UMAINE Baseball @ Dela-where ?

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMAINE Baseball @ Dela-where ?

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:02 pm

So, while Maine came out of Vegas with only one win, they showed a lot of very positive indicators that they can give pretty much any team on their schedule a tough game, .... or four !
In three days they head south, stopping over at Delaware St. for a Sat.(2)-Sun. series Feb. 28/March 1, before heading to Florida on March 2 for 10-11 games over 13 days.

Carrying over mine and fanodbears summaries from the UNLV series, what will UMaine be bringing to the Delaware, and then Florida, Dinner Table ?
A - A starting rotation with at least 3 very solid starters (Miller, Scanlan and Jebb) and at least two more "new" guys, both of whom threw very well (or better) in Vegas (Balentina and Bilodeau). Get more first-pitch strikes and fewer walks/HBPs, and these guys can absolutely shut down an opponent's scoring opportunities !
B - Middle relief and closers (or the lack thereof) are probably the biggest question marks right now. However, depending on how the starters perform, there certainly are 3-4 guys waiting in the wings that could be all the solution we need for 2-3 innings of relief.
C - A pretty good to very good looking defense. They will of course have the occassional error or even wildly botched play, but they also have the ability to recover from that and limit the damage. In addition, they have shown a somewhat surprisingly good ability to turn the DP and thereby grab the momentum of an inning and potentially the game.
D - The numbers suggest they are hitting the ball well (Team BA .302, with 40 hits to UNLV's 39); However, watching the game and looking at the numbers a little closer suggests there is a LOT of room for improvement ! 40 hits ? Sure, but only 45 TB ! That's 36 singles, and only 3 doubles, 1 triple and ZERO home runs (UNLV had 14, 3, & 2 !!). ... And, of the 36 singles, 2 were clearly errors that the UNLV scorer did not want to burden their players with (guess they don't care about their pitchers ?), and 8-10 more were infield hits or goofy choppers over the 3b or 1B. In reality, in 130+ at bats, the guys had maybe 25 "good" hits (i.e., ~ .200 !) ? They obviously need to settle into their swings and start hitting the ball better !, and I believe they will by the time of the Ohio St. game (end of first week in FL).
E - Fix the small stuff and mental errors, smarter base running, and play much better small ball and otherwise advance no-out and 1-out runners, and this team will be competitive in every game, and WIN MOST OF THEM !
TAL1957

Re: UMAINE Baseball @ Dela-where ?

Postby chbazdanes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:26 pm

hopefully we can be 4-3 this time next week. del st swept some d2 school and lit up the scorebaord runs wise. However, I don't think they'll fare the same with Maine's defense and starting pitching stacked up the way it is. I'd love to see Stilphen DH all 3 games Myyckie at first and keep thier opening day infield and outfield starters the same with exception of mARTIN GETTING IN 1 GAME so they can get in the groove but that;s just my humble opinon which isnt even worth a COLONEL FROM A SUNFLOWER SEED

OH AND WAIT WE'RE RIPPING THE COVER OFF THE BALL !!!

4-3 next Wednesday here we come......:) Or whatever it is that they go to FL

Good luck gentleman
chbazdanes

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:36 am

bazdanes, i hate to be that guy, but your transgression in your last post forced me to do so.
kernel not colonel. end of story. is your brothers name arthur bazdanes? i figured there aren't too many bazdanes' running around campus and his name is aj on the team website....
over under on justin edwards dunks this year: 1.5 per game
UMaineSuperfan

Postby Fanodbears » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Good news is the Black Bears RPI after the season opener is 241...Where do we go from there?http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2009/rpi

This should be the start of a good 10-15 game run for the Bears
Fanodbears

Postby chbazdanes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:19 am

TAL/FanoD

Did you guys see they tied Navy on Wednesday to a 5-5 tie in 10 innings that got called due to darkness. Should we have competition this weekend?
chbazdanes

Postby TAL1957 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:08 am

More like Dela-Brrrrrr ! Well, it's overcast, windy and cold in Dover, Del. this morning; 39 degrees this morning and should get all the way up to maybe 45 ! (with a wind chill in the teens !).

Looks like the wind is blowing 15-20 mph out to right-center right now, with occassional 30 mph gusts ! Gonna be some "interesting" baseball played today at Del. St., but at least there's no snow (yet) and the field is nicely dried by the wind. Forecast is for showers later today and rain overnight and tomorrow, so let's just hope they can get 2 games in today as that might be it ! Guess there is an option to play on Monday before the UMaine boyz fly out later in the evening to FLA.

Glad I brought my felt pacs, wool socks, two jackets, ear muffs and gloves, but the ice shack would have been nice as well !!!

I will of course provide a run down of the games later today/tonight for those who don't listen in or want additional thoughts on how our Bears in Blue look today.

Play Ball !!!!!!!!!!
TAL1957

Postby Fanodbears » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:28 pm

How bout we change it Dela-Beating as the Black Bears fall to the lowly Delaware State Hornets 8-6. Del State was one of the worst teams in D1 baseball last season but were off to a great 4-0 start vs D2 opponents. I know thay don't fire coaches at Maine, and I don't want anyone to think I'm calling for heads to roll but our staff should start to take a look over their shoulders cause something is missing. With the ranked recruiting classes the Bears have had and all the pre and post season accolades, one has to wonder what it is.

Things going on at times just don't make sense but what do I know, I'm just a fan and I'll leave that stuff up to TAL and mainejeff...
Last edited by Fanodbears on Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanodbears

Postby Fanodbears » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:09 pm

Maine down 1-0 after 2 innings in game #2. Keith Billdou on the hill doing well.

Update: Down 2-0 after 3 innings

Update: Down 2-1 after 5. Big 6-4-3DP by Tony and danny to get out of a 1st/3rd situation

Update: Maine ties it up at 2-2 on a Homerun by Ian Leisenheimer. New pitcher for the Black Bears in the bottom of the 6th is Matt Klaczkiewicz

Update: Much better, Maine up 5-2 on a bunch of hits started again by Tony and Danny. Myckie is 4/8 on the day. Should be game over in 3 outs. Klack still on the mound.
Last edited by Fanodbears on Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fanodbears

Postby mainejeff » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Fanodbears wrote:How bout we change it Dela-Beating as the Black Bears fall to the lowly Delaware State Hornets 8-6. Del State was one of the worst teams in D1 baseball last season but were off to a great 4-0 start vs D2 opponents. I know thay don't fire coaches at Maine, but our staff should start to take a look over their shoulders. With the ranked recruiting classes the Bears have had and all the pre and post season accolades, one has to wonder.

Things going on at times just don't make sense but what do I know, I'm just a fan and I'll leave that stuff up to TAL and mainejeff...

I don't have much to say since it doesn't really matter what us fans have to say. In a normal situation, it would be time for this coaching staff (team) to start producing.......but at UMaine, the good, the bad, and the ugly are all in the same boat. Has there ever been a place where job security is such a given?.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Very disappointing performance by Miller. I'm not sold on him as the "#1 starter".
mainejeff

Postby TAL1957 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:23 am

Let's see if I can keep this brief for a change !?
A - 32 degrees and freezing rain in Dover at 7:30; a frozen crust on the ground and cars, and not looking like anybody will be playing any baseball today in the mid-Atlantic region ! Tomorrow don't look any better, and actually worse.
B - Game 1 yesterday ? Pretty frustrating when you come out hitting the ball like we did in the first inning, when even the fly ball outs were hard shots to the outfield, and then put up zeros for the next 5 innings !? Guess that's what swinging for the fences instead of the base hit and advancing the runner will get you.
Course you throw nothing but a steady diet of off-speed sliders and change-ups to a team like Del. St., forget you've got a kid who throws low-90s !!?? (LOSE the guy calling the pitches from the dugout, ....PLEEEEZZZE !!!), and follow-up an infield hit with two hit batters to load the bases with no outs, and ......only bad things can happen (and did). Interesting finish to Miller's outing though, .... He apparrently says to H-!! with this off-speed pitch calling from the dugout (YEAAAAA !!!) and blows three, low-90s fastballs, right by the last guy he faced. Hold That Thought Joe !!!
C - Game 2 ? At least they let Bilodeau pitch more to his strengths rather than some goof-ball "nothing but off-speed stuff cuz I read a book once" strategy !! And in this game as well as the first, UMaine got an absolute schooling in small-ball but probably wasn't even paying attention !? Sure hope this helter-skelter approach to the line-up, DH, 1B and OF gets put on a shelf somewhere PDQ, however that works out for the individual players ! Tager is certainly the real deal (as a recruited JUCO transfer should be !), but there sure are some guys getting repeated starts who are producing ZIP.
Bright spot ? At least UMaine came back to win (as they did in one of the games last year), and who the heck is this Klackiewicz kid ? From first-game goat (SHAME on the coaching staff for that one !), to two-game relief winner ! If nothing else, this true Frosh has certainly seen the worst of times and the best of times, and is already a seasoned veteran after only three appearances ! Guess if it don't kill ya (first outing), it only makes you stronger. Huge Congrats to MATT KLACK !

And Yeah, for two games that IS a pretty brief rundown by my standards ! :D ;)
TAL1957

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics