UMAINE Baseball @ Dela-where ?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMAINE Baseball @ Dela-where ?

Postby TAL1957 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:41 am

FYI - Game today - Sunday, was just "postponed"; don't think they'll be able to play it tomorrow given severe winter weather advisory for Philly/Dover area through mid-day Monday !

So, it's on to FLA, and I'll be listening via radio for next week just like most everyone else.
TAL1957

Postby mainejeff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Sounds like the "veteran" coaching staff ain't so "veteran"...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Do we need to put them on the "watch list" as well?........ :roll:
mainejeff

Postby dbarr26 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:22 am

Considering Maine's weak schedule (RPI) and significant talent pool this year they should improve considerably from their last place conference finish in 08. Maine has significantly greater resources than other conference teams including scholarships #s and better facilities. The new field clearly removes any excuse for Maine not to compete at least in their Conference.
In my opinion player development has been the greatest challenge for this coaching staff since their arrival. It's one thing to bring in talented high school kids but much more challenging to develop them into competitive Division I players. I hope Coach will allow a healthy inner-squad competition for playing time and not lock in his line-up as in previous years. Coach Kosty used this strategy to push players to work as hard as possible. No position was completly secure!
By any measurement Coach Trimper is an excellent recruiter and this fact alone should turn the program around. One can only hope the young assistant coaches will develop soon enough to make the difference. Will be watching with great anticipation.
Go Black Bears!
dbarr26

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:56 am

mainejeff wrote:Sounds like the "veteran" coaching staff ain't so "veteran"...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Who ever used the term "veteran" to refer to the "staff" ? Trimper perhaps (via Manhattan tenure and success), but the other "puppies" ???
TAL1957

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:52 am

Welcome to the Discussions dbarr !!
dbarr26 wrote:Considering Maine's weak schedule (RPI) and significant talent pool this year they should improve considerably from their last place conference finish in 08.
And in That, We ALL Agree !!
dbarr26 wrote:Maine has significantly greater resources than other conference teams including scholarships #s and better facilities. The new field clearly removes any excuse for Maine not to compete at least in their Conference.
Not so sure about that dbarr, at least as far as "significantly greater", and really don't know that a better field somehow makes you more competitive (and better not forget how to play ground balls on real grass !) ? However, all the pieces combined right now would hopefully equate to better success, but you do have to play the other 6 teams who probably feel differently and do have talent comparable to Maine, if not the depth.
dbarr26 wrote:In my opinion player development has been the greatest challenge for this coaching staff since their arrival. It's one thing to bring in talented high school kids but much more challenging to develop them into competitive Division I players.
No more wiser words have EVER been posted here dbarr !!! Unfortunately, there is very little to suggest that the current Assistants have a CLUE about how to do this. Who is the accomplished Hitting Coach with demonstrated credentials and experience, and in whom the players have confidence in to advise them and "suggest" adjustments ? Ditto on a Pitching Coach ? Trimper can not, and should not, be expected to fill these roles in addition to being the Head Coach, but .........???????
dbarr26 wrote:I hope Coach will allow a healthy inner-squad competition for playing time and not lock in his line-up as in previous years. Coach Kosty used this strategy to push players to work as hard as possible. No position was completly secure!
Probably disagree with you here a bit dbarr, as at some point you either have a starting lineup or you don't !? This constant juggling has never proven to be a recipe/strategy for success in baseball. Test the kids during fall ball, pre-season work outs and inter-squad, and the first couple weeks of the season perhaps, but MAKE a decision on what your starting line-up is soon, and let them REALLY play together as a group and hopefully a team ! 10,12,15 kids who don't know who is starting when or where from game to game is NOT conducive to a solid core team of ballplayers. UNLV played the same 9 guys in the line-up all four of their first games !, other than one game off for their catcher and two DHs. THAT is D1 Baseball.
dbarr26 wrote:By any measurement Coach Trimper is an excellent recruiter and this fact alone should turn the program around. One can only hope the young assistant coaches will develop soon enough to make the difference. Will be watching with great anticipation.
Go Black Bears!
Trimper IS an EXCELLENT recruiter, but that fact alone will NEVER turn a program around ! As you noted, you then need to develop those recruits into D1 caliber athletes and players (and very few of the top recruits to the program really are, coming in, other than the transfers/JUCOs). And, in UMaine's case, the should be developing these top recruits/prospects into TOP D1 players who realize their full potential (and don't blow out their elbows and arms on a regular basis !>). UMaine simply does NOT have access, in-house, to the level of coaching expertise that degree of player development requires, the current assistants are NOt going to "develop" into that just by hanging on with the program and calling that "experience", and the program makes no attempt to find the experise externally. This IS the MAJOR weakness of the UMaine program, and I wouldn't even post it up here for all to read (i.e., incoming and potential recruits) if I wasn't absolutely convinced now that there is nothing to lose by acknowledging it and appropriate changes are needed ASAP/Immediately !!

IMHO ??
TAL1957

Postby radar1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:21 am

the best coaching staff in the state is at USM
radar1

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:05 am

radar1 wrote:the best coaching staff in the state is at USM
Overall - Agreed ! Kevin Smith still the pitching coach at USM ? (a TRUE pitching coach !).
TAL1957

Postby throwinheat5 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:52 am

T,
he is still at USM and still an amazing baseball mind. The thing about SMitty is that he is always learning new "stuff" to get his guys he wants them. He brings new drills and ideas to the world of pitching like you wouldnt believe.
Last edited by throwinheat5 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
throwinheat5

Postby dbarr26 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks for the welcome TAL1957. Just to clarify an earlier point when I mentioned the new field it was as a recruiting tool primarily. Performance wise it will allow the team to to get outside earlier and during the season rainouts will not be as much of a problem as the new drainage will allow play quickly. In the past we had to sometimes play at Mansfield or Husson due to poor field conditions.

Again to clarify and earlier point regarding lineup I was referring to a situation where a player often becomes better when pushed. The push comes from coaches but also from teammates competing for playing time. At this level often the difference between the kid sitting on the bench and the kid in the lineup everyday is opportunity. I have seen this played out again and again with the baseball program over the past 5 years.

I agree with your analysis overall and I cetainly appreciate your directness. Hopefully this team will mature quickly and get back to the Reginals!
Go Bears!
dbarr26

Postby mainejeff » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:33 pm

Anyone know if Vermont's Matt Duffy is transferring to Maine? He didn't play in the Vanderbilt series.
mainejeff

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics