Why UMaine men's hockey is struggling under Gendron

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Why UMaine men's hockey is struggling under Gendron

Postby CFJunior » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:32 pm

To read all the comments on the bottom of this BDN article they obviously are not Red Gendron fans. They all want a change. I agree with them, but Maine doesn't have the cash to buy out Red's contract. They had already bought out two coaches contracts prior to Red's arrival. Coach Blodgett and Coach Whitehead. The Whitehead buy out might have been a mistake as it turns out.

Maine hockey is likely in for another .500 season next year. None of the incoming recruits appear to be high end talent players like the some of the players Coach Whitehead recruited. Nyquist, Flynn, House, Shore, and of course Ben Bishop. Where might we be right now if Scott Darling finishes his last year, instead of Dave Wilson? Maine was one of the hottest teams in the nation, had the best power play in D1 hockey but Wilson couldn't stop a beach ball against BC in the title game Maine lost 7-6 in OT. Darling plays in that game Maine wins, and Whitehead is likely still the Maine coach. But what could have been.

Because Coach Whitehead is a class act he wouldn't make light of the numbers under Coach Gendron. He could of course but he wouldn't. The Tim Whitehead firing was a mistake. I said it when it happened and it feels so good to be vindicated. I'm sure privately he feels vindicated as well.
CFJunior

Postby Blackbear28 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:20 pm

CFJunior wrote:To read all the comments on the bottom of this BDN article they obviously are not Red Gendron fans. They all want a change. I agree with them, but Maine doesn't have the cash to buy out Red's contract. They had already bought out two coaches contracts prior to Red's arrival. Coach Blodgett and Coach Whitehead. The Whitehead buy out might have been a mistake as it turns out.

Maine hockey is likely in for another .500 season next year. None of the incoming recruits appear to be high end talent players like the some of the players Coach Whitehead recruited. Nyquist, Flynn, House, Shore, and of course Ben Bishop. Where might we be right now if Scott Darling finishes his last year, instead of Dave Wilson? Maine was one of the hottest teams in the nation, had the best power play in D1 hockey but Wilson couldn't stop a beach ball against BC in the title game Maine lost 7-6 in OT. Darling plays in that game Maine wins, and Whitehead is likely still the Maine coach. But what could have been.

Because Coach Whitehead is a class act he wouldn't make light of the numbers under Coach Gendron. He could of course but he wouldn't. The Tim Whitehead firing was a mistake. I said it when it happened and it feels so good to be vindicated. I'm sure privately he feels vindicated as well.

Just because Gendron wasn't the right man for the job certainly doesn't mean Tim was. He wasn't a good fundraiser, didn't promote the team well and was a mediocre at best coach who needed Grant's recruits to have success. He inherited a Ferrari and left a busted Honda Civc behind. Gendron's lack of success certainly doesn't vindicate Whitehead and it's laughable to think it does. As bad as this season was, Tim's last year (also his first year without Grant's recruits) the team scored less goals per game, were worse on the powerplay and somehow managed to be even less disciplined than this years team was. In what would does that make Tim a good coach?

It's clearly time to move on from Gendron as players don't develop under him and his in game coaching is questionable. Hindsight is 20-20 but it clearly should've been Monty's job. If he had come in and did even half as well as he did at Denver you'd be laughed out of the room for suggesting it was a mistake firing Whitehead.
Blackbear28

Postby LesMillsRockstar » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:49 pm

CFJunior wrote:To read all the comments on the bottom of this BDN article they obviously are not Red Gendron fans. They all want a change. I agree with them, but Maine doesn't have the cash to buy out Red's contract. They had already bought out two coaches contracts prior to Red's arrival. Coach Blodgett and Coach Whitehead. The Whitehead buy out might have been a mistake as it turns out.

If Darling is able to keep his head on straight and if Abbott is healthy, the 2011-12 team could've at least made the Frozen Four, if not gone all the way.

And correct me if I'm wrong but if the University would choose to move on from Red, they'd only have to eat one year's salary?
LesMillsRockstar

Postby fafan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:48 pm

LesMillsRockstar wrote:

If Darling is able to keep his head on straight and if Abbott is healthy, the 2011-12 team could've at least made the Frozen Four, if not gone all the way.

And correct me if I'm wrong but if the University would choose to move on from Red, they'd only have to eat one year's salary?

Wrong, we owe Red 2 more years. So if a buyout is to occur it would be next year.
Jeff Solari's rebuttal to Larry's article, that didn't take long at all.

The excuses for UMaine hockey are very well polished. But what’s the plan?
April 1, 2019Home, SportsJeff Solari, Maine black bears, red gendron, Sports Chowdah
By Jeff Solari
Share1
Right here on this site you’ll see a great article from BDN Maine Sportswriter Larry Mahoney addressing the mediocre state of the University of Maine hockey program. It is very well done. Nobody walking this planet knows more about Black Bear hockey than Larry.

His article is thorough and fair. He points out evidence of coaching deficiencies such as the teams annual offensive woes and lofty penalty minutes resulting from undisciplined players.

But he took the time to speak with new Maine Director of Athletics Ken Ralph and six year head coach Red Gendron. Which means the column is predictably filled to the brim with the same tired excuses that we have heard from the coaches and the athletic administration in Orono for years.

It’s hard to recruit to Orono. The Alfond needs to be renovated. Maine can’t pay our coaches what others can. The landscape has changed and is sprinkled with fiery upstarts.

After every losing season you can apply checkmarks to the same laundry list of cop outs.

If your child spouted this endless stream of excuses for why they can’t succeed at a project you’d send them to their room to do some positive thinking.

So, I ask Ken Ralph, the administration, the boosters who defend the current coach and Red Gendron: “What’s the plan to make UMaine hockey relevant again?”

In the next three to five years what will you all do show Black Bear fans that you are serious about at least being a legit Hockey East threat, and perhaps a Frozen Four contender?

Is the AD working on it? Will there be a Blue Ribbon committee? A capital campaign? More coaches who focus on recruiting? Reallocation of resources? More marketing? Bring back the Black Bear Advisory Board? Lean on famous program alumni?

And when will we hear about it? Later this spring? Summer? By the end of the year?

Much thought has gone into creating the well documented list of excuses. I’d love to hear about possible solutions to some of these problems.

As I tell my 10 year old twin daughters all the time, “Whether you think you can, or you think can’t, you’re right.”

Time to stop thinking about what we can’t do in Orono and think about what we will do to be better.

Share1
Jeff Solari
About Jeff Solari
Jeff Solari is the president and founder of the Sports Chowdah, Maine’s only free, weekly sports e mail newsletter. Recently, the Mount Desert Island native was the co-host of "The Drive" on 92.9 FM in Bangor.
fafan

Postby hoopsisme » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:33 pm

The memories are short. Remember the NCAA and sanctions? Let's start giving extra benefits again. Might help!
Landscape has changed dramatically. Would be great if it could change but I
Think we are late to that party.
hoopsisme

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics