Spring Football MegaThread

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Spring Football MegaThread

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:26 pm

Figured it'd be good to have a single thread for all spring ball related content. I obviously get if media outlets want to create individual threads for their articles.

Today (Saturday) is the first live practice with pads.

In some limited clips on twitter, we can see a little bit of what's happening.

There is a tweet that shows a blown up running play in a rep for the Ones. It looks like the OLine is Docos, Garcia, Mulvey, Dobson, and Royal (one would assume Gerace would be on there somewhere when healthy?). Can't tell who the RB is. Ferg at QB. Laverriere and Bowman in at TE. Blair at WR.

On defense it's the usual suspects. Wiley, Mitchell, Oregon, and Whitaker up front. Stevens and Lowe at LB, and a personal favorite of mine based on his HS tape, TJ Jones at linebacker as well. Looks like Grayer is injured, per another tweet of him in sweats and the PPH article saying as much, so Jones looks to be the stand in there. On the back end it looks like Huffman is playing safety, and Jordan Swann is back at CB.
UMaineSuperfan

Re: Spring Football MegaThread

Postby BearDown » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Anyone heading out there today?
BearDown

Postby Blind Zebra » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:02 am

Wouldn’t surprise me to see TJ Jones starting at the rover spot once occupied by Sterling Sheffield. Jones has the same type of athleticism/body type as Sheff. Grayer is a talented guy, but he’s had injury issues and is more suited to one of the inside spots. Taji Lowe beat him out last season and really played well. Good call by the coaching staff to add Huffman to the safety mix. Huffman has played a lot and makes sense to have a senior quarterbacking the secondary. Kinda thought they might put St Lot in the mix at safety due to his length and athleticism. I like Robertson a lot. Solid tackler with good speed. Maine has a ton of quality depth & experience at safety & corner. I’m not at all worried about replacing 2 starting safeties. Corner they have talent and depth with Patterson, Joseph, Swann and Carr.
Blind Zebra

Postby fafan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:02 am

Good article in the BDN about Andre Miller but more importantly it mentions that players think the transition from Harasymiak to Charlton is going real smooth. Think many of us were concerned just because Harasymiak had related so well to the players, nice to know things are going well with the new coaching staff. If you can't open article I could copy n paste it.
https://bangordailynews.com/2019/04/03/ ... ut-season/
fafan

Postby fafan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 am

If anyone can make first scrimmage tomorrow at 10 am would love to hear a report. Nice overview of the offense from the new OC, really think this team can have another good year!!!

https://goblackbears.com/news/2019/4/10 ... h=football
fafan

Postby BearDown » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:37 pm

The new D Coord has the charisma of a wet blanket. We're gonna miss Heatherman's energy.

https://goblackbears.com/news/2019/4/12 ... e+(Defense)&utm_content=841a171f-22ec-4be1-b021-0bc6f16d9d1a
BearDown

Postby fafan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:03 pm

BearDown wrote:The new D Coord has the charisma of a wet blanket. We're gonna miss Heatherman's energy.

https://goblackbears.com/news/2019/4/12 ... e+(Defense)&utm_content=841a171f-22ec-4be1-b021-0bc6f16d9d1a

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the defensive coaches have some more energy.
fafan

Postby Rams1998 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Postby fafan » 13 Apr 2019 02:03

BearDown wrote:
The new D Coord has the charisma of a wet blanket. We're gonna miss Heatherman's energy.

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully the defensive coaches have some more energy.

A while back, I was involved in interviewing Mike Ryan. It did not go particularly well. I was surprised when he got hired at Maine, and shocked when he was named DC. Hopefully, he’s evolved. I am more than willing to wait and see.
Rams1998

Postby MattyB » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:45 am

Ferguson feeling healthy at UMaine spring football practice: https://t.co/M29gIzbouR
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
MaineSports.Net
MattyB

Postby fafan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:03 am

BDN overview of past weekend scrimmage and final Blue/White scrimmage on the 27th.

UMaine football coach wants to reinstate spring Blue-White game

Joe Mahoney | AP
Maine's Adrian Velez (49) bobbles the ball but maintains control for a big gain against Richmond during an NCAA college football game Saturday, Nov. 10, 2018, in Richmond, Va.
By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff • April 17, 2019 1:00 am
University of Maine first-year head football coach Nick Charlton hopes to turn its spring scrimmage into an actual game.

Each spring, the Black Bears honor a beloved former assistant coach by playing what has been called the Jeff Cole Memorial Spring Scrimmage. But Charlton wants the 15th edition to be a Blue-White game, rather than a controlled scrimmage pitting the offense against the defense and having a points system determine the winner.

The Cole game is scheduled for noon Saturday, April 27, on Morse Field in at Alfond Stadium in Orono.

It will be the third of three spring scrimmages, the first of which was held last Saturday.

“I want to create excitement for the game. This will be the closest to a real football game that you’ll have before the fall,” Charlton said. “It will be a good opportunity for the people who support the team to see them play.”

The Blue-White game was abandoned several years ago because the coaching staff was concerned there were not enough healthy players to have two full teams.

“We’re going to take a look at it to see if we’re comfortable enough with the injury situation to do it,” Charlton said.

UMaine is thin at running back, so those players may have to compete for both the Blue and White teams. There are only four available running backs in redshirt freshmen Adrian Velez and Zac Bouhalloufa, and juniors Elijah Brooks and Brandon Washington, a converted tight end.

Sophomore Ramon Jefferson (suspension) and junior Joe Fitzpatrick (injury), the team’s two leading rushers last year, won’t participate in scrimmages.

Another thin position is quarterback where there are three players available after redshirt freshman Isaiah Robinson transferred to Hampton University in Virginia.

Baltimore native Robinson stepped in for starting quarterback Chris Ferguson (shoulder injury) and completed 49 of 105 passes for 560 yards and two touchdowns in seven games. He was intercepted six times.

“That’s the nature of Division I college football. We liked him and he worked hard, but he was looking for a better fit, and we were very supportive of his decision,” Charlton said.

Ferguson and redshirt freshmen Ryan Walsh and Grant Hartley are the three quarterbacks. Walsh appeared in two games and completed both of his passes for 12 yards. Hartley, who played at Edward Little High School in Auburn, didn’t see any action.

Charlton said Walsh is a calm young man who understands the game.

“He’s a very competitive kid who takes it very seriously,” Charlton said. “He’s very mentally strong in the meeting room and just needs a little more time in a college weight room.”

Charlton said Saturday’s showing was competitive and a good first scrimmage for all involved.

“The offense, in general, had a lot of energy and executed at a very high level. They moved the ball pretty good which was a positive thing to see,” Charlton said. “I want us to go from being a very good offensive team to an elite offensive team.”
fafan

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics