Eze and Ashley (plus White) leaving UM MBB

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Eze and Ashley (plus White) leaving UM MBB

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Guys: Just like the Maine men's FS% 64.5% and the 3 point shooting didn't improve 31.1% this past year neither did the two Maine Bigs Eze (who did get better, but he's leaving) that Walsh had for 2 red shirt years and 1 playing year and Barron this past season and Antoms who Walsh had for a season and Barron this past year.

Why didn't Eze and Antoms develop more and why didn't Maine improve their FS and 3 pt. shooting percentages as a team this year?

Right now it looks like 6'9" N. Prijovic and 6'9" Ingo could possibly be the ones to help in the post offensively and as rim protectors. Time will tell.

I would take a chance of Hartel IF HE WENT TO LEE PREP FOR A YEAR AND THEN RED SHIRTED HIS FRESHMEN YEAR HE NEEDED TO. He is not going to shrink the next two years.

Whoever ends up as the BIG, I hope improves more then Maine's Foul shooting and 3 point shooting this past year. Those two things should have been improved upon and been better and Maine would have won several more games.
bcbc55

Postby ExpoEddie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:37 pm

Does Maine in fact have a scout that can find the Jeff Cross or Nate? Fox. They missed on Kyle Robbins who found his home at University of Illi @ Chicago. CIM, I just don't think Hartel will go prep for a year, then red shirt another. With raw talent better at this stage then the before mentioned, folks should take a long hard look at this kid. Red shirt year, then he graduates with his Master's. He is an inch shorter than the other three, but has much better lift and sure looks like he can carry 15 or 20 pounds on his frame.
ExpoEddie

Postby dunbar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:46 pm

The scout that found the late Nate Fox was Andy Bedard. When Bedard transferred from Boston College, he brought his buddy from the Heights with him.
dunbar

Postby parquetfloor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:55 pm

So, all 3 guys that have already announced they are leaving will have their degree before they leave right? If so, how on earth can you hold that against them? I mean, given today's rules with the immediate eligibility of graduate transfers, I would do the same thing. Why not go somewhere and experience something different for a year and look to get a graduate degree from a different school?

I know they are still considered transfers, but this is very different situation than the typical transfer.
parquetfloor

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:13 pm

ExpoEddie wrote:Does Maine in fact have a scout that can find the Jeff Cross or Nate? Fox. They missed on Kyle Robbins who found his home at University of Illi @ Chicago. CIM, I just don't think Hartel will go prep for a year, then red shirt another. With raw talent better at this stage then the before mentioned, folks should take a long hard look at this kid. Red shirt year, then he graduates with his Master's. He is an inch shorter than the other three, but has much better lift and sure looks like he can carry 15 or 20 pounds on his frame.

"EE": OK, I agree, no prep red shirt at Maine. He still may grow some more as Ken Rassi, class of 1993 at John Bapst in Bangor was 6'5" as a sophomore had a wrist x-rayed for an injury and was told that he would be over 7'1". He was 6'11" when he graduated from high school and ended up 7'1" in college. Just have a wrist x-rayed and they can tell you if you have any room in your growth plate to grow.

Often wondered why college recruiters schools do not pay to have a recruit have their wrist x-rayed to see if they were going to grow any more or for that matter their parents.

Hartel I believe has potential. I just believe he did not get enough touches offensively on the block in the games I watched and the offensive setup did not allow for good floor spacing of his 4 teammates on the perimeter as it seemed it was very easy for opponents to double down on him to double team him with paying a big price of open 3's or open layups for his teammates or for him to go one one one if he wasn't doubled.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby dunbar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Also something to consider: Maine may not have the graduate program they are interested in or were not accepted into Maine's graduate school.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 pm

dunbar wrote:Also something to consider: Maine may not have the graduate program they are interested in or were not accepted into Maine's graduate school.

dunbar: But had they stayed at Maine for the graduate degree would they have been eligible to play for Maine next year especially Eze as he had used 2 red shirts? Wouldn't he still be under the 5 years to play 4 years?
bcbc55

Postby thebam » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:39 pm

dunbar wrote:Also something to consider: Maine may not have the graduate program they are interested in or were not accepted into Maine's graduate school.

Exactly. White is looking to get a Masters in a program not offered at Maine.
thebam

Postby dunbar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:53 pm

bcbc55 wrote:

dunbar: But had they stayed at Maine for the graduate degree would they have been eligible to play for Maine next year especially Eze as he had used 2 red shirts? Wouldn't he still be under the 5 years to play 4 years?

You've totally missed the point. It's not always about basketball.
dunbar

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:21 pm

dunbar wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:

You've totally missed the point. It's not always about basketball.

dunbar: I totally understand that it is not just about basketball. I just wondered if Eze had stayed would he have been eligible to play next year at Maine? Maine had to know he wasn't coming back last 11/20/18 when they used his scholarship to give to an incoming recruit for next year and with seniors Araujo and Ilija S's scholarships?
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics