America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Postby imposter » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:42 am

Wasn't Dave Cowens 6'8"?
imposter
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Re: America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:37 pm

imposter wrote:Wasn't Dave Cowens 6'8"?


"imposter": And Bill Russell was only 6'9" and Wilt "The Stilt" was 7'1".

Some players that are 6'8" or 6'9" play 7' and some play 6'5" or 6'6" or some 7'0" play 6'8" or 6'9" or smaller.

If 7" "Shaq" was 6'6" he wouldn't have ever played in the NBA. The same for Wilt.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 12481
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:04 pm

mainejeff wrote:Why is Cim more obsessed with size over performance?


"mainejeff": Because if you know how to use it correctly then you will have a more effective 3 point game and get to the foul line more, but Maine better improve their 3 point shooting 31.1% and foul shooting 64.8% regardless if they get an immediate BIG that can help right away.

There is no reason why they shot so poorly for the year, except that the players must not have got the needed help to improve their shooting percentages, especially from the foul line.

Not going inside-outside enough for their threes could have been a reason why their 3 point percentage was down as the highest percentage way to get 3 open threes is going inside to the block and then back outside to the wing.

The next highest percentage way to get 3's is dribble penetration and kickouts to the wings.

Reasons open shooter is usually open is because passers are below the foul line when the kickout pass is made to the open wing player because of help defense on both moves and wings are already squared to the basket.

Those two things and then of course having the proper 4 perimeter players and single block player spaced correctly so that the defense plays a big price for open threes and open layups when the defense double downs to double team the post player on the block or when the help defender has to help out on the dribble penetration.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 12481
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Postby mainejeff » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:31 pm

Larger size could lead to problems penetrating.....which could lead to poorer performance.
User avatar
mainejeff
 
Posts: 14835
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Re: America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:40 pm

mainejeff wrote:Larger size could lead to problems penetrating.....which could lead to poorer performance.


"mainejeff": Just want one ready to go BIG that is all and how much dribble penetration and kickouts did they use this past season to shoot 31.1% for 3's without a quality BIG? Or inside-outside from the block for that matter, that was even less.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 12481
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Postby Linguist » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:15 am

bcbc55 wrote:
Linguist wrote:BCBC55

I covered this on a previous thread. There aren't 6'10" 250# guys out there.

If they exist they aren't coming to Maine.

Stop looking


"Linguist": OK then,of the 7 6'7" pluses on the roster who will play the post or will they play post less?


Stop looking at the game from a 1950's-1990's lens.

The game has evolved and changed. In your time capsule Kevin Durant would be a post up, back to the basket center. So would Paul George and Giannis Antetokounmpo, and countless others.

I prefer this version of basketball to the old plodding style.

So to answer your question, I would guess Maine continues to run Richard Barron's system with screens and back cuts, and not run a Center on one block, a power forward on the other low block, a small forward on the high post, a shooting guard on the wing, and a point guard pounding the ball in to the floor and passing it to one person in a standard format.
Linguist
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 9:56 am

Re: America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 am

if Bob just has to have a center, a former Maine recruit Fardaws Aimaq was just granted his release from Mercer due to a coaching change.
User avatar
UMaineSuperfan
 
Posts: 4806
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:47 pm
Location: Orono, Maine

Re: America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Linguist wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:
Linguist wrote:BCBC55

I covered this on a previous thread. There aren't 6'10" 250# guys out there.

If they exist they aren't coming to Maine.

Stop looking


"Linguist": OK then,of the 7 6'7" pluses on the roster who will play the post or will they play post less?


Stop looking at the game from a 1950's-1990's lens.

The game has evolved and changed. In your time capsule Kevin Durant would be a post up, back to the basket center. So would Paul George and Giannis Antetokounmpo, and countless others.

I prefer this version of basketball to the old plodding style.

So to answer your question, I would guess Maine continues to run Richard Barron's system with screens and back cuts, and not run a Center on one block, a power forward on the other low block, a small forward on the high post, a shooting guard on the wing, and a point guard pounding the ball in to the floor and passing it to one person in a standard format.


"Linguist": I didn't say I would have two players on the blocks

The spacing would be the BIG on the block, two wings even with the foul line extended outside the 3 point line and the two guards even with the free throw lane line extended outside the 3 point line. This makes it very hard to double the post without giving up open 3's and open layups. It makes the defense pay a big price if they want to double down on the block.

It is a continuity offense so all players have to know how to play all 5 positions.

The offense features:
1. Getting the ball to the block top go 1 on 1
2. Gettiing the ball to the block or forcing a double team before the ball gets there resulting in open threes or open layups
3 Rear screens
4. Back cuts
5. Give and Go's
6. Screen away from the ball & Rolls
7. Screens to the ball & Rolls
8. Passing and going to get the ball back
9. Faking 2 thru 7 and cutting to hoop
10. Faking 2 thru 7 and looping back for a three
11. Only time a player dribbles is when he cannot pass the ball and dribble penetrates as there is no help defense because they are up on their man this leaves the penetrator 2 on one with the block player
112 If can't pass or dribble he fakes pass and that is a signal for the teammate he fakes the pass to to back door cut

This offense has all that Barron's offers and more and it has all 5 players being able to play each positions and after the play is ran and not successful you have different players in the 5 different spots. It requires all players to be able to post up on the block effectively.

A player who starts on the block to start the offense may not get back to the block until he has been at all 4 other positions.

So when you say Durant, etc. would be a back-to-the-basket player in my offense your right one time if he was on the block to start the offense and once it started he would be somewhere else facing the basket.

This offense is keyed on what the player with the ball does after he passes it to a teammate. They are.

Pass and stay
Pass and screen away
Pass and screen to ball
Pass and cut old give and go
Pass and go get the ball back
Pass and fake one of the above and then either cut to hoop or loop back for a three
Can't pass then fake a pass
Can't pass then dribble penetrate

These things are done depending upon how the passer is being played with or after he passes the ball and the player he wants to pass to is being played.

It is a free lance system using the above depending upon how the defense is playing the player with the ball and the how the player he wants to pass the ball to is being played.

Every time a perimeter player receives the ball if he doesn't have a shot first then he looks for the player on the block second and gets him the ball if he is open before he does any of the things above third.

The key to this floor spacing is that all 4 perimeter players have to be outside the 3 point line and above or even with the free throw line and lane extended and the 5 on the block on the side of the ball. This makes it very hard to double down on the player on the block before or after he gets the ball without paying a big price for an open three or an open layup depending whose man is the defender that doubles down on the block.

Spacing

.......................... 1........ 2


.............3........ ...._______ ..............4
...........................Foul line

.


........................5
.........................__o___
__________________________________________
1 has ball
1 & 2 even with free throw lane extended and just outside 3 pt. line
3 & 4 even with free throw line extended and just outside 3 pt line
5 on block on ball side
Last edited by bcbc55 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55
 
Posts: 12481
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

Re: America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Postby Linguist » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 pm

yeah, I will admit I didn't read much more than the first line of that BCBC55.

I appreciate the breakdown, but I skipped over it. That was going to go in my head like the sound of Charlie Brown's teacher.

Sorry.

I was not looking for an X's and O's. My point was (and you may have proven or disproven it with your lengthy post) that you wouldn't run sets for the modern game of basketball. Richard Barron is doing that, almost all coaches are doing that now, and it doesn't involve back to the basket post up game. Because otherwise Kevin Durant was going to be a Center and LeBron James would be a power forward in your universe. I like the current era much better.
Linguist
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 9:56 am

Re: America East Men's BB BIGS & Scholarships left

Postby bcbc55 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Linguist wrote:yeah, I will admit I didn't read much more than the first line of that BCBC55.

I appreciate the breakdown, but I skipped over it. That was going to go in my head like the sound of Charlie Brown's teacher.

Sorry.

I was not looking for an X's and O's. My point was (and you may have proven or disproven it with your lengthy post) that you wouldn't run sets for the modern game of basketball. Richard Barron is doing that, almost all coaches are doing that now, and it doesn't involve back to the basket post up game. Because otherwise Kevin Durant was going to be a Center and LeBron James would be a power forward in your universe. I like the current era much better.


"Linguist": I just finished editing it after you posted above. AIl 5 players to be able to play all 5 positions, it is a continuity set which requires all 5 to be able to play on the block and post up in the continuity. The sets are the same as Barron's and even more so it would fit right into today's so called modern era. Back door cuts,screens to, one on one's, screens away, down screens, rear screens, flash cuts, dribble penetration, block post ups, etc. Ran this back in the 90's, nothing new. Just different terminology.

However, it does get more higher percentage open 3 threes because of the floor spacing which makes defenses pay a big price if they double down to double team the block or help out on dribble penetration when the ball goes inside-outside from the block on kick outs and gets open threes from dribble penetration and kick outs because the 3 point shooters are already open, stationary and squared to the basket.

Maine needs more of that to improve on their 31.1% from beyond the arc and they better improve their poor foul shooting of 64.8% although they don't get there much as they are averaging only 14.1 foul shot attempts per game..
bcbc55
 
Posts: 12481
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 am

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bones, thebam and 33 guests