Belcher Pro Day results vs other top FCS TE's

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Belcher Pro Day results vs other top FCS TE's

Postby BearDown » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:43 pm

BearDown

Re: Belcher Pro Day results vs other top FCS TE's

Postby MattyB » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:10 pm

Wright did, too.

Would be nice to start seeing 3-4 guys a year stick around the league.
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Postby BearDown » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:57 am

There was a 4-5 year stretch roughly between '07-'13 where Maine had more players on NFL rosters then any other FCS program in the country. Flynn, Cooper, Tatupu, McGowan, DeVito, Belcher, and Owens (am I missing someone?) were all playing at the same time. I think Cooper, Tatupu, and Owens may all have been captains and Owens scored two touchdowns in the Pro Bowl -not that the game matters in the slightest. Still...pretty impressive...would be fun to get back to seeing more Black Bears being successful in the NFL ranks.

The '01 team had Cooper, Tatupu, and McGowan starting on defense -think about that -3 solid future NFL players starting on the Maine D at the same time. It's unlikely we'll ever see that again but damn if the '18 and '19 Maine Defense couldn't come close to sending some guys who will legit contribute in the NFL.
BearDown

Postby fafan » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:17 pm

BearDown wrote:There was a 4-5 year stretch roughly between '07-'13 where Maine had more players on NFL rosters then any other FCS program in the country. Flynn, Cooper, Tatupu, McGowan, DeVito, Belcher, and Owens (am I missing someone?) were all playing at the same time. I think Cooper, Tatupu, and Owens may all have been captains and Owens scored two touchdowns in the Pro Bowl -not that the game matters in the slightest. Still...pretty impressive...would be fun to get back to seeing more Black Bears being successful in the NFL ranks.

The '01 team had Cooper, Tatupu, and McGowan starting on defense -think about that -3 solid future NFL players starting on the Maine D at the same time. It's unlikely we'll ever see that again but damn if the '18 and '19 Maine Defense couldn't come close to sending some guys who will legit contribute in the NFL.

Bear Down, great recall on the NFL players but you forgot the Maine native who never played HS football, played for 11 different NFL teams, caught a Tom Brady TD, Matt Mulligan. Probably followed his career more closely just cause he was a native and played for the Pats and Jets.

Sterling Sheffield had a good showing as well. Comparing FCS recruits to one another is nice but guess it won't have much impact come the draft. Has anyone heard if these 3 players have a chance of getting drafted or does it look like they will go Free Agent???
fafan

Postby BearDown » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:28 pm

...and was also on the roster at Husson College. I knew I was leaving someone out! Thanks @fafan.

Sheffield is probably a FA...and Belcher may end up being one too following his Pro Day results having only played the position for 2 seasons. All 3 may get rookie camp invites to participate for 2-3 days but I find it tough to imagine Micah landing in the NFL. May be an Arena/XFL/CFL type guy. His Pro-Day wasn't stellar but to be fair he's just over a year removed from major knee surgery (16 mos). Be curious to see how he's performing in 6 months.
BearDown

Postby O Head Man » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Bear Down - I think it was 2014 when Jeron MacMillon and Justin Perillo both stuck with the Packers just to add to your list.
O Head Man

Postby fafan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:50 pm

O Head Man wrote:Bear Down - I think it was 2014 when Jeron MacMillon and Justin Perillo both stuck with the Packers just to add to your list.

Good call on McMillian and Perillo. McMillian signed with the Packers in 2012 and lasted almost 2 seasons finishing with the Chiefs in 2014.
Perillo signed with the Packers in 2014 and finishing in 2016 with the Packers while having a 5 catch 58 yds and a TD from Aaron Rodgers in a game against the Lions in 2015.
fafan

Postby MattyB » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Highlights of 2019 #FCS #NFLDraft prospect Sterling Sheffield (Maine OLB): https://t.co/QEGatzcdZf
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
105Sports.com
MattyB

Postby BearDown » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:15 am

Damn was #6 good...great bend, get off, athleticism, and tenacity. I know we have a stud group coming back but it can't be overlooked how much he'll be missed.
BearDown

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics