Eze and Ashley (plus White) leaving UM MBB

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: Eze and Ashley (plus White) leaving UM MBB

Postby Blind Zebra » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:27 am

I believe Maine will be in good shape at the 4/5 spots so long as everyone is healthy. There just aren’t 6’10 & 6’11 posts in the America East who can play other than Otchere at Stony Brook. Anthony Lamb is 6’6 and by far the best post in the league. John Carroll from Hartford was the next best post at 6’8.
Maine will add:
6’8 Prijovic
6’8 Radakovic
6’9 Ingo
6’7 Ilouymade
Returning:
6’6 Fleming
6’8 Antoms
Still no one to match up with Lamb, but he is on another level with his combo of power, finesse and excellent shooting touch.
At the wing Maine will add:
6’6 Stumer
6’5 Yagodin
Returning:
6’8 Larsson
Shooting Guard Maine will add:
6’3 Wright-McLeish
Returning:
6’4 El-Darwich
****Point Guard position needs to addressed!!
1 player returning- 5’10 Terion Moss
El-Darwich can help here a bit, but seems to play better off the ball, where he can use his post up game.
I think Moss can and will improve, but Maine needs another true point who can really pass the ball and create for teammates when the sets break down.
Blind Zebra

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:37 am

BZ,

I'd prefer a more dynamic combo guard who can handle and score the basketball when needed. It's the only thing we don't have for a skill set, or am I missing something.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby Linguist » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:41 am

we can take Basketball-guy's word for it, or we can check out information on our own.

I didn't find him on Verbal Commits, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Here is what popped up on a google search.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/eric-vila ( he is number 11)

And further into the google search you find, watching the above video is irrelevant because he's going to UTEP.

https://twitter.com/UTEP_MBB/status/1104779545985593345

Ahh the great and powerful google machine dashes the hopes and dreams of another person who almost understands how the internet works.
Linguist

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:44 am

the posting of potential recruits on this board that have no known contact to UMaine is one of the most bizarre pheonomena I can remember.

solid job by B_G for not only posting about a player that has no relationship with UMaine, doesn't fill a need, and is already signed, all while misspelling his name while he was at it. Just a Hall of Fame level of incompetency.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby Linguist » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 am

I don't understand how it develops.

You know who would be a good get for Maine if they could pull it off?

Cole Anthony.

6'2" 180# point guard from Oak Hill Academy, 5 star recruit, ranked 4th in the nation by Rivals and he's unsigned right now. He went on 4 official visits (North Carolina, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Oregon) so he has 1 official visit remaining. I bet he takes it at Maine and with some work he might push Terion Moss for the starting point guard job by February.

Is that what happens?
Linguist

Postby UMaineSuperfan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:02 am

RE: Cim's/Linguist's posts about recruiting:

I went over to VerbalCommits and looked at what each America East team has left for open spots this year.

If my memory serves, 2/9 teams have no open spots left, 5/9 teams have 1-3 spots left, and 2/9 have 4+ spots left to fill in the late period.

I also checked in on the player pool, (http://verbalcommits.com/players_search ... &year=2019) Verbal commits put together a really nice searchable database of players with recruiting profiles that you can filter by class, size, availability, position, height, and location. I filtered the above link by class, availability, and location to the northeast including NY, NY, and PA. As you can see there are about 100 players of d1/d2 quality, as pretty much all of the players on those 5 pages have offers (I didn't take the time to explore each player page to see the quality of those offers), still available if you wanted to recruit stateside. The player pool is reduced, sure, but it's not dry. Filtering for just PG's and SG's, the position I think Maine should recruit heavily, there are about 60 players with offers in that pool. Difficult but not impossible.
UMaineSuperfan

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:08 am

by UMaineSuperfan » 15 Mar 2019 12:44
the posting of potential recruits on this board that have no known contact to UMaine is one of the most bizarre pheonomena I can remember.

solid job by B_G for not only posting about a player that has no relationship with UMaine, doesn't fill a need, and is already signed, all while misspelling his name while he was at it. Just a Hall of Fame level of incompetency.

Maine was already made aware of this guy at the beginning of January. However, they apparently decided not to pursue him or were probably already aware of the interest in UTEP. No, I was not aware of the UTEP signing although that must have just happened. Good luck to him and by the way Maine did sign another player from Northwest Florida last year so it is not that they don't recruit down here. Last years signee from Northwest Florida had no relationship to Maine either but they still recruited him. UTEP was probably already aware of him from his days at Texas A&M.

Further I disagree that it does not fill a need. In the Stony Brook Game they were driving right down the middle in way too many possessions and no one was there to stop them. I assume you think some guard can stop them down the middle. :lol: We can agree to disagree what is needed in the basketball program. They got beat inside all nite during the Stony Brook game.

Perhaps this opens things up for Andrew Hartel although he is either a preferred walkon or gets to go to Lee Academy if he even wants to go to UMAINE.

But no you are correct I disagree. They need a defensive stopper in the middle and that was what a lot of their
issues (among the many) were this year. They need help everywhere.
basketball_guy

Postby Linguist » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:14 am

And just to press the foolishness further.

Let us gander at that Rivals Top 150 list. https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2019

Look closely and see how many guys you can find 6'9" 250 pounds. You know the bigs Maine is missing and the ones who are true, back to the basket post players. The only players Maine doesn't grow locally so you have to go outside the state borders to find, the only reason to recruit outside of Guilford is for a 6'9", 250 banger.

On that top 150 are just 2 players.

1 is Vernon Carey, Jr, he is widely recognized as the best player in the nation : https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... -jr-179828

The other is going to Illinois https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/ ... urn-180529 His recruiting interest list is a who's who of college basketball. (Surprised he didn't come to Maine.)

But Gee Willikers that is only one location, there must be other 6'9" 250# players out there around the nation because some believe they just grow on trees.

So let's look at the 247 list https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Baske ... HighSchool

Vernon Carey - Duke
Kofi Cockburn - Illinois
Oscar Tshiebwe - West Virginia (rivals has him at 6'8" 230, 247 has him at 6'9, 250)

#75 Carl Lewis - still available, 6'9, 250 from California, looking at Georgetown, USC, and St. John's. (I think Maine should offer him now.)

the next one on their list is #255 - Jason Jitoboh of Tennessee, 6'10" 270. with interest from a bunch of schools, but the front runner appears to be Central Florida. https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jason ... Interests/

So there are 5 guys out of a 255 ranked players that meet the 6'9, 250 threshold. Can we stop thinking Maine is getting these kids?
Linguist

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:24 am

I do like the kid from Gould for next year. He could be the stopper they need. Hopefully it works out for Barron.
I do like the Hartel kid from Cape Elizabeth as well at 6 foot 9 but he needs either a year in prep school or a redshirt year. Lingquist is correct though, 6 foot 9 kids are not just walking around in Maine. If you find one I think you try to recruit him. I don't know if Hartel has been recruited at this point. He needs some work however, and I guess that is what prep school may help him with.

But with one scholarship left I guess Barron may have other ideas. We shall see.
basketball_guy

Postby basketball_guy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am

Linguist:

Do you think Andrew Hartel is worth taking a shot on. It is just at 6 foot 9. You can teach size. You can Coach size
and perhaps Maine could Coach him up. I don't know if Hartel is worth taking a shot on or not. I only saw him play
in the Wells game. He needs work and whether he gets that at prep school or takes a redshirt at Maine (if he even wants to go to Maine). A redshirt year could do him some good. But he would get that as well after one year at Lee Academy.

Just my thoughts.
basketball_guy

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics