as head ball coach.

i hope that he and the team get their act together and at least win the play in game, because they can play with binghamton on a good day.

to conclude, i have always prided myself on not being a homer when it comes to my favorite teams, and always try to be objective, so i hope you believe me when i say that i understand your frustration, especially those of you who have watched men's basketball at the University since the Gianninni days, (i have only seen the last two years because i'm only a sophomore). i guess i'm just a naive optimist, but i also think that anyone with a pair of eyes sees this team has improved relative to last year and has the talent to compete in this league despite what some say.
over under on justin edwards dunks this year: 1.5 per game
UMaineSuperfan

Postby fafan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:30 am

Ok MJ, let's say the hockey program was to look at another coach. Who is out there that could get the program back to where it was. Montgomery, Pellerin????
fafan

Postby radar1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:30 am

The problem isn't just with the winter sports it is with all sports with the exception of the football team.... The problem starts with Blake James and he should hold winning at a higher priority then he obviously does...Then maybe the coaches will feel some urgency to produce..... My thoughts: Ted Woodward...Fire him..... Cindy...One more year to see if her recruits can play..... Tim Whitehead .....Done...fire him as he has turned a national championship contending team into a team that is just happy to make the Hockey East playoffs..... That is what I would do...But I don't get paid to make those decisions
radar1

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:39 am

don't be so quick to just give the football team a free pass. they had a good year, which i was ecstatic about, but i'm pretty sure there was some flack for cozzy after they finished like three and eight a couple years ago. they had a very good year, i just hope that mj and others keep the pressure on the program to stay competitive. god knows they need it from somewhere.

i think blodgett's recruits are looking like they can play a bit by all estimations. hopefully burns can be a legit pg because baker turns the ball over like its her day job. that team, much like the men's, needs a pure shooter or two (KEEGAN HYLAND PLEASE). listening to the girls game yesterday on the way to the guys game and all i heard when bu shot was "and thats good". other girls teams have players who can put it in the basket. period. i give blodgett two more years then reevaluate. The freshmen class is her first class. I've never been a huge fan of giving a coach four full years to get "their players" into the system. if you can't coach up the players of an old coach than maybe you can't cut it. give blodgett three years to recruit her players and we'll see. so far the freshmen look like they can play and by all accounts the four coming out of high school can score a bit as well.
over under on justin edwards dunks this year: 1.5 per game
UMaineSuperfan

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:16 pm

fafan wrote:Ok MJ, let's say the hockey program was to look at another coach. Who is out there that could get the program back to where it was. Montgomery, Pellerin????

I don't follow EVERY D-1 hockey program.......but I bet that there are some top assistants and maybe even a head coach or 2 that are qualified AND interested. I'd start by looking at Jeff Jackson's staff at Notre Dame!
Last edited by mainejeff on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:18 pm

radar1 wrote:The problem isn't just with the winter sports it is with all sports with the exception of the football team.... The problem starts with Blake James and he should hold winning at a higher priority then he obviously does...Then maybe the coaches will feel some urgency to produce..... My thoughts: Ted Woodward...Fire him..... Cindy...One more year to see if her recruits can play..... Tim Whitehead .....Done...fire him as he has turned a national championship contending team into a team that is just happy to make the Hockey East playoffs..... That is what I would do...But I don't get paid to make those decisions

I agree about Whitehead and Woodward. There time is up. wish that Woodward could be retained as an assistant.......but that ain't gonna happen. I think that you need to give Blodgett 2 more years......but I would have expectations for improvement next season.
mainejeff

Postby fafan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:43 am

mainejeff wrote:
fafan wrote:Ok MJ, let's say the hockey program was to look at another coach. Who is out there that could get the program back to where it was. Montgomery, Pellerin????

I don't follow EVERY D-1 hockey program.......but I bet that there are some top assistants and maybe even a head coach or 2 that are qualified AND interested. I'd start by looking at Jeff Jackson's staff at Notre Dame!

I thought you traveled the USCHO board where I'm sure "they" know who is available as they have been advocating to get fire "timmay" for years. My point is that to remove Whitehead without an idea of who might be available may very well keep us right where we are now.
Next year we have 24 frosh and sophs returning, assuming Nyquist doesn't jump ship and with the right leader at the helm that might prevent another 10% loss in season ticket holders. An X UMaine player with coaching experience is where I would focus my attention. Most players during the Walsh years bleed Blue and White. They would be so determined to right this ship that could only help do better than where we are. The two players who come to mind that are coaching are Jim Montgmery, who would get my vote and Scott Pellerin.
fafan

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:12 am

fafan wrote: My point is that to remove Whitehead without an idea of who might be available may very well keep us right where we are now.
So, logic would suggest that even if you "replace" the current head coach, worst case scenario is the same as this year ? Obviously not the goal of making the move, but if that is the "worst case" scenario, what do you really have to lose ? (and yes, I understand "logic" is usually irrelevant in regards to athletics at our so-call "institution of higher learning" ?)
fafan wrote: The two players who come to mind that are coaching are Jim Montgmery, who would get my vote and Scott Pellerin.
WHY NOT !!! See Above "logic". And P.S., I say bring in BOTH Monty and Scotty ! If nothing else, it'd make for a catchy talk-radio show, ... i.e., the "Monty and Scotty Hockey Chat", and some serious Blue and White Pride ala Coach Walsh !
TAL1957

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics