Maine Men vs. Vermont

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Maine Men vs. Vermont

Postby idroptreys23 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Holy mother of missed layups. All I really care to say is that Vermont is a pretty average team without Blakely on the floor, but he's really on another level athletically than most of America East. Put this game away in the second half after being saddled with two early fouls in the first.

McNally played a strong game underneath but probably should have had 35. Barnies couldn't finish all day. Socoby was short on everything. McLemore fouled out. They can compete if they find a way to get everything and everyone on the same page for 40 minutes.
idroptreys23

Re: Maine Men vs. Vermont

Postby TakeChargeAnywhere » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:19 pm

I must have been at a different game.

4 guys played well.......McNally w/a career high 24 and 5 blocks along w/8 rebounds, Barnies had 21 and has great athleticism, KO w/a very good first half and Bernal w/a solid floor game. They lost the game on the boards. They got NO loose balls as they looked to have tired legs in 2nd half. The one thing I agree w/is that Blakely is a BEAST.
TakeChargeAnywhere

Postby idroptreys23 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:09 pm

TakeChargeAnywhere wrote:I must have been at a different game.

4 guys played well.......McNally w/a career high 24 and 5 blocks along w/8 rebounds, Barnies had 21 and has great athleticism, KO w/a very good first half and Bernal w/a solid floor game. They lost the game on the boards. They got NO loose balls as they looked to have tired legs in 2nd half. The one thing I agree w/is that Blakely is a BEAST.

Barnies is athletic, but he doesn't really use it. He shot faked on every single shot attempt and failed to take it strong to the hoop. I suspect he is over thinking the game, he literally threw a shot fake and power dribble when wide open under the hoop and then missed the ensuing lay up. The only play he had that showed any kind of athleticism was the last play of the game where he actually drove and elevated over the defense. Blakely is a great athlete, Barnies is probably average or slightly above for DI. I am impressed with his ability to stretch the defense shooting the three however.

Sean played a nice game, looking at the box score they obviously don't count shot attempts during a shooting foul or tip in attempts, but there was a slew of missed put backs and lay ups around the basket from both teams. He's got broad enough shoulders and body control to finish an And 1 through some of those ticky tack fouls he was getting from 32.

Junior didn't do anything until they were down 18 with two minutes to go. I like his ability to penetrate and finish, but he has to be able to do that all the time, not just when Vermont has packed it in.

KO's shot selection was a little suspect in my opinion, but he played well in the first half.
idroptreys23

Postby TakeChargeAnywhere » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:38 pm

Its obvious to most if they had a "true" 5 and both Sean (to 4) and Troy (to 3) could move to their ultimate positions the team would be much more accomplished. Everyone could slide down a peg. But, IMO both of those guys played well today. They were close at the half versus the # 1 team in AE. Should they have won ? Id simply say that Vermont is a better "team" right now.
I see some selfishness on the UMaine team. How does a coach deal with that ?
TakeChargeAnywhere

Postby mainejeff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:14 pm

TakeChargeAnywhere wrote:Id simply say that Vermont is a better "team" right now.

Even without their senior starting PG and their star on the bench for half the game.
mainejeff

Postby idroptreys23 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:28 am

mainejeff wrote:
TakeChargeAnywhere wrote:Id simply say that Vermont is a better "team" right now.

Even without their senior starting PG and their star on the bench for half the game.

Aye, without Blakely on the floor Vermont really looks pretty average. If you can get him in foul trouble they're ripe for an upset. However, they're about 17 points better than Maine when he is on the floor.

And Take, I agree that a true center will be a blessing for this team if he ever comes.
idroptreys23

Postby allsportsfan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:06 pm

mainejeff wrote:[

Blakely played 29 minutes which is 3/4 of the game. Most anyone played for Vermont was 31 minutes.
allsportsfan

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics