uvm elevates interim wbb coach

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

uvm elevates interim wbb coach

Postby turkeyman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Vermont has chosen Alisa Kresge to be head coach of women’s basketball. Last summer, she was named interim coach after Chris Day resigned. As interim, Kresge coached the Catamounts to a fifth-place finish in America East and to 11 wins, the best season since 2009-10.

Before becoming interim head coach, Kresge was associate head coach for two seasons. She graduated in 2007 from Marist College and began as an assistant coach there in 2009. Marist went 173-42 while she was an assistant and went to five straight NCAA Tournaments (2010-14), winning the MAAC Tournament Championship each year.

Folks I talked with on Jan. 9 at the Maine-UVM game in Burlington were already hoping Kresge would get the job. They said the team in the pre-conference season had become better than the team had been under Day. Maine beat UVM by 12 at Burlington and by 21 at Bangor. But the UVM team at Bangor was better than the UVM team at Burlington. Fortunately, so was Maine.

Day had been suspended after the 2017-18 season pending an investigation of the program. The results of the investigation were never made public, but Day resigned in the summer and then became an assistant at LaSalle. He is from Philly. Seems reasonable to conclude that he agreed to resign if the athletic department did not publicize the results of the investigation.

You read on another thread about the positive atmosphere for mens' home games at UVM. The atmosphere at women's games is the exact opposite. Only a couple of hundred people at the games the past four years or more, almost a sense among folks I talked with that they attended the games out of a feeling of obligation, not fandom.

My guess is that UVM will become a factor in America East again. While the Catamounts lost four seniors, including the Wright twins from Ontario, they have the core of a strong team coming back, led by Hannah Crymble. I look for a more guard-oriented team with the Wrights gone.

Two AE teams, UMBC and Hartford, are yet to name head coaches. Phil Stern, coach at UMBC for 18 years, was suspended early in the season and resigned after the end of the season. Kim McNeil left Hartford for East Carolina. When those two name coaches, Maine's Coach Vachon will be the third most senior head coach in America East behind Caroline McCombs at Stony Brook and Maureen Magarity at UNH.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics