Probable UM WBB 1st round NCAA Opponent

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Probable UM WBB 1st round NCAA Opponent

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:06 pm

I don't know if there is any first round opponent that Maine wants to play necessarily...
but I think there could be an upset in the making here if Maine ends up playing
Syracuse. I think they at least have a good shot and the fact that Syracuse is 7 hours away
some Maine fans may actually show up for the game. No doubt Syracuse will be a tough
opponent. Not sure where they match up the best either. Looks like we match up well inside.
On the three point not so much.

https://herosports.com/colleges/teams/s ... ball-stats

https://www.nunesmagician.com/2019/3/9/ ... ecap-semis
basketball_guy

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:27 am

Hope that none of the UMaine women's or Hartford's women' basketball players happen to read this thread here on MBR.

I believe in basketball KARMA and if anyone of either team should happen to read this thread "Probable UM WBB lst round NCAA Opponent" It sure could lead to giving Hartford some bulletin board motivation and make Maine maybe a little over confident.

As a former coach never liked anyone even our fans "to count our chickens before they hatch". Got to play one game at a time.

All the pressure is on Maine, being the top team and playing at home.

Hartford has nothing to lose and everything to gain, while Maine has everything to lose.

As I have said before in one and done win or go home game the pressure on being expected to win has a tendency to seem to have the rim get smaller and the ball get bigger at the basket of the team that has all the pressure on them. Look at Maine's shooting % for FG% 30.5% and 3 point shooting 28.6% in their win over Albany. It was the foul line that won the game for Maine.

Maine goes 24-26 from the line 92.3% and Albany 8-11 a 16 point differential and Maine wins by 15 points, 66-51.

Not many teams can shoot 30.5% from the floor and their opponents shoot 37.7% and win. Maine's defense and foul shooting was the difference.
bcbc55

Postby alumni1985 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:38 am

I agree bcbc... at halftime of the Maine-UNH quarterfinal game, the announcer told the crowd that the semi-final game would be Sunday at the Pit... we hadn't even won yet! I was thinking I was glad that the NH team was still in the locker room at the time.
alumni1985

Postby mainejeff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 am

bcbc55 wrote:Hope that none of the UMaine women's or Hartford's women' basketball players happen to read this thread here on MBR.

Don't worry....they aren't! :roll:
mainejeff

Postby Countryboy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 am

Does anybody know if the NCAA sends a charter jet to go to Syracuse, so it's a direct flight? If they go otherwise then they have to change planes and end up spending the same amount of time it would take to drive a bus to Syracuse. Just wondering.
Countryboy

Postby mainejeff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:11 am

Maine is playing Syracuse?
mainejeff

Postby Countryboy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:41 am

I'm 99.99% certain based on Geography and a good regional matchup in which I feel UMaine might travel well and bring some fans with them. We'll find out soon. I think they can get 2 buses of fans to go. Go Lady Black Bears!
Countryboy

Postby dunbar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 am

Countryboy wrote:Go Lady Black Bears!

Nope. Just Black Bears.
dunbar

Previous

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics