Spring Football MegaThread

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Spring Football MegaThread

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:35 am

Not to tell an 18 year old how to live their life, BUT, if you're a running back who is good an unsigned this late in the cycle...isn't Maine like a really good destination?

Basically guaranteed playing time on a really really good roster. Set QB, set OL, set WR corps...

If Maine gets someone this late it would be like Nigel Beckford a few years ago. He didn't pan out due to injury but he certainly had the talent.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby BearDown » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:26 pm

Exactly UMSF...this is a great time period for post spring-ball dropout. Guys who shoot their shot in FBS Spring Ball and see they probably still won't crack the lineup the next season -end up going to the portal.

My concern is that our backs have been so stellar the last 2 years, and our team so good this last year, that I'm not certain a non starting FBS back is really who we want at the level we've been competing at...not to mention we'll have 4 FBS games in the next 2 years anyways -we need a guy who can compete at that level.

Also, a guy who quit his last team because he wasn't getting playing time isn't the kind of guy we should be gunning for...

Now I don't feel as optimistic about my opening statement. I've talked myself out of it. Damnit Ernie! If you weren't too busy shoving the EWU guy after the play on 2nd down you probably would've been focused to catch that 3rd down pass
BearDown

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:07 am

Maine has had really good running back play the last two seasons.

I wasn't really thinking about taking on transfers but I'm down for any player better than what we currently have, which aside from Fitzpatrick, is not starting level on a conference championship level squad.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby BearDown » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:19 pm

Anyone go to the game today?
BearDown

Postby fafan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:44 pm

BearDown wrote:Anyone go to the game today?

Yes, made a last second decision to go as it rained all the way to the game but stopped just around noon, NWS was spot on. Game didn't start till 12:30 and it looked like the defense was going to rule until the 3rd or 4th possession and then a Fergy to Devin Young set up a TD. This receiving corps may be one of the best we have seen with Young, Miller and Blair leading the way. Millers size and strength allow him to go up get the ball over most DB's. Shears and Barnes look like the next WR's, EE has pulled a hammie but doesn't sound serious. Shawn Bowman could be a big weapon at TE.
I do not think our RB's are as bad as some think. Velez looks like he put some weight and ran well and Bouhalloufa had a nice 28 yd run. Brooks looks like he could do something but his team just didn't get him any holes to run in.
We may have a new weapon at the goal line, 330# Liam Dobson came in on a third and one and punched it in, what a house!!!

Defense was tough as heck with all types of depth, no Mitchell and the new DB's look good with Huffman and Isiah Gaynor who I think is a transfer leading the way. He is only 180 but hits and defends really well.

There was a walk on kicker from Portland, John Williams who kicked PAT's well had no idea how big Grant Hartley was at 6'2" and 236 and I thought he outperformed Walsh and reminds me of Belcher when he runs the ball, does throw better though.

Still think this team can compete for another CAA title. 4 months until opening nite against Sacred Heart, can't wait GO BLUE!!!
fafan

Postby MattyB » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:18 am

Hartley tosses winning TD in Maine’s spring game: https://t.co/W5gry57I4A

Hartley is making the most of his opportunities at UMaine: https://t.co/kp6dAfNHaR
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
MaineSports.Net
MattyB

Postby fafan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:45 am

Article in BDN mentions we might better than we thought at the RB position.

Running backs show off skills in UMaine’s Cole Memorial Blue-White football game

JOE MAHONEY | AP
Maine's Adrian Velez (49) bobbles the ball but maintains control for a big gain against Richmond during an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, in Richmond, Va. (Joe Mahoney/Richmond Times-Dispatch via AP)
By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff • April 28, 2019 7:00 am
Updated: April 28, 2019 3:21 pm
ORONO, Maine — Depth is needed at every position on a football team and that is particularly true at the running back position.

With standout redshirt freshman running back Ramon Jefferson (suspension) and junior Joe Fitzpatrick (injury) sitting out Saturday’s 15th annual Jeff Cole Memorial Blue-White game at Alfond Stadium, that meant inexperienced running backs would get the opportunity to show their stuff.

Sophomores Elijah Brooks and Brandon Washington and freshmen Adrian Velez and Zac Bouhalloufa combined for 103 yards on 26 carries as the White team beat the Blue team 21-14 in front of approximately 200 fans on an overcast afternoon.

It was the first time in more than a decade that UMaine played a Blue-White game as opposed to a controlled scrimmage with a defense vs. offense format.

Velez and Brooks played sparingly last fall, while Washington is a converted tight end and Bouhalloufa didn’t get any snaps.

Velez, a 5-foot-9, 180-pounder from Manhattan, New York, carried the ball eight times for 30 yards and caught three passes for 15 more yards.

“I have to work on my speed, my vision and ball security … everything,” Velez said. “I’m going to focus on learning the offense and becoming more valuable to the team.”

The 6-foot, 215-pound Bouhalloufa, a native of Plymouth, Massachusetts, gained 42 yards on seven carries.

“For a bunch of young guys, we couldn’t have asked for more. We’re grateful,” said Bouhalloufa. “It’s definitely a position where you get (injured) so when somebody goes down, you have to have the next-man-up mentality.”

Brooks, a 5-9, 207-pounder from Fall River, Massachusetts, picked up 23 yards on seven carries.

“I have been waiting for this opportunity for three years,” said Brooks. “It went pretty well. The offensive linemen opened up a lot of good holes and we did our jobs.”

Washington, a 5-8, 220-pounder from Atlanta, had four carries for eight yards as he continues to adjust to the new position.

“The transition has gone better than I thought it would,” said Washington. “I’ve been hard on myself to push myself to get better and to be precise.”

He said he and the other three backs took it as an opportunity to show their coaches and teammates that they can trust them.

Starting quarterback Chris Ferguson liked what he saw from the backs.

“Those guys were running hard,” said Ferguson. “I’m excited those guys are getting a lot of work right now.”

“The more reps they get, the better they get,” said UMaine head coach Nick Charlton. “These types of live situations are important for them.”

The one rushing touchdown in the game came from 6-2, 330-pound Liam Dobson — a second-team All-CAA offensive guard. He barreled in from the 2.

“He’s super athletic,” said Charlton. “He can dunk a basketball. He can do anything.”

There was also another trick play as wide receiver Jaquan Blair tossed an 11-yard TD pass to tight end Daniel Rymer.

Ferguson (9-for-15 passing, 93 yds.) threw an 8-yard TD pass to wide receiver Devin Young and redshirt freshman Jayvaun Shears (4 receptions, 18 yds.) made a nice leaping catch for a 3-yard TD reception from Ferguson.

“Jay’s going to play this year,” said an impressed Ferguson. “He’s been improving, he’s been working hard.”

Redshirt freshman tight end Shawn Bowman was also noticeable as he used his 6-5 frame to snare three balls for 25 yards.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Ryan Walsh was 5-for-9 for 31 yards and true freshman Grant Hartley from Auburn was 2-for-4 for 66 yards, including the game-winning TD toss. Hartley threw a 55-yard TD strike to wide-open freshman Clark Barnes.

The quarterbacks, safeties, center Chris Mulvey and the kickers/punters played for both teams.

Defensive standouts included cornerback Katley Joseph and safety Erick Robertson, who each made two interceptions, along with ends Jamehl Wiley and Kayon Whitaker.

Freshman walk-on John Williams kicked the extra points authoritatively and had some good kickoffs. Starting kicker Kenny Doak was out with an injury.

“I thought it was great,” said Charlton. “The team took it seriously and they were very competitive. That’s how our kids are. I was really happy with that.”

“Coach Charlton making it a Blue-White game was awesome,” said Ferguson. “I got hooked up with different guys like (Shears). The energy was there. It brought us together. That was the biggest thing today.”

The game is named in memory of former UMaine assistant coach Jeff Cole, who died of cancer in 2004.
fafan

Postby MattyB » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:10 am

UMaine safety rewarded with full scholarship after a career of outstanding play: https://t.co/74gq2XedwS
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
MaineSports.Net
MattyB

Postby fafan » Tue May 21, 2019 9:03 am

Didn't quite know where to post this so throwing it out here. What is the status of redoing the football field? Dunbar I think you posted last year it was scheduled for replacement this year. Is it still a go for this summer, god knows it should have been done a couple of years ago :oops:
fafan

Postby BearDown » Tue May 21, 2019 12:31 pm

I feel like we would have heard something publicly about it by this point and work would have started already. Roughly a month to tear up/put down. Give it time to settle in and let the summer workouts/camps/etc on it before Fall Camp starts. Seems too late for that to happen at this point. I'm aware they can do these things in a week or two but I've never known Maine to operate with that sense of urgency.
BearDown

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics