Off Topic - But What If

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Off Topic - But What If

Postby Linguist » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:47 pm

As I watch college basketball during the season and throughout the tournament and I watch the top schools go along through the year I often wonder about those players who are out of the minutes rotation and are 9-10-11-12 on the depth chart. What if those players decided to go to UMaine and start instead of sit on the bench at Virginia.

You know kind of like the Andy Bedard, Nate Fox experiment. Nate Fox barely played at Boston College. Yet at Maine he was an all-conference player and banked money playing pro ball in Europe That was never his future by staying at BC.

So hypothetically let's take Marco Anthony off the UVA Cavaliers and put him in a Maine uniform.

Anthony is a 6'6" guard buried on the bench behind De'Andre Hunter and Kyle Guy for the Wahoos.

He was a 3 star recruit coming out of high school, yet in his sophomore year at UVa he averaged 5.4 minutes in 22 games played with 0 starts. He scored 1.2 points per game, half a rebound, half an assist.

Pretty paltry numbers, but he is a national champion now, but he didn't play. And let's face it he wasn't a big time highly sought after recruit, he had interest from the likes of Sam Houston State, UT San Antonio, Mercer, LIU Brooklyn, UTEP, Iowa State, Incarnate Word, Boise State, Toledo, Buffalo, UT Rio Grande Valley, UT Arlington.

He's probably not getting off the bench as a junior either Virginia is recruiting a 4 star player at the two-guard for their incoming class and they have a freshman who played about the same minutes as Anthony did.

And honestly I pulled his name out of the roster, I've never seen the kid play (or more than mop up duty and probably not even then), and I have no idea of his skills or talents.

But what would a 6'6" wing former 3 star recruit do at UMaine in the America East? And second question, if you were Marco Anthony would you rather be a 5 minute a game player on a National Champion or would you rather play 34 minutes a game and be an all conference player in the America East?
Linguist

Re: Off Topic - But What If

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Linguist wrote:As I watch college basketball during the season and throughout the tournament and I watch the top schools go along through the year I often wonder about those players who are out of the minutes rotation and are 9-10-11-12 on the depth chart. What if those players decided to go to UMaine and start instead of sit on the bench at Virginia.

You know kind of like the Andy Bedard, Nate Fox experiment. Nate Fox barely played at Boston College. Yet at Maine he was an all-conference player and banked money playing pro ball in Europe That was never his future by staying at BC.

So hypothetically let's take Marco Anthony off the UVA Cavaliers and put him in a Maine uniform.

Anthony is a 6'6" guard buried on the bench behind De'Andre Hunter and Kyle Guy for the Wahoos.

He was a 3 star recruit coming out of high school, yet in his sophomore year at UVa he averaged 5.4 minutes in 22 games played with 0 starts. He scored 1.2 points per game, half a rebound, half an assist.

Pretty paltry numbers, but he is a national champion now, but he didn't play. And let's face it he wasn't a big time highly sought after recruit, he had interest from the likes of Sam Houston State, UT San Antonio, Mercer, LIU Brooklyn, UTEP, Iowa State, Incarnate Word, Boise State, Toledo, Buffalo, UT Rio Grande Valley, UT Arlington.

He's probably not getting off the bench as a junior either Virginia is recruiting a 4 star player at the two-guard for their incoming class and they have a freshman who played about the same minutes as Anthony did.

And honestly I pulled his name out of the roster, I've never seen the kid play (or more than mop up duty and probably not even then), and I have no idea of his skills or talents.

But what would a 6'6" wing former 3 star recruit do at UMaine in the America East? And second question, if you were Marco Anthony would you rather be a 5 minute a game player on a National Champion or would you rather play 34 minutes a game and be an all conference player in the America East?

Linguist": I get your jest. But what about the ones that come to Maine because they have no other choices and then find out they are good enough and they transfer like has happened repeatedly.

Out-of-state players use Maine as a stepping stone just like the out-of-state AD's, presidents, coaches, etc. do if they get a chance.

"The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence", although Calixe and Vann got to the BIG dance.

"You can please some of the players some of the time, but you can't please all of the players all of the time".

Location, location, location is Maine's problem along with never been to the Dance.

Agree on Fox and Bedard but that was years ago, just like my offense is I guess.

Best bet is international players as they don't seem to transfer. In fact, Eze is the first scholarshipped international player to transfer in the past 5 seasons. And his could be about his grad program not basketball. Maybe Maine didn't have what he wanted for a Grad Degree. Right now of the 12 players returning only Fleming and Moss are from the state of Maine and their are no out-of-staters from the USA. They are either from overseas or Canada.

Usually if any player from the states (not Maine) come to Maine they are bringing some type of basketball baggage with them or they would be going some where else, If they come to Maine then it is probably their only offer and if they are good enough when they get here they are going to transfer if they get a chance. Cold winters and a colder win-loss records don't sit to well for out-of-staters. Calixe and Vann moved on to winning programs and the BIG Dance. That will just encourage future out-of-staters if Maine ever gets anymore to do the same...transfer if good enough.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:52 am

Not my point at all BCBC55, and not the intention of the thread.

Good attempt at derailing it with your trite diatribe.

Now that we are passed that, what about the actual point of the question.

Linguist

Postby bcbc55 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Linguist wrote:Not my point at all BCBC55, and not the intention of the thread.

Good attempt at derailing it with your trite diatribe.

Now that we are passed that, what about the actual point of the question.

"Linguist": Depends on where I could get the best education. If they were equal I would rather play at Maine.

But I might transfer if I had a chance to move up and still play. Don't like cold winter weather.
bcbc55

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics